brake noise - Mr T J Smith
Hello,

I have a curious problem with my car. When my brakes are warm, after say a sustained brake down a hill, at speeds over 60mph, a droning noise is set up and is damned annoying. there is no vibration, the braking potential doesn't go (i.e. no fade), and it is possible to push through the noise by braking much harder. As an example if approaching a dual carriageway roundabout at 70+ mph (on the continent!), and the brakes are applied gently the noise sets itself up, if however the roundabout is approached and the brakes really anchored on, the noise is much less likely to develop.

The brake pads fitted are mintex 1144 compound, running on solid discs, the manufacturer of which unfortunately escapes me at the moment.

Incidentally this noise is LOUD, and quite annoying. Before all the do-gooders get on to me about it, the brakes do honestly work brilliantly, asides from the noise! Car was recently serviced, brakes looked at, and nothing seemingly wrong!

Help!

Mr Smith

brake noise - cos
Your problem is caused by brake dust stuck between the linings. Try stripping down the brakes and cleaning the pads with a paint brush, use brake cleaner on the discs. Also use copper grease on the anti rattle clips as these can also squeal.
brake noise - Dynamic Dave
Try stripping down the brakes and cleaning the pads with a
paint brush,

Be careful not to inhale any of the dust. Some pads still contain asbestos.