Jetta - Poor Heater - ajsdoc
My Dad has an E Reg Jetta 1.6 now up to 130,000. It's been an excellent car. However it has developed a problem and I'd be grateful for any help.

The heater is hot for the first few miles driven but once the car gets to normal operating temperature the heater blows only cold air. He has changed the thermostat and drained and flushed the cooling system (including flushing the heater matrix seperately). Still hot air for only the first few miles.

Any ideas as to what to do next, as ever all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.
Jetta - Poor Heater - jdeari
Had the same problem with mine about a year ago. Went to local VW dealer and bought the part (just explained the problem and they knew what I needed), basically the valves to control the flow and return to the heater. Don't remember the exact cost but I am sure it was less than £20. If you can use a screwdriver you can change them in less than 1 hour. Why bother trying to find a dealer who will honour the recall.

Jetta - Poor Heater - BrianW
I have the same problem on my Pug 405.
Heat comes from the heater (almost too hot) whilst the engine is warming up. Once the engine is warm you can only get heat on the "Hot" setting.
I wondered if it was an airlock or partial blockage so that water pressure through the heater is only sufficient with the engine thermostat closed.
No coolant loss or any other visible symptoms.
Jetta - Poor Heater - Garethj
405 has a very complex method to top-up and bleed the cooling system. I don't recall the method but the Haynes manual should cover it? Quite easy to get an air lock somewhere in the system though.
Gareth
Pug - Poor Heater - BrianW
Hmmmm ....
The coolant was changed by the main dealers at the previous service, they should have got it right, but you never know!
jetta - poor heater - ajsdoc
Just to let people know, we changed the bypass valve on the jetta (£39) and everything hunky-dory. Thanks for the help.

Andy.
Jetta - Poor Heater - BrianW
Seeing ajsdoc's reply, has the 405 got a bypass valve, I wonder?