BMW 320D SPORT 2004 - BMW 320D SPORT-Noise when clutch is released - BMW320D SPORT

Hi all,

Could anybody help me with a query please?

I have a BMW 320D Sport (2004), I bought it with about 60k on the clock , it now has 121k on it. The car runs fine and I have had no problems with it except that around 100k I noticed a funny noise when the car is in neutral with the clutch released. If I fully depress the clutch the sound disappears. When lifting the clutch up to the "Bite" it is most noticable and then when fully released you can still hear it but not as bad as when it is at the "bite"

It has not caused any issues with driving etc and the car still drives perfect. Is this anything I should be worried about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Chris

BMW 320D SPORT 2004 - BMW 320D SPORT-Noise when clutch is released - Peter D

Gear input box bearing, lay shaft needle rollers, you need to describe the noise. Difficult I know but try it. Does it get worse if you rev the engine and do you notice it when moving. Have you check the gearbox for oil level. Regards Peter

BMW 320D SPORT 2004 - BMW 320D SPORT-Noise when clutch is released - BMW320D SPORT

Hi Peter,

I have not checked the gearbox level but I had the car serviced about 3 months before the noise started happening so I don't think it would be that? (I know zero about cars though so forgive me if this might not be the case!)

I do not notice the noise whatsoever when driving, the only time I seem to notice it really is if I stick it in Neutral and then release the clutch. The noise, as you say is not too easy to describe, but I'd say it is like a loud whirring noise which is much louder when the clutch is halfway and then dies down but there is still a noticeable whirring when the clutch is released in neutral.

There is no problems/noticable noises etc when I am driving at all?

Thanks,

Sorry Peter,

Missed off one of your questions....... No it does not become louder when revving the engine.

Cheers

This could be a worn clutch release bearing, or the gearbox input bearing. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 29/04/2010 at 14:50

Thanks for your reply Peter.

Are either of these problems anything to worry about? Will it just continue to make a noise etc or should I look at getting it repaired if it is a sign that it will breakdown etc eventually?

Are they expensive problems to fix?

Thanks for your time.

Chris

BMW 320D SPORT 2004 - BMW 320D SPORT-Noise when clutch is released - AM

Hi

It is prob the input shaft bearings. Don't think you should worry, apparently all BMW gearboxes do this to some extent. I had an older 316i.Initially bought at 70,000 miles and taken up to 180,000 + miles.

I noticed this noise when I bought it, took it to an independant BMW garage who said to leave it since "they all do that" to a certain extent. I tried changing the gearbox oil but it made no real difference. Same car got to 180,000 + miles on the original gearbox and clutch.-Was still going strong when was sc***ped under the gov. scheme.

^^^^^^ Excellent! Hopefully it will be that, many thanks for your reply.

No, the bearing noise can go on for 10's of thousands of miles without getting worse. Regards Peter

BMW 320D SPORT 2004 - BMW 320D SPORT-Noise when clutch is released - Faxo

Why has noone mentioned the most likely cause, the dual mass flywheel?

All these symptoms point to that, and it will only get worse! Replace that and the clutch, and the noise will be gone

Because I have never heard a DMF have a loud whining noise. I suggest going to a BMW garage and asking there workshop forman to have a listen to the noise. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 30/04/2010 at 09:35