Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - oilrag

Mrs oilrag breezed in, tossed her Home Care uniform into the washer and headed for the bathroom. Just the job, I thought.... i could do an interview on her new car while she is a captive audience.

"How do you find the new Panda, now it`s run in" --- " IT`S SLOWER THAN A COCKOACH!!"

Oh, dear - shouted a little and I caught that rare edge of emotion coming through ..Gulp.

"Anything else, Mrs O?" --- " It only has one door lock and the drivers backrest won`t fold back"

Leaving the cockroach to rest for a moment, I explored the last two comments.

I saw the lack of a lock on the passenger door as a good thing. something less to oil and if a new lock set were ever required - it would cost less. (as it seems Fiat ony sell complete lock sets) But Mrs O, sees you as being cheap-skate, Mr Fiat. And i bet you never thought that someone would want the drivers backrest to fold forwards, on a four door car either - so they didn`t have to open two doors to put extra stuff on the floor behind the front seat...

Returning to the cockroach claim now, which I had challenged, having had one of those mental images where a giant oriental cockroach - like a brown shivelled carrot on legs - had overtaken the Panda on the M1 while it was doing 90mph.

There was a snort of derision from the bath. "look I know them, what they can do, I grew up with them"

Actually there was one in the fridge on holiday and it slid out on it`s back twitching after us switching it on when we arrived. They are quite good looking really, very functional in an insecty sort of way - when you look closely and you could get them to keep still.

Should Fiat be going for `cockroach brown` in their colour palete then? Perhaps a proboscis shaped grill and shimmering wings attached to the roof, instead of the roof bars?

" It`s slow away and has no go" (Echoed from the bathroom)

Oh dear.... It should be said at this point though, that Mrs O wants a Ferrari - would settle for a large Audi - but found a Grande Punto far too big - before buying the Panda...

Anyway, she seems to be right because comparing the speed over the ground - and in particular away from a standing start, the giant oriental cockroach can move it`s own body length in a fraction of a second, where the Panda cannot. (It`s a slug away from lights compared with the old `torque by cylinder capacity under 1,000 revs` 1.9D.)

It`s reported to be "great on ice and snow" and first experience of a car with ABS was very positive. The high driving position is liked, along with light controls and a heater that is hotter than the one in the old, 1.9D Punto - which it replaced.

The first - out of the box- fuel consumption figures on that multi stop-start home care running was 47mpg - contasted with 51/53mpg on the old diesel. I was amazed the Panda did so well, at temperatures down to -6c too, at the time of measurement.

looked at from my own perspective. This car will be serviced entirely by me, there is no aircon to go wrong, the Fire engine is easy to service and it had that non- interference cambelt design, that of course means no damage if the belt snaps.

It seems a good decicion to snap cars up with this well proven engine - as the more complex and possibly more potentially repair expensive new engines are surely almost ready to be fitted?

It looks great in white too, I`ve offered to to spray it with Flit to see if it will go any faster, but that has been declined.

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 01/04/2010 at 09:11

Actual Panda during the buying process

picasaweb.google.co.uk/spamtrap362/Panda#

This might be a temporary image

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - gordonbennet
Well reported Oily, i did wonder if the effortless thumping torque of the old Punt would be missed, though i'm surprised Lady O isn't complaining about stalling on the new one, i've stalled more of these than i've had hot dinners, though more 500's than Panda's to be fair, ham footed.

Surprised and impressed with that fuel consumption given the use it gets.

Don't carry many but had a new 4x4 Diesel Panda on the other day, what i did notice was a set of Continental winter contact tyres proudly showing, not cheap at all in fact probably one of the most expensive tyres they could have fitted. Seemed at odds with some folks opinion of Fiat which would appear to be misplaced, i've seen an increasing number of cheap tyre fitments finding their way onto other (trusted, desirable, fashionable?) makes.

Which tyres does the cockroach have?.
I suppose you went for the manual locking Yorkshire version.;), the lack of passenger side lock might seem lacking but at least they fitted the keylock on the drivers side, many owners of current foreign and British cars will find that when their central locking packs up then the only keyway is on the passenger side.
Though they'll have to get the CL fixed whatever it costs no manual door lock systems...which has always concerned me in the event of accident causing full electric failure and being trapped inside locked doors that the handles won't open unless the electric locks are released.

