turbo chargers - Sherwood
I apologise if this may seem a stupid question to the mechanically minded.
How do I know if the turbo is working on my BMW 318 TDS
turbo chargers - Jonathan {p}
Does the engine accelerate quicker after it reaches about 2500-3000 rpm? The easy answer is that you would know if it wasn't working because the car wouldn't run properly (if at all).
turbo chargers - John S
Check the performance details for the car. eg 0-50 or 0 - 60 or more usefully the 30 -50 in 4th or similar. Check the car against them (in a safe place, and preferably with a helper). If you get within a couple of seconds (esp. on 0 - X times as the testers really thrash the cars)the turbo is fine, but if it isn't working the car will be much, much slower.

Regards

John S
turbo chargers - madman
Not a very powerful engine anyway but if the turbo was not working on a diesel you would see clouds of black smoke out the exhaust and more often than not would hear stange mechanical sounds from the turbo before failure.
turbo chargers - RB
How about listening for the whistle/whine?

Find a quiet road, preferably narrow with buildings either side, turn off radio/heater fan, wind windows down then just pull off at a fairly sedate rate through the gears.

You should be able to hear the whistle...

I know I can in my SEAT Toledo Tdi - reminds me of how novel it all seemed in the SAAB 99 Turbo 20-odd years ago!
turbo chargers - Sherwood
Thanks for the informative replies guys.