Vauxhall Corsa D - 05 Corsa 1.4 16v auto/08 Corsa 1.2 semi auto? - dwm83

Hi,

Quick opinions sought for Mum; we've been looking at lots of options and have narrowed them down, it seems, to one of two Corsas. One is the last of the 'old' shape, a 1.4 16v full auto; the other a 1.2 16v semi auto.

Option 1 is at a main dealer and is a bit overpriced. We've had to haggle a lot to get the screen price down to £5k and they're only giving £3k part ex for her 57 reg base model Panda (Parkers reckon £3,300). However, it's mint and comes with 3 years dealer warranty from Vauxhall and they're offering a fairly decent finance deal.

Option 2 is at Motorpoint and is £6,299 but they want £175 over 42 months after which there'd still be £2,300 or thereabouts balloon payment. However, there is the benefit of the latter being (presumably) cheaper to run owing to better fuel consumption, lower insurance, etc.

I've tried and failed to find direct comparisons - any opinions on which would be better? Personally I think the new shape looks much better but that's a poor reason in itself :) so if anyone's driven both and/or can advise generally I'd be pleased to know!

Vauxhall Corsa D - 05 Corsa 1.4 16v auto/08 Corsa 1.2 semi auto? - Avant

Sorry to be negative but I'd run a mile from any 2005 Corsa as there have been horror stories about camshaft failure, mainly on the 1.2 engine bur a few also on the 1.4. There seems to have been a bad batch, and Vauxhall have been reluctant to compensate owners. And why does your mum want to swap a 57-reg Panda for a 5-year-old Corsa?

Also I had a semi-automatic Corsa as a courtesy car recently and the transmission was AWFUL. Every gearchange lurched and jerked in a way that would disgrace a 17-year-old learner, and there seemed to be no way of avoiding this. Your mum muxt make sure she has a long test drive in one of these if she is seriously thinking about it.

The new model Corsa is better to drive than the old, but still on the stodgy side and not nearly as good as the equivalent Fiesta. If it's more space that she wants, she should try and see what sort of Skoda Fabia she can get for her budget.

I've had 18 cars in 40 years of car ownership, none of them a Vauxhall. I'm not prejudiced against Vauxhalls, and have often test-driven them as well as reading road tests: there has always been something else that did the job I wanted it to do better.

Edited by Avant on 19/06/2010 at 01:27

Thank you. She's gone for a 07 reg 1.4 16v full-auto. It's a "Design" model, looks very nice as it's a 3 door in a nice dark metallic blue so... can't complain when I get to steal it ;)

A little over priced, as it's book price but the trade in on her Panda was cr*p. However the Panda's service history is... spa***. And a knocking has developed from the front end; sounds like suspension/CV joint. So overall, an alright deal. Sounds like Arnold Clark are reasonable enough.

No Fiestas were available within price range and she just liked the Corsa very much for seat comfort etc; suitability for back problems being a priority.

Why is sp-rse starred out?

Vauxhall Corsa D - 05 Corsa 1.4 16v auto/08 Corsa 1.2 semi auto? - Avant

Sorry - it's the way the swear filter works - think of the last four letters of the word in question. You'd have the same problem if you mentioned a football club run by Mr Wenger.

Anyway, glad she's got a car she likes.

Edited by Avant on 20/06/2010 at 00:20