Daewoo ( should I ? ) - Mazdaman
I am thinking about buying a Nubira estate 2000 model and my only hesitation is the build quality and driving experience. The prices for these cars now are rock bottom, £5000 for a 51 plate with less than 10,000 with all the mod cons.

Has anyone got one? What are they really like?

Thanks
Daewoo ( should I ? ) - M.M
MM,

I speak from bitter experience with a customer's Daewoo in recent months, a car that has now been sold in favour of a "proper" Japanese car.

Before you buy check out the servicing and parts availability in your area. Failures in this field are what drove this chap to sell.

Like a radiator for a Nexia at £210 (I'd expect to pay far less than £100 for a Peugeot/Citroen rad of a similar size) and only available from Daewoo, even Serk couldn't get one in weeks of trying because of the lack of old units to rebuild.

Then I wanted a timing belt and tensioner/pulley kit. No-one within 20 miles could get the tensioner/rollers. I even tried a well regarded national engine reconditioner who laughed as soon as I asked for Daewoo engine parts. The only option was Daewoo again, but despite me being near a major city they haven't any dealerships nearby. It would have meant an 80 mile round trip to collect the parts....and again at wicked prices.

To cap it all.... The parts depot did offer to send them to the local Daewoo showroom at the Halfords store in town so I didn't have to drive all that way.....but when I went into Halfords Daewoo section to arrange it the lights were off and there was a handwritten notice saying (sort of) "sorry guys we've given up and gone home for good".

Now I will not look after any more Daewoo's, I can't waste time chasing after a failing vehicle/parts network.

NB. HJ put up a news item a while ago that some Daewoo takeover had been agreed and all was to be resolved. To me that was a PR statement and it isn't yet reflected in any acion...for this area at least.

Lastly bear in mind whatever you pay for a bargain Daewoo today it will loose even more during the next year.

MM

Daewoo ( should I ? ) - Cyd
A automotive chassis engineer friend of mine had one for a couple of weeks about 2 yrs ago (it was new, while his car was being repaired) - his summing up of the driving experience was "scary".