Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - oilrag

Well, I reckon they may be the most likely auditory advisories of antideluvian anxiety - the horse shoes in an oil drum, low frequency cacophonic cornubia of lost love in the tin can of one`s youth.

Don`t you just love engine sounds? Perhaps you removed the sound deadening too, so you could hear that `diesely sound` more clearly as you motor along (cough)

So you are `tuned in` - you can hear these low frequency engine sounds - as in youth and find them interesting. You`ve done lots of oil changes on lots of engines and have run different viscosity oils through the same engine and know about the increased noise on lower viscosity oil. You may, for example have tried that new low viscosity oil from BP 40 years or so ago instead of Duckhams Q - and couln`t wait to swap it out again following the increased clatter.

Small wonder then, that your ear picks up that slightly muffled mechanical noise on doing an oil change. Even doing an 8 month - 3,500 mile change on the 1.3 Multijet, yesterday. On Mobil one too - one of the worlds best oils.

No measurable oil used during that 3,500 miles - so it seems the noise reduction on new oil, can only be from contrasting lowered oil viscosity of the old oil.

Two questions

1) Can you hear the difference too?

2) What price 20,000+ long service intervals?

Auntie Nelly don`t care....

But why are we so sensitive to certain sounds? Laying in bed I can even hear a `displaced` Magpie scratching on the roof tiles... ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 03/04/2010 at 09:38

Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - gordonbennet

1) Can you hear the difference too?

2) What price 20,000+ long service intervals?

Auntie Nelly don`t care....

But why are we so sensitive to certain sounds? Laying in bed I can even hear a `displaced` Magpie scratching on the roof tiles... ;-)

Lets deal with the important Magpie question first...no problem shoot them or trap them legally, they'll kill and eat almost every fledgling within their defended area if you don't, trust me on this.;)

1). anyone who has an ounce of mechanical sympathy can hear the smoother gentler sounds of their engine enjoying good quality fresh oil, i'll go so far as to say that very high quality multigrade such as your choice or the even better Millers.;).;) will ensure the engine remains quiet and refined for far longer than some others. Some drivers may not hear the changes, i wonder if they tinkered and coaxed often battered jalopies to keep them running in their younger days, did they learn to listen for that hesitant moment, that tinkle/rattle/pink/rumble or feel the car run on when they switched off and pencilled in a decoke soonest? Did they learn that hearing those faint sounds could mean an easy quick repair befor real damage could be wrought?

2). i haven't a clue how much 20K service intervals will cost eventually, though there's every chance they'll be fine for the likely ownership period of advocates of long life servicing...those that renew cars frequently and those too bone idle to slip an oil change in between.

It's the poor chap who sees the gleaming coachwork (dealer estate agent speak) of that admired upmarket badge 5 to 10 years down the line that finds out the true cost of missed sorry long life servicing, knowing in his heart he's bought a fine vehicle, a respected marque with a fine reputation never for one moment thinking of the battered and ruined very lifeblood of the engine is really a watery fuel enriched (dpf did it regen) mix of destructive chemicals picking away at every particle of the cars insides like some resident parasite.

Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - k9dan

I reckon GB is right on this, it's only the longterm owner of longlife service will see the negatives of that. Only time will tell, as the oil companies claim not. it's not too long ago cars had 3000 mile services, so oil protection has taken a leap. I recently bought a new Octavia and it's on longlife service, according to the dash it looks like it will be serviced around the 15k mark which I can live with,(turbo's don't like dirty oil) to keep the warranty intact. The local dealer also has a busy service dept and hopefully uses the proper 507.00 spec oil. I'm tempted to renew the oil after their service to ensure the proper oil ( it ain't cheap). After warranty period it will be done every six months like her indoors Panda which runs sweet as a nut. Both are easy to do esp the Skoda filters are at top of engine, and I bought a new fangled oil sooker gadget, which has been tested on the Panda and took out every drop of oil.

Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - Sofa Spud

I think I'm quite tuned in - I like to think I'd see the oil warning light when it comes on, or failing that, the rapid heat build-up inside the car before the engine seizes!!

whoops! i might have pressed the wrong button and submitted my own post as a complaint ;-

picasaweb.google.com/spamtrap362/DropBox#

regular grease and oil ( sorry if you`ve seen it) the frame pic was taken 2 days ago and applied last August.

Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - Avant

Don't worry - "complaint" deleted. All well.

Thanks Avant, sorry about that.

Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - Cliff Pope

Your last memory of the sound of the engine running on the old oil will be with it hot, immediately prior to draining. You then pour in cold oil and run the engine for a few minutes to circulate it and to check for leaks round the oil filter.

The new cold oil will be thicker than the old hot oil, so of course the engine will immediately sound quieter.

By the time you get to hear the noise running with hot new oil, your previous memory will have dimmed and been replaced with a satisfied glow at having done a good job.

It's all in the mind, or as it said on the brass plate on an old glass Lucas ignition coil I once had filled with a lovely rich red oil, "The oil makes the coil".

Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - Lygonos

You're wasting your time CP, the laws of fluid dynamics don't apply to these guys and their engine oils.

Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - gordonbennet

Sorry i assumed CP was being a bit of a minky with his tongue in cheek post, knowing full well no one's talking about the initial start up following the change, but weeks and months after.

Not all oils are equal, I have found over the years that Millers and Fuchs (Silkolene) take some beating and these are preferences for me, not the least reason being they provide superb products without needing to reduce the pack to 4 litres just to squeeze a bit more cash out of the buyer which many reputable names have resorted to.

Edit....there are other often smaller makers of fine oils too, not knocking the main manufacturers that sit on the accessory shop shelves.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/04/2010 at 09:46

Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - diddy1234

I wonder if oil changes are more noticable on diesel engines.

My car has recently had its second service and straight away the engine idling is more quiet.

Maybe it is just me (as I am still getting used to the diesel engines quirks) but I could never tell from my previous petrol engines the difference before and after an oil change (until I checked the oil myself) in terms or engine running.

But with Diesel the clatter is more quieter even when cold and also the typical rumble through the car is less after an oil change.

Slapping pistons - oil and the human ear - Avant

I think that as well as the oil it's a matter of rhe type of engine and how it's used.

I can remember in around 2000, whren I had a Laguna V6, the service manager at my friendly Renault garage saying what a lovely sweet engine it had - I think this was at the 40,000-mile service. Indeed it went on to do 100,000 miles without trouble and never used a drop of oil. None of yer long-life servicing despite the high mileage - oil change every 10,000.

I think that had something to do with the Laguna having done those 40,000 miles in 18 months or so, mainly on motorways. It was a lovely sound - well-oiled and unstressed (like some of us after a bottle of good red wine.....)

Edited by Avant on 04/04/2010 at 16:46