Peugeot 307 2.0 petrol - Ticking noise from RH dashboard / scuttle - nico

After a decent run the car sometimes makes a ticking noise that sounds as though it comes from the far right hand side of the dashboard. It can be heard quite plainly with the engine idling.

Having pulled the panel off which covers the diagnostic point there doesn't seem to be anything there that could make the noise and it sounds as though it is coming from further forward.

If I switch the engine off the noise stops and doesn't come back with the ignition on. If I turn the engine on again it may or may not come back after a minute or so. Because the engine must be running to get the noise it is difficult to hear anything in the engine bay but I can just hear it coming from somewhere near the wiper motor which is not switched on.

I can't find anything that doesn't work properly and it only happens after a run of 50 miles or more. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks.

Peugeot 307 2.0 petrol - Ticking noise from RH dashboard / scuttle - Limberneck

This ticking noise is caused by the purge valve of the fuel evaporative emission control system. The system has a charcoal canister that collects fuel fumes from the tank and holds them. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the ECU feeds the vapour from the canister into the inlet tract to be burned. The canister and purge valve are located behind the wheel arch liner inside the front offside wing. My 307 1.6 has the same setup. Bit of an annoying noise but much less annoying when you know why it is happening...

Peugeot 307 2.0 petrol - Ticking noise from RH dashboard / scuttle - jc2

The purge valve for the Evap. system should only operate when the engine is running "closed loop" mode-ie when the mixture is controlled by the HEGO sensor(lambda).This means it won't operate when the engine is cold or at idle.

Peugeot 307 2.0 petrol - Ticking noise from RH dashboard / scuttle - Limberneck

My 1.6 petrol 307 definitely allows this valve to operate at idle after being driven around. Not noticed it particularly if the engine is allowed to warm up whilst at idle. Does this mean there is a fault? MIL is out.