Hyundai Elantra - Is this a good buy? - eustace

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201016357309806/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/model/elantra/make/hyundai/page/1/radius/1501/postcode/rh20rn?logcode=p

The good points about the car are:-
1) Its got a complete service history, mostly all but one from Hyundai dealers.
2) Cam belt has been changed at 70,000 miles.

The bad points about the car:-
1) Much above average mileage for its age. 6 year old car, run 109,000 miles. Though I would be more comfortable buying a diesel car with higher than average mileage rather than very low mileage.
2) A couple of paint chips on the body and a small dent on the door. Since the elantra comes with only 6 years anti-perforation warranty, I am not sure if the body has been electro-galvanized.
Hence if the previous owner has not taken good care of the coach work, the car may be prone to rust (i think). Also this car was owned and used in Brighton (on the coast). So the sea air could acclerate corrosion, if the body is not well looked after.

I test drove the car and like the way it drives. It sounds quite agricultural, but I am ok with that.

The seller is adamant that the price is not negotiable (£2490), while the whatcar valuation of this model for a delaer sale is:- £1645.

I am in 2 minds about going ahead with this car. What would you suggest?

Hyundai Elantra - Is this a good buy? - primeradriver

Obviously you're after diesel rather than petrol so I'll let that one go.

It's a pity you didn't mention this a few days ago -- Autoquake had a 2005 Elantra CRTD with 30K miles which went for £2950.

Actually that may just be the site for you you know -- higher mileage (usually), newish diesels with full service history and all on the cheap side. Things like a 2007 Mondeo for around £4500 and so on.

If any diesel was going to be OK I'd say it's one that's been serviced on the dot every few months, and lived its life on the motorways.

I have not noted any corrosion issues on Korean cars (Hyundai or Daewoo). They aren't galvanised, but the bodyshells don't seem to rot in my experience -- Ford and Nissan are both worse.

Can I ask, why diesel? Are you planning on doing more than 15-20K a year? If not, then I'd go with the safe option. Lancer Estate?

Edited by primeradriver on 13/05/2010 at 20:18

I am not certain regarding what my annual mileage will be.

Its 35 miles from my home to office, so a 70 mile round trip. However I can work from home 2-3 days a week. Also the drive to office will be on the M25, which most people say is a nightmare during peak hours. So I may end up taking the train after all. But the train journey involves 2 changes and takes at least 1.5 hours which makes it alleast 2 hours from door to door.Hence for this reason I don't know what my annual mileage is going to end up being.

I did see the car on auto-quake, but was concerned that it was extremely low mileage for its age. Hence was wondering whether the car was mostly used for town driving, which I understand is more detrimental for the engine rather more than high mileage.

incidentally, the one on autoquake is still there. Its been reserved by some-one. But its a 2004 model. The same as the one advertised above on autotrader

Petrol. Seriously, buy a petrol.

Let's say you go into the office by car 3 days a week (sounds optimistic to me). 800 miles/month, 10,000 a year or so. And most of that will be in jams, so the fuel savings will be minimal.

To put things into perspective, I travel 60 miles/day, every day, and I use the car for work, perhaps 400 miles per month extra. That's 1600 miles/month, 20K per year, and the maths still favour petrol once the higher servicing bills are taken into account. And I live in the rural North East, where the roads are still, for the most part, congestion free around County Durham.

DPFs (£100 every third service). DMFs every 60K miles. Special oil. Heavier engines + more torque = heavier tyre wear. Suspension parts needing replacing more often. Fuel 2% more expensive than petrol. Higher purchase cost of the vehicle.

Even if the diesel were 100%, completely and utterly reliable, 10K/year favours petrol heavily. 20K favours diesel very marginally, but potential repair costs wipe out the advantage. Anything over 25K, diesel wins every time of course.

Chances of getting a 100% reliable petrol lump if bought with low mileage/FSH? Probably greater than 95% if you buy Japanese. Chances for the diesel? 60/40 I'd say.

You make a good case.

But the reason I favoured diesel:-

I like the idea of a bigger car, because its safer and more car for your money. For bigger cars the mpg difference between Petrol and Diesel is more significant (about 10 mpg).

