Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.3CDTi - Diesel Engine Vibration - DannySAllen

Hi,

We have a 2005 1.3 CDTI estate which works very well, but regularly, normally in 4th gear but can happen in any gear, there is a strong shaking from the engine at 1750 / 1800 RPM.

I'm guessing that this is because there is some valve which is sticking and failing to open correctly. If I drop a gear or even drop the revs, the shaking goes away.

While this is happening, it feels like a petrol engine with a broken spark plug. It's like a 'missing' petrol engine.

Anyone come across this before or have any suggestions ?

Thanks, Danny

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.3CDTi - Diesel Engine Vibration - Peter.N.

Could be an injector or engine management fault, I'm afraid you have no option other than to have the fault codes read.

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.3CDTi - Diesel Engine Vibration - Danidasanic

I have the same problem

DannySAllen, your problem is solved ?

Thanks, Daniel

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.3CDTi - Diesel Engine Vibration - Ocky

Hi Daniel and Danny, I've got exactly the same problem on the same car.....seems to have started after clutch change.........I know the wiring harnesses around the battery area were disturbed, so am going to see if re-seating all connectors with WD40 makes any odds as a first try. Will let you know if it makes any difference.. Did you get anywhere your end with a fault diagnosis? With regards Geoff

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.3CDTi - Diesel Engine Vibration - mark sl

I have the same problem.

We had and Astravan 1.3 for 4 years. It did it from 6 months old until the dealer eventually solved it by changing the ECU. Fault reappeared and they changed the ECU again. Just changed it for a new one, and guess what...................... It does it as well.

Will be phoning the dealer today.

I'm taking the car in for it's first mot, and have asked them to read the fault codes for me (if it has any stored). They reckoned problems like this in their experience were often caused by the EGR valve sticking, quite often through the car not being driven driven hard enough.

Seems to be a common problem on the diesels anyway, and they suggested blanking the exhaust port off rather than buying new valve/cleaning old one, so I'll let you know how I get on!

Many people have this problem ...I think the EGR isn't the cause , maybe the MAP sensor or the injectors...I don't know :S

Can anyone send a email to Opel reporting this problem ?

Edited by Danidasanic on 19/12/2010 at 23:43

Our old van had new injectors, fuel pump and a pile other bits and bobs.Nothing worked and the fault remained. They were on the verge of relacing the vehicle until the ECU was changed and the problem was sorted. After some time it started missing again. By now the van was 3 years old and almost out of waranty. This time the dealer failed to get the van to reproduce the fault until I actually took a mechanic out it. After a whole lot more messing about and eventually taking the service manager out in it, they agreed to replace the ECU again. Fault vanishes again only to reappear a few months later.

The new van has the same problem. It wouldn't suprise me if they all do it to some degree.

I'm beginning to realise this problem may not be a simple/cheap one to solve. No fault codes were logged on the computer, and the local garage were unhappy to just try various possible parts out at my expense. Just done 101000 miles, so out of warranty too. I'm now wondering if the problem will get worse, or just remain an annoying part of what is becoming an annoying car! Would be great to here if anyone actually managed to fix the fault conclusively. cheers

The dealer local to me has done the same thing. No faults found. I'm sure its an engine management problem. I will take them out in the vehicle and demonstrate the problem when the weather improves. I have spoken to Vauxhall and they have nothing on record to suggest that this is a widespread issue. Both our vans have done it though. More than a coincidence I think.......

Edited by mark sl on 23/12/2010 at 12:18

Yep, sounds a bit too much of coincidence to me too...... I'll talk to the local vauxhall dealer next week......my worry is that they'll suggest an ECU change, which will probably be half the cost of the car again, and that it may only fix it for a while. I wonder if the ECU could be re-set or re-programmed? I've read the car 's ECU 'learns your driving style', and as it was previously driven by a rep, and initially came over to me without problems, I wonder if it doesn't like my economical way of driving! !

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.3CDTi - Diesel Engine Vibration - Atomix1
This is a good example of people not knowing wtf they are talking about, get a reputable mechanic, engine vibration from a diesel, related to revs, whether driving or parked in neutral is most definitely a ................ failing dual mass flywheel! Diesels have 2 layered flywheels (hence the name dual mass flywheel), and when the layers start weakening and separating the thing is spinning fast and lopsided! Theres your vibration! Dont always believe what u hear on the dam internet! Get professional advice, eveyone spreads stuff they read elsewhere and 100 chinese whispers later someones opinions has become a fact for others repeating the crap they hear!!! U have been warmed!! Anyone with any level of mechanical knowledge would have mentioned the dual mass flywheel so that tells me nobody has. If you dont know what youre doing then leave it to somebody who does however tempting to save money. Cars r complicated. Dont help fuel the spread of wrong information! Rant over hehe
Also, the guy that said it only happened after a clutch change..... Thats because the dual mass flywheel and clutch should be changed together (they mate with each other) what happened is the new clutch was an extra strain on the old dmf which is now disintegrating slowly causing more and more vibration! The garage should have recommended changing it while talking about replacing your clutch! Dmf's can last from 100,000-150,000 miles or more then the dreaded vibration starts! No quick fixes guys just new clutch and dmf! God i love being me!
Also the disintegrating is a slow process so the vibration only gets noticeably worse over time

I don't know if you are entirely right on that . Yes , dmf can cause that kind of vibration and it will probably get worse over time . Some users at gtc club forum already changed the dmf and clutch without sucess , on the other hand , my 1.3 cdti is still using the first dmf and clutch ..very occasionally i can feel that vibration but isn't definitely getting worse . To try reproducing the vibration , i need to force the engine to run at low rpm (like 1300rpm 4\5 gear) . Im not a mechanic but im not a noob" either . I already cleaned my egr too

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.3CDTi - Diesel Engine Vibration - Chris79
I had this problem in my corsa d 1.3 cdti. I found using bp ultimate cured it, not after one tank but after prolonged use of premium fuel over the supermarket stuff.
Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.3CDTi - Diesel Engine Vibration - sixsigma

Atomix1thinks he knows everything but has not used his head.

Out of balance D.M.F. would cause vibration in all gears at a set speed not at 1800 rpm in 4th/5th.

Just purchaced 2007 astra van. Did not notice vibration on test drive. Or the faint clutch slip (ouch)

New clutch and convert to S.M.F. and guess what! Same vibration. A little less violent i guess due to the fact that it is now single mass so not so many springs. but it is def not the D.M.F. for sure.

Well I'm glad that Atomix has sorted it all out for us :) Brilliant! Yes by all means go out and get a new DMF fitted - make it a clutch while you're at it :).Of course the garage who changed the clutch fitted a new DMF, and as it happens I had another one fitted when the 6 speed gearbox failed (as they do). So thats 2 new DMF's and the problem remained. Must be my odd car I guess ;). Still never mind, the egr blanking plate fixed it for me - All the best with it all :)

Edited by Ocky on 26/07/2015 at 21:01