Ford Fusion - Garage liable for mechanical damage? - FordMarch

Hi there. I hope someone can advise or share experiences on this situation. Sorry for being a bit of a long post....

On Friday I took my Ford Fusion (04 plate with 34K miles) to a small, local garage that I have been happily using for around 6 years for a service and MOT. When there I also explained I'd noticed the alternator had been making a loud whining noise when under load, which got quieter the fewer things you had switched on (lights, heater, heated windscreen etc). I left saying something along the lines of "I'll leave it in your capable hands as I don't know enough about it myself".

An hour later I got a call from the garage to advise that when on the rolling road for emissions testing at the MOT testing station, which is a couple of miles drive from the garage, my car suddenly cut out making some terrible noises and burning smells. The car would be recovered on a flat bed and they'd give me a call a couple of hours later once they's had a chance to look over it.

The diagnosis was that the faulty alternator had seized abruptly stopping the drive belt, which caused the crankshaft bolt to come loose allowing the engine to turn without control. End result is that the valves are bent and the head needs to come off to identify the full extent of the damage.

The mechanic did say that he had heard the whining noise I'd mentioned as he was driving over to the testing station, and it was 'sod's law' that it had seized and caused the damage.

Today (Monday) i have spoken to the garage and received their quote of over £1200 to fix, including parts and labour. I pointed out how upset I was that a part I'd highlighted as faulty led to the damage caused to the vehicle while it was in their care. I had no idea that seized alternator bearings could have such consequences. This was met with shrugs and murmurings of "bad luck".

I didn't strictly specify that I wanted the alternator testing before the vehicle was driven anywhere. I just asked them to take a look at it alongside the service and MOT.

We're still on pretty good terms, as I don't want to fall out with the staff at the garage over this but I'm annoyed that their judgement to drive the car without checking the alternator over has lead to me facing a huge repair bill.

Does anyone have similar experiences, or advice to offer? Do you think the garage should admit liability, partly or fully? I'm wondering if it is down to them to claim for this on their professional insurance?

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts.

Ford Fusion - Garage liable for mechanical damage? - LucyBC

You could try and negotiate some kind of deal regarding labour costs but I cannot see any real negligence on the part of the garage that I would have any confidence in being actionable.

If a key part such as an alternator makes a loud whining noise then the onus is on you to get it fixed straight away - not to try and deal with it as part of the next MOT inspection.

The part was already failing and that it failed completely while the garage had it was unfortunate (for them) but I don't believe you can hold them responsible unless you had specifically flagged up that this was key problem that needed fixing before a critical failure.

My view is that were you to take this to court you would be held 100% responsible for the cost of repairs and anything you can negotiate with the garage that gives you anything at all off the estimated bill would be to your great advantage.