I don't think the Elantra's have DMF. Not sure about DPF though. They seem to me the last of a generation of relatively uncomplicated diesels still around. Thats why I dont mind its agricultural sounding engine. If I don't buy an Elantra, I may consider the Cerato petrol. It makes good sense economically. But there is nothing special about the Cerato because its been bettered by its successor, the Ceed / i35 in every way. But the elantra offers a bit of nostalgic value as the last variant of its ilk. Seems like the last opportunity to pick up a relatively uncomplicated diesel big car, apart from the Peugeot 406s etc, which would definitely not be as reliable as the Elantra.

Would you agree with the above points?

Would you still recommend a Petrol Cerato over a Diesel elantra?

In terms of the price for this car, do you think it reasonable? And is the mileage its run something to be concerned about?

Hyundai Elantra - Is this a good buy? - john96

Primeradriver

My 626 2.0 petrol does 420-440 miles per tank. If I were to get the diesel 626 a fig of 600 miles is achievable. Buying second hand I think you dont need to drive more than 12-15K to justify diesel. Admittedly Id be scared of a big bill from a newer model, but I reckon elantra´s have old style engines, so should be more robust!

@Primeradriver:

The diesel elantra you mentioned on autoquake has come back onto the market.

My concern about that car was that while it was a 2004 model, it had run only 37481 miles. This could indicate that the car was mostly used in town for short journeys on a cold engine. Do you think that car is still a good option?

Hyundai Elantra - Is this a good buy? - davmal

I have run one of these, the basic TDSi model, 52 reg since Sept 2003. I've covered 100,000 miles in it. Agricultural it is, but robust too. Front tyres have given me about 35-40,000 miles, excluding punctures. Fuel is around 45 miles per gallon on a run 40 around town. Parts are quite readily available from a decent motor factor, eg discs, pads (rear pads and discs for both sides 55 quid), shocks, oil air and fuel filters and no more expensive than any other brand I've owned. OEM parts can be dear-ish eg rear caliper 175 quid, front grill 65, oil filter 15.

Had to get a rear caliper overhauled at 7 years old owing to be laid up for a year, cost 70, handbrake cable (30 for both sides), and a windscreen for 165 fitted.

One near disaster is when the cam belt tensioner failed. Fortunately the design of the housing kept the outer race in place holding sufficient tension on the belt to avoid damage and keep the car running. Fitting a new belt and water pump cost 350 with a little haggling.

I will keep it until it dies, or i do. Don't have to worry about envy vandalism and not a patch of rust. Considerably less trouble than the Fiats we have, and still do, own.

Common rail diesel system is by Bosch, speak to an agent and parts are available, though I haven't heard much in the way of engine snags. The same unit is used in the Mk1 Santa Fe, Tuscon, Trajet, et al.

Thanks davmal. Your comments were very helpfull. What do you think is a good price for this car that's been advertised?

@davmal:

At what age/mileage did the cam belt tensioner fail? I understand that the recommended cam belt replacement interval is 7 years / 70,000 miles. Does it really last that long, or is a more frequent change advisable?

Hyundai Elantra - Is this a good buy? - Lygonos

It's value as a trade-in is 1200-1300 quid.

The dealer seems to be being too greedy on this one.

Cambelt tension idler went at about 80,000 miles. The belt was changed at 70,000 as it should have been, in hindsight having the whole lot done would have been more sensible. When it was replaced for the second time I had the water pump done as well as both idlers. I see no reason to change the belt early, these cars came with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, so if the belts were suspect, I would have expected Hyundai to advise a shorter interval to mitigate any early failures and hence warranty claims.

The trade in value is inconsequential, unless you are a trader or trading one in, however, the price does seem a little high for the mileage.

From the age and mileage, I wonder if it could have been a commuter car, running up and down to London, perhaps, it's about the right mileage area.

Something I should clarify about the tyre issue, I never buy "premium" tyres, it came with Hankooks and has Khumo on now, so the tyre life is not "quality" related, and my car has been on supermarket fuel from day one, though I add Miller's now. Why? Because I can.

