Ford Fiesta 95 M - Engine Tapping - shj35

Just got myself a Fiesta Frascati 1.3 on a 95 M plate... Was tapping fairly loud when i got it, and ive now done an oil change and engine flush. Tapping is still there, when i took the oil out.. there was only 1 litre in there... Is this a case of damage done?? Or is there something i can do to stop and fix this tapping??

Ford Fiesta 95 M - Engine Tapping - dv

Refill it with the thickest oil you can find (e.g. 20w/40) and sell it?

Ford Fiesta 95 M - Engine Tapping - Tommk4

Well filling it with the wrong type of oil is one option, but it's totally irrsponsible and the sort of behaviour only carried out by unscrupulous and imorral people who, in my opinion, are not fit to own a car, let alone sell one.

It toatally depends on what is causing the tapping noise, the tapping noise and the loss of oil may not even be related. Look underneath the car to see where the oil leak is coming from and take it from there. The tapping noise may be something easily reparable, on a car of that age there is a good chance it could just be the tappets need adjusting.

Ford Fiesta 95 M - Engine Tapping - DP

Tappet adjustment would be the most obvious place to start. These engines usually need it at every service, but it often gets ignored/forgotten. Not a difficult job. Replace the rocker cover gasket before you refit the cover (a cork item, and about £2 from most motor spares outlets).

Err on the side of looseness rather than tightness. Better to have a bit of noise than have the clearances too tight.

I have lost count of the number of these engines on which I've taken the rocker cover off, only to be greeted with solid black crud where there should be oil. Try the tappets first.

It is a mark of the basic toughness of these engines that they seem to soldier on, albeit noisily even after years of complete neglect.

Ford Fiesta 95 M - Engine Tapping - shj35

that was the next thing i was going to try :) Already got a new gasket for it and it was fitted... your also right about the c*** under the cover.. needs a good clean for sure.. quite possibly something i will do today. What Oil do you suggest i use??

Ford Fiesta 95 M - Engine Tapping - jc2

On a similar engine,I used Ford Motorcraft 20w/50 in the summer and Ford 10w/30 in the winter;was still running well when I sold it at 150,000 miles.

Ford Fiesta 95 M - Engine Tapping - jc2

And make sure ALL the filters and orifices in the crankcase ventilation system are clean.