Honda Civic type S - VSA modulator replacement - kams

Hi, whilst driving in to work today, my 'VSA' light, warning triangle and engine light came on. I have been told it could be the modulator.

Has any body faced this issue? Was wondering if it could be anything else and what to check for as Honda are quoting £900 just for the part and then £200 labour.

Thanks in advance.

Honda Civic type S - VSA modulator replacement - MrMajic

I've just had exactly the same thing on a 55 plate Civic Type S - just shy of £1,500.00 fitted. Not impressed with what is a relatively young (and low mileage) car. Did you manage to get Honda to contribute?

Honda Civic type S - VSA modulator replacement - Collos25

Find a electronics engineer(Television engineer) and get them to repair it. A few companies here in Germany do them exchange for much much less than Honda want and I suppose if you look around you will find the same in the UK its a very common fault on all Hondas fitted with this system.

Honda Civic type S - VSA modulator replacement - Brummy Striver

I entered my problem earlier under Motoring Discussion, Mr Majic: VSA modulator failure on 55 plate Civic Type S with 20K on the clock.

The latest news:

The damage to my pocket was £613 including the £53 computer diagnosis and eventual repair. Honda contributed £507 as a good-will gesture. They would not move on the figure, saying it was " fair and substantial". While I am not ungrateful for the money, I was not overjoyed at the cost of premature failure.

Avonvale Honda in Stratford on Avon said mine was the first they had encountered on a Civic, though they occasionally have Accords and CR-Vs in with this problem. This weakness puts me off another Honda, though VW also has similar gremlins in their stability/ABS units, I believe.

Does anyone know whether freewheeling confuses the electronics? Honda service man says it would not. Coincidentally,the light came on after I had done a spot of this!

Honda Civic type S - VSA modulator replacement - squarepeg

My Honda was diagnosed as having the same VSA plus triangle on facia lit up.

ie Fault was Yaw sensor and VSA cluster needs replacing. Quoted about £1000 +

I have written to Honda UK twice regarding the 'stock' fault on this model. They would not help whatsoever and say there is no known problem with this unit??? So many internet sites suggest this is not true - so much for looking after loyal customers.

Does any one know exactly where the VSA / Yaw sensor units are on the car? (2005 1998cc 5 door type s.). I am an electronic engineer, so I fancy taking the unit out and having a good look at it. I would be very grateful for any information. Many thanks.