Hyundai Elantra - Is this a good buy? - Glenn 42

Hello, I am new to this forum, but as a former Hyundai owner I can fill you in on some points. The Elantra was phased out about 4 -5 years ago, so should be cheap to buy as these were never particularly trendy or liked by motoring journalists. Although my Hyundai was the Getz, all post 2002 come with the comprehensive five year warranty and equipment levels are very good even on basic models. Dealers tend to be good as well.

However, while my Hyundai was almost faultless under warranty( the aircon blower went at 35,000 miles but this is a common fault on many cars), as soon as the warranty expired, the clutch suddenly packed in and then a month later the ECU decided to die, leaving me stranded one night and with a £ 600 bill to replace it. A car I had complete faith in went to a car I had absolutely no faith in and I got rid of it. Apparently a few Hyundai owners have told me the same: get rid when the warranty is coming up. Unfortunately with the Elantra, these are at least 4 years old now and I would advise you, if you are buying one, to have it checked thoroughly.

However, a good Hyundai is a good buy as they provide cheap family transport and are good value and the Elantra is a Mondeo competitor for far less money.

To be fair I think any car has the ability to bite its owner at five years old, and the clutch packing up is not uncommon across a wide range of newer cars it would seem and is to some extent affected by driving style (and the Getz, which was based quite heavily on the Accent, did have an issue with clutches around 2002-3).

The ECU is a more serious fault but the £600 bill seems reasonable to me -- I've heard of far higher bills for this part.

With a car that is out of warranty it's always a lottery. This is why the newer diesels are such a problem -- it's not so much that they are unreliable, it's their ability to empty your bank balance when they do go wrong that puts me off.

£500 a year on maintenance is to be expected -- any less is a bonus, any more can be deeply annoying. The most expensive issue I had on a used Accent in 50K miles as a second vehicle was a stuffed wiper mechanism -- £90 but a major hassle as it died on the motorway in the pouring rain, 100 miles from home.

@davmal: Why do you say that the part exchange price was irrelevant, except for dealers? Doesn't that give a good indication, of the price you should pay for the car?

It would be probably more irrelevant if I was buying a car privately. In that case I would be more easy to pay an amount over the industry valuation for a car, because I know that the buyer is just recouping some of the amount he initially paid for the car, and not making an unreasonable profit.

I think I said inconsequential, not irrelevant, though the relevance is also in doubt.

You intimated that the dealer is intractable on the price, so what he paid is inconsequential if he won't budge; and as you are not trading the car in, the price is inconsequential again. Either you pay his price or not, you have to decide if it is worth it.

Who decides what is a reasonable profit for a dealer? What work had to be done to the car before selling?

Hyundai Elantra - Is this a good buy? - Glenn 42

It was a shame with the Getz as in the three years I had owned it, it had only developed one bearable electrical fault that was done under warranty, but once the warranty ended it had those two major problems. I would say to anyone buying a Hyundai these are very much bulletproof up to 5 years old and it would be a good idea to buy one at 2 years old, they are cheap enough, and get rid just before the warranty ends. Also the dealers are usually very good.

See I actually think the reverse, as I favour buying Korean for the seond car, and I will happily buy at five years old when one comes along cheaply.

Because these cars aren't that respected in some quarters the used values can be quite volatile. They are starting to become more stable though, but you can still get things like Daewoo Lacettis for £1500 at 5 years old on occasion. At this price they are disposable cars, but in my experience no less likely to reach a good age than anything else if looked after.

One of the big selling points for me is that they are generally quite mechanically simple. This is a problem when new because they lack showroom appeal, but as a cheap used car this is exactly what you want -- if the clutch does go you're usually only talking £200 to put a new one in.

Like any car realise that a 5yo Getz or Elantra is a cheap car. Don't go to main dealers for servicing. Your local backstreet is quite capable of fettling these utterly conventional vehicles.

As a reference, Our 12 year old (at the time) Daewoo developed a nasty oil leak, needed the cambelt doing and had a wishbone on its way out as well. Total cost to put right? £230. You try getting that work done on a modern Mondeo diesel at a main dealer!!