Been reading of various DPF probs with the 1.3D engine in various makes, you were so right to avoid that given the good woman's running pattern.
I've tried to tell him, but a mate has just ordered a 1.3cdti for not dissimilar use in his work, that will be interesting in due course, he had one with the 1.7D and that was a little peach torquey and trouble free, obviously no DPF in sight, i hope he doesn't expect that low speed grunt either.

Yes, It is the `Yorkhire version` GB - with the key operated door lock. I was sweating in the showrom in case Mrs O would want it lumbered with air-con. (I was longing for a wind up window job at this point, but as it was not an option, kept the thought to myself)

It has Continental Contact 3 tyres - 155/80 R13 79T. No doubt, that`s why it was so good in the snow.

Yes, Mrs O does stall it.

I enjoy driving it but have great trouble hearing the engine when pulling out of junctions. (some high frequency hearing issues)With no rev counter, I can`t compensate for that visually, either.

Several times I have slowly let out the clutch to find the engine is not running due to stalling it - without realizing. I`ve stopped driving it actually as when I get back in the van, I`m then stalling that, due to it`s heavier clutch and different biting point. (good job, I`m not trying to load your transporter)

I`s a big success actually and if I were driving it exclusively - I would soon adapt.

I was in the dealership buying a couple of filters (van and Panda) and will be putting it on Mobil 1 0w40 at 1,000 miles. It`s currently only done 500 - all for work.

Anyway, thought I would check out what the Nov 2005 Multijet van was worth for another new Panda. (not really seriously) You know the van from other threads, it`s done 33,500 miles. Guess how much against a list price Panda?

Anyone?

Edited by oilrag on 01/04/2010 at 15:22

I'll hazard a guess at £2 to 2.5K.

Not really thinking of replacing that ridiculously frugal van are you, unless maybe thinking of a 100hp Pand to keep swmbo amused whilst you get the Cockroach?

another edit if time...i bet you don't relay that suggestion to the Lady O..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/04/2010 at 15:45

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - Nickdm

I reckon 1500 quid for the van when traded in against a new Panda :-(

I bought a new Panda 1.1 for the now ex-SWMBO a few years back. Car was a hoot, and dirt cheap to run. It did struggle on hills with the air-con on though! Did see 90+mph on the clock once, at which point you could watch the fuel gauge go down.

I was led to believe that the 1.2 engine was a fair bit gutsier, but I'm driving a 1.2 Fiat 500 at the mo and I don't think it is!

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - WellKnownSid
I was in the dealership buying a couple of filters (van and Panda) and will be putting it on Mobil 1 0w40 at 1,000 miles. It`s currently only done 500 - all for work.

Shouldn't you hold off the first change until the rings have had chance to bed in?

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - barney100

Many Yorkshire folk like me love central locking actually and only have manual locks on our wallets, these are particularly essential when venturing down south.

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - Alby Back

The "old" Pandas ( both of my wives have had one ) "felt" fast. Something urgent about them although one always knew deep down it was all an illusion. I do hope that feeling hasn't been designed out of the new ones, it was very much part of their charm.

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - DP

The "old" Pandas ( both of my wives have had one ) "felt" fast. Something urgent about them although one always knew deep down it was all an illusion. I do hope that feeling hasn't been designed out of the new ones, it was very much part of their charm.

That has always been the best thing about small Italian cars. Even the lowliest, least exotically specced four pot shopping car coming out of Italy had loads of fizz and enthusiasm. I remember when I was selling Fords for a living, the used car boys bought some 6 month old, ex rental 1.1 Unos . Compared to a 1.1 Fiesta, they felt like F1 cars, and as we proved up the local bypass one slow Sunday afternoon, they would pull away convincingly from the bigger 1.3 Fiesta too. But the best bit was the way the engine felt like it would take on an XR2i, and win. So eager and responsive, and so sweet at high revs that when you were caning the living wotsits out of it, it actually sounded and felt happy. The diametric opposite of the awful, breathless CVH and HCS rubbish that Ford were inflicting on mk3 Fiesta drivers at the time.

Edited by DP on 01/04/2010 at 22:52

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - Avant

"How do you find the new Panda, now it`s run in?"

