Oil change new car - ernest

Hi
I have a new Fabia 1.9TDi should i change the oil after 10000 miles as per the service schedule, or should I change before.
I do like to use Mobile one diesel.
Thanks all
Forget Mobil 1! - David Lacey
Mobil 1 Diesel in this type of car (No offence at all) is total overkill
Use any decent branded Diesel oil that meets the engine performance requirement (as found in the operator's manual) These change so often, I'm probably a little out of date.
I would only use Mobil 1 Diesel in a highly stressed multi-cylinder Turbo-Diesel used at high speed (A4/A6 V6TDi, Mercedes CDi's, BMW 330D etc)
I would change the oil & filter at, perhaps 5000 miles, using Genuine parts as not to invalidate the all-important warranty.
Re: Forget Mobil 1! WHY? - Stuart Bruce
Maybe I am being a bit thick David, but I don't understand why you would recommend Mobil 1 in such as an A4 V6 TDi and not a 1.9TDi. OK I accept that one of these is likely to be driven harder than a Fabia, we really are showing our preconcieved impressions and prejudices now are we not. But seeing the traffic and speed limits in this country its all a marginal difference anyway, so why is it overkill? Yes its expensive for sure.
Re: spelling - Stuart Bruce
Sorry pedants out there I meant preconceived, i before e and all that.
Martin is there any chance of a spell checker for this site?
Re: spelling - honest john
Definitely don't change the oil before 10,000 miles, particularly if you are a slow driver, or the engine won't bed itself in and you could have an oil burner on your hands.

HJ
Re: spelling - Ian Smallwood
Does your message about not changing the oil before 1000 miles apply to new petrol engines as well as to diesels, HJ? I was about to take up your frequently expressed advice to change the oil often, but there is an 18000 mile service interval for my new Laguna 2.
Re: spelling - honest john
Change the oil at 10,000 miles in your Laguna II, then continue to change it every 5,000 - 6,000 miles if you intend to keep the car for some time. If you don't, think like a fleet manager, say sod it to the car's long-term longevity and change the oil at 18,000 mile itnervals.

HJ
Re: Toyota Spares - Walter Gilboy

Some spare parts for the Toyota Carina E are extremely expensive from UK agents. But they can be bought from Toyota agents in Germany for approximately 50% of UK prices. Does anyone know if this also applies to somewhere more convenient in France, like Calais for example?

I am also intereted in getting in touch with Toyota Owners Club if someone can send me their address.
Re: thread names - Jarrod
Can we please remeber to change the names of the thread if what is to be said is nothing to do with it. From this one alone Stuart made a spelling mistake and named it 'spelling', then others used this name to talk about other things, maybe im becoming pedantic too, but its irritating. Pease and thanks, J