Renault Clio 1.4RT 1995 4,000rpm?? - JEC
My other halfs little Champs-Elysee makes a right royal racket at 4,000 rpm akin to having your had stuck in a bassoon.
This is no vibration felt through the steering or anything like that.
At 4,000 rpm, there is a loud sound which I could only compare to a major exhaust blow but the exhaust is fine and you can only hear it when inside with the doors closed.
I was thinking that since the manual car is not as pokey as my mum's auto, perhaps I am loosing some compression at that rpm but I am really scratching my head with that one!
Any ideas????
Cheers
Jamie
Renault Clio 1.4RT 1995 4,000rpm?? - Andrew-T
Might it be something like dry bearings on the alternator?
I never thought of that.
Have you had that before. Getting to the alternator on a Renault is a pain let alone dismantling it!
I'm no expert on Clios (tho' I expect to start learning as SWMBO has just got a 2000W one). However my 1993 205 did 40 miles along M62 on Sunday fine, then on the return trip an intermittent noise rather like your description started at 2500-3000 rpm. Nothing through the steering, but a faint vibration in the car, and the noise could be made to come and go with the throttle. The alternator belt seemed tight to me, but I put 3 drops of light oil behind the belt pulley followed by a squirt of WD40. So far no recurrence, but I haven't really pushed it yet.

I suspect that attempting to fix an alternator would probably not get you very far unless you are an auto-electrician. If the alternator is at fault, an exchange one may be simplest.
Thank you Andrew.
I will take a look at the alternator Sunday and do some lubricating. I hope it is something relatively simple.
I have stripped an alternator before and have texts for auto electrics so I'm sure I'll manage.
I'm not convinced that is the problem but it is worth a go!
As it happens the drive belt for the power steering has started to go so I have to get greasy anyway
Ta
Jamie
Thanks Jamie - keep me posted. The cause is only a guess anyway, but I may share your problem!
Actually its the NEC Sunday! I'll have a go Saturday. I'll keep you posted. Adios Jamie
Renault Clio 1.4RT 1995 4,000rpm?? - Dave_TD
Had a resonance on my Octavia between 2200-2800rpm under load, felt like something major under the bonnet or underneath had worked loose, and all my customers started asking what the loud roar was!
This one turned out to be wear in the clips on the plastic intake pipe leading to the air filter housing, the intake pipe is cast in 2 halves which clip together, and with vibration over time the clips had gained a bit of play. But it was an incredible amount of noise for such a seemingly innocuous problem, and a devil to find as well!
Hth.
Cheers Dave I'll take a look.
Could you only heard the sound when inside the car with all doors etc shut?
Jamie - I was just wondering if the cambelt tensioner could make a noise like your bassoon? What do you think?
Jamie - I've had a better chance to test my alternator lubrication today - OK so far. Monitoring continues .. ..
Renault Clio 1.4RT 1995 4,000rpm?? - Cyd
Had a similar thing once that turned out to be a loose baffle in one of the exhaust boxes. Can you get someone else to sit in the car and hold the revs just right whilst you crawl around the car on the outside trying to track the noise down?

Do let us know what it was when you find out.
Hello all, thanks for your input.
I am having to renew the fan belt this weekend so I can take a look. I have been underneath trying to trace the problem but to no availe.
I'll keep you posted.
Once again thanks
Regards
Jamie
Renault Clio 1.4RT 1995 4,000rpm?? - Big John
One thing this could be is the catalyst breaking up and partially blocking the exhaust causing loss of power and a right old racket when gas flow picks up (not audible outside!)

Thanks Big John, any relation to honest?
I went as far as to get another catalytic converter but I'm unsure now as the old one seems fine on inspection.
Is there anyway to test it since your conclusion is the same as mine was in the first place?
Cheers
Jamie
PS I don't suppose any of you know much about motorbike carbs do you??
Renault Clio 1.4RT 1995 4,000rpm?? - Big John
It could also be an exhaust box rusting internally further down stream being blocked by sound absorbing material (internal box pipes rust through)