Timpson keys - mscott

Has anyone got any experience of using Timpsons to cut replacement transponder car keys?

Timpson keys - johnnyrev

Yes, they couldnt do it. Wanted replacement Fiat key, and their computer said no.

Timpson keys - Armitage Shanks {p}

I think they can cut keys, the metal bits, but they can't programme electronics. What they cut for you will open the door, using the key in the lock but it won't be recognised when it is in the ignition and so won't start the car. Fiats are a special case ISTR? Something about a "master" Red key?

Timpson keys - Collos25

I think if you have not got the master red key then you are looking at a massive bill to replace the transponder if my memeory serves me correct you need new locks ,new ignition and a reprogrammed ECU.

Timpson keys - captain chaos

Surely if you needed a master key if you went along to a Fiat dealer with the VIN no. and proof of ownership they should be able to get you one? If you needed new locks, new ignition and a reprogrammed ECU that's a ridiculous state of affairs.

Timpson keys - Waino

On Sunday, my son managed to break the key in the bootlock of his '95 Corsa. The key broke halfway along the blade and, fortunately, the broken bit fell out again - so we didn't need the services of a locksmith.

I've found a duplicate blank key on e-bay for £7.99 - it has an un-programmed transponder and our local neighbourhood keycutter said that he could cut the blank OK with the second key as a pattern for about £4.

So, the question is, if the blank key were cut correctly would it operate if the body of the old key (with transponder) was present to 'immobilise' the immobiliser? Would the presence of an 'unprogrammed' immobiliser' interfere in any way? Indeed, is it possible to remove the transponder from the old broken key and transplant it into the new key? Or, is there a devious way to re-programme the new key without filling the coffers of our local Vauxhall dealer? I suspect his fees would be more than the car is worth!

Any views gratefully received, Waino

Timpson keys - piggy

<< Fiats are a special case ISTR? Something about a "master" Red key?>>

Fiat stopped supplying cars with the "red key" years ago. Now they just come with two normal keys (albeit one does not control the central locking).So just like the rest,though replacement key will cost circa £50!

Timpson keys - Armitage Shanks {p}

These people might help

http://www.autolocksmiths.co.uk/

Timpson keys - mscott

(To answer my own question); I bought a car (1990 Citroen Xsara) with only one key and wanted a spare. Rather than go to Timpsons (where, whenever they re-sole my shoes I have to go away and "come back in an hour") I went to a local locksmith found on Yell.com. He had some gizmo which read the code from my key, recorded it and then transferred it into a new transponder (which looked lake a small 3A plug fuse) which he inserted into the plastic end of a new blank key and cut the metal part. Cost £30.

Timpson keys - mscott

Further update; went to Timpsons to try to get a spare door key cut, ie no transponder or central locking plip required. They didn't have the blanks for this. Only option offered was ordering a new remote which would need reprogamming with the card key code. Cost £125.

Timpson keys - Ryanfuego

Hey This is not a very easy process. I wanted tot do it on my own, but after trying several times I was not able to cut replacement transponder keys. I have not tried Timpsons but a friend of mine suggested the company where his brother worked. They have mobile service and they will do job on the spot. I am satisfied with their service.

Edited by Avant on 28/06/2017 at 01:45

Timpson keys - sandy56

I tried Timpsons. I gave them all the car details over the phone and was told to bring in the key, and they would make a new one.Went a long way to the supposed correct shop, and was told, sorry, we dont do that one.

A bunch of clowns.

Timpson keys - SLO76
I dropped into the branch at Silverburn in Glasgow and the very helpful chap on the counter happily chopped the chip out of the old Mitsubishi Carisma key I had and put it into a new key. Worked a treat and cost £20 if I remember right. Branch in Ayr told me they couldn't supply a key for it. Depends on the staff you encounter.
Timpson keys - Bromptonaut

They can do some types but not others. Obviously, those that require computer access to car's electronics to 'pair' the key aren't going to be done at a concession inside a supermarket!!

Even witihn a given make/model the key/car protocol can change over time. Only way to be certain is whewn they see key and try to read chip.

Swapping chip is fine if you've got a broken key. NBG when, as I did, you need an extra key for third driver.

Timpson keys - Happy Blue!

They are unable to do Fiat keys (or rather I suspect they send them out to do), but had no problems with doing a Daihatsu key, even programming a new transponder.