Later you say it's done only 500 miles. Give it another 1,000 or so and it might loosen up a bit.

I drove SWMBO's Mini convertible the other day - done 2,000 miles now and noticeably livelier now than it was when I last drove it (when it had done under 1,000).

"Cockroach" sounds very male, doesn't it - but they can't all be, as the race would die out. What should one call a female cockroach I wonder? I'm sure Oilrag can come up with something original - other than henroach.

Edited by Avant on 01/04/2010 at 22:04

"Flying Frits" would do for male and female versions - although it must be said that term was coined by ex GF, Fiona back in the early 80`s upon first seeing those `wings at both ends` bee type things, while camping in the South of France.(as in I`m frit of that)

The van was worth £1,500. Gulp ;-( I`m going to do a thread on it with pics so will concentrate on the Panda, here.

We discussed the Panda 100 bhp yesterday GB - Mrs O won`t hear of spending an extra £3,000 on a car, quote - "that`s another holiday"

We actually test drove one at the dealerships insistance when they first came out - and we drove it a couple of miles up to an M1 roundabout, where I opened it up, but kept it under 3,000 revs out of respect for the next owner. At those revs it had nothing on the van, (with van`s max torque coming in at around 1,800 revs.) Nice cars though and I wouldn`t mind one personally if it could be made to look more like a Dynamic model, with steel wheels and so on.

Re oil and the rings. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 on the Multijet at 300 miles and then 1,000. It`s regular service interval with me is between 6 to 8 months and up to 6,000 miles (typically 4,000) Fiats service interval is 12,000 miles.

The old 1.9D had it`s oil changed at 3,000 miles (half interval) and I used a diesel specific 15w40 (Rimula) as with the recommended 10w40 used to leak from those O ring gasket areas on the cambox (plastic) cover.

With this engine you could really hear less clatter after new oil. The same with the van on Mobil 1 - but less pronounced.

I`ve forgotton to mention the main thing about the `cockroach` completely faultless - and believe me - I`m a manufacturers nightmare, going through the engine bay and even under the car looking for chaffing cables and so on.

Nothing!

To say I`m impressed with that is an understatement, as it`s a first.

Hope you are all relaxing and enjoying Easter Hols ;-)

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 02/04/2010 at 08:20

'Flying Frits' is a good one! As a Southerner I'd never heard 'frit' as an expression until Margaret Thatcher showed her Lincolnshire roots once in the Commons when accusing someone on the other side as being scared - I can't remember now of what.

My late father was from Lincolnshire but he was a brave naval officer and would never have had reason to use that word.

Edited by Avant on 02/04/2010 at 11:46

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - Herr Sandwichmann

Thanks for your post, Oilrag - I quite like the Panda and would consider one if I needed a small car.

It's nice to see some more familiar names posting on the forum again, and hope more will continue to do so. Speaking of familiar names, does anyone know whether Rattle ever decided on a replacement for his ill Corsa? I am on tenterhooks...

HS

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - Hugh Watt

Well, meinherr, wouldn't want to spoil your fun in catching up with a couple of months of Rattle soap opera, but if you google something like Rattleandsmoke + Panda ...!

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - Rattle

OK it seems silly not to post on here now its working and people are wondering what happened.

Most will know the head gasket went on my Corsa and I sold it. I have since been sharing my dads car and have placed an order for a brand new 1.1 Eco Active in May. It should arrive in May.

I really hope I have made the right decision but I wanted a well built simple car rather than a badly build complex car which seems to be the case of the Corsa D.

Insurance will cost me the same as the Corsa fully comp :)

So within a few months I have gone from driving a V reg, to an R reg and then a 10 reg :).

They reckon these engine need about 2000 miles before they loosen up. There is a lot of complaints on a Panda forum about how slow it is and its all brand new ones.

Edited by Rattle on 03/04/2010 at 16:10

Great to have you back, Rattle. We all enjoy and value your input, not least your IT expertise.

Good luck with your Panda when you get it. I think this and the 500, made somewhere in Central Europe, have benefited from more consistent quality control than Fiats made in Turin. I'm sure you're doing the right thing - effectively buying peace of mind so that you can concentrate on building your business.

Keep posting!

Did you go for white, Rattle?

regards

Hiya I went for New Orleans Blue in the end :).

Hi Rattle ;-)

Looking forward to your own review, when you start driving it - I hope you post one.

All the best!

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - Herr Sandwichmann

Yes, Rattle, nice to hear from you. Any chance of your tempting other HJers back from other forums? Come on in. The water's still warm!

Glad you took the plunge. No car is going to be perfect, but I hope that this one suits your needs.

HS

Yes, Rattle, nice to hear from you. Any chance of your tempting other HJers back from other forums? Come on in. The water's still warm!

I'm sure the same sentiment applies in reverse, no reason why any of us should be pawns in anyone's games, i post on other motoring forums too, room for all.
Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - 406HDIexecutive

I had an 04 panda 1.1 active there for about a year and it was not actually that slow, it did need to be revved like mad to go places but round town and on country roads it was quite nippy and fun to drive. Wheras i then got a 70bhp clio to replace it which was terrible it felt slow and did not give the sweet note of the fiat or rev as high, and the feedback through the steering on the panda was fantastic, it never stalled unlike the clio and many petrol cars it was great. I considered a 1.4 panda which has 100bhp but they are still a bit deer, so i went for a diesel and got a 110 bhp peugeot 406, this torque thing really makes all the difference it means all the power comes from less than 2000rpm. the thing is then all cars are different to drive, this peugeot i just drive at idle most of the time, wheras in a petrol such as the fiat it sat on the rev limiter to get around

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - bazza

Exactly! It's not slow, it just needs a different driving style, especially compared to a 1.9 diesel ! It's a small Fiat, there's only one way to drive them- and they thrive on it!

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - Happy Blue!

Many many years ago I had a Fiat Uno 70SL with a 1.3 engine. I had several non-mechanical problems with the car and was given a 1.0 base model as a courtesy car.

The courtesy car felt far more urgent and nippy than the 1.3 and I could never work out why.

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - Alby Back

A lifetime ago, when Mk1 wife had a Mk1 Panda we were due to drive to Italy for Christmas to meet up with some others for a skiing trip. I had a company Cavalier SRi at the time ( way hey ) but for some reason we couldn't take that, can't remember why, possibly something to do with the leasing company. Anyway, we took the Fiat instead. It was actually no hardship and coped very well. "Urgent " is exactly the right description Espada. Strange but true. It wasn't fast on paper or even in reality but it felt it. You could really throw them about and on snow it was a total hoot.

This hints at an interesting general question of whether you should go for the smaller or larger capacity engine in a given car.

Normally I'm one for the larger capacity - as it has an easier life and is probably just as economical - but I wonder if there's an exception if what is wanted in a small car is round-town nippiness. I'm no engineer (and it shows) but it'll be something to do partly with the torque of the engine and the gear ratios.

Years ago (1991 it must have been) SWMBO had one of the first Renault Clios - we went for the 1.4 but it was disappointingly sluggish pulling away from rest. Every time we had a 1.2 as a courtesy car it felt much livelier. Recently a 1.2 engine in a Fabia courtesy car felt equally lively - and the Fabia isn't all that small a car.

I haven't driven a Fiat 500 yet: someone may be able to tell us how the 1.2 and 1.4 compare.

Did the first oil & filter change at 1,000 miles. Used Mobil 1 0w40 and a filter from the dealership. It was pretty tight sliding the metal strap of the oil filter wrench between the alloy guard and the filter itself and I`m going to get a small one handed `open claw` type.

Halfords didn`t have any - but the French have them in hypermarkets and it will make spinning off the filter a moments work -- with no need to thread a strap past that rather hot alloy shield.

I thought about running of a few pics - but there seemed to be no in interest when I did it for the change on the Multijet van.

DIY is dying now isn`t it? Despite simple basic cars like the Panda making it even less work than before.

Yep people don't want to get their hands dirty :). I like messing with my push bike and do quite a bit of DIY in the house (plumbing, painting, electrical fittings) but with cars I limit it to the filters and changing the odd sensor.

How are you finding the active now? I am getting mind soon (hopefully) and getting excited but a bit nervious that I may find elements of my dads 13 year old Fiesta better!

It's partly as you say - people don't want to get their hands dirty (in fairness, many are just too busy) - partly also that jobs that even I as a non-mechanic could do (like changing a set of spark plugs) are more complex now, or don't exist (changing contact points) because everything is computerised.

If you see this, Rattle, is your professional knowledge of computers of any use in a car engine? In the light of what you say above, I suspect it isn't - and that's a reflection on in-car technology, not on you!

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - bathtub tom

>>there seemed to be no in interest when I did it for the change on the Multijet van.

Perhaps there might be elsewhere?

My knowledge of computers and basic (GCSE) knowledge of electronics does come in useful on cars. I have replaced and repaired electrics a few times in cars but I am useless with a spanner.

I can measure voltages on sensors such as the TPS etc to find if it is functioning or not and I can understand ECU fault code readings.

So yes having a technical background does help when repairing cars but I don't have any mechanical knowledge whats so ever. I know how an engine works and what all the parts do but I have no idea how to take any of them apart.

I am finding that I do find mechanical things easier as I get older though. For example I fitted a speedo on my bike today and it was a piece of cake but a couple of years ago I would have found it difficult.

If I keep my Panda beyond four years then I certainly intend to do the oil change and plugs myself as I sort of have off road access now.

Hi Rattle, How are you?

I think you made the best choice with the panda - what with it`s galvanising - non interference belt and lack of aircon. (less to go wrong)

As I service and look after Mrs O`s PandaI `m thinking of doing pics of the jobs - especially now that I have found Picasa - more space there than on my own webspace.

It`s been flawless and i`ve been over it very carefully checking. As to be expected the gears were a little stiff at first and there was a tendency to crunch when selecting reverse from a cold start.

That has entirely gone now at 1,000 miles as they have bedded in and the gearchange and feel of selecting reverse is smooth and slick.

I just paused for a couple of seconds on selecting reverse - or put it quickly into first - then reverse for the first few hundred miles.

It`s a brilliant car - a real feel of quality and durability in the build and fittings. the new larger mirrors are better when driving too.

I got used to having no rev counter and the engine is very free spinning - it seems to get quieter actually as speed increases and is smooth at an indicated 80.

There is just one job I did to save grief in the future - a wipe of HMP grease over that pressed steel sump.

Actually I`ll take a shot of the oil filter area and tools later today.

All the best ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 24/04/2010 at 07:24

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - k9dan

Oily- the filters are a breeze on the Pandoo, I use either the big filter pliers you mentioned, or a boa constrictor rubber strap thing, cheapest from Aldi's. Both work well. Watch when you do the spark plugs they are near the injectors and easy to knock when taking off the HT leads, which can sometimes strike against the connector for the injector breaking it. (small square yellow plug)You then need a new injector (£200). Happened to me although I am a bit scepital how it got damaged,but trusty independent showed me broken one from cylinder which was not firing. I don't think I'm that clumsy and don't remember hitting the plug.

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - madf

Oilrag said: It was pretty tight sliding the metal strap of the oil filter wrench between the alloy guard and the filter itself and I`m going to get a small one handed `open claw` type."

I use the rubber strap thing you buy in supermarkets to open jars... they are great for oil and fuel filters in confined spaces.. don't slip...

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - P3t3r

I have a 100HP and like the fact that there is no lock on the passenger side. I never use the locks because I have a remote, but I suspect that the 1.1 doesn't have remote locking. On my last car somebody tried to break in on the passenger side with a screwdriver or something, which really made a mess of the paintwork, this shouldn't happen on this car. As you mentioned, it's also less maintenance and less to go wrong. It would be a bit annoying if it hasn't got remote locking though.

I haven't driven a 1.1, but I did drive a 1.2. The 1.2 was very dull and boring, and nothing like my old 899cc Seicento, which was fun! The 1.2 is very similar to the 1.1, but it has a bit more power. I found that it was too quiet too, which made it difficult to drive. During my drive I decided to try flooring it to see how much performance it actually had, but then I reallised that I alsmost was flooring it, but didn't know because I couldn't hear anything. You can get the 1.2 engine with aircon for just a few hundred more than a 1.1, which makes it very good value, but that's obviously no good if you don't want air con.

The 100HP has a lot more performance and the engine sound is just about right. It does have a lot more potential problems though. It is an interference engine (which worries me a bit), it has a much firmer ride, it drinks a lot more fuel and the gearbox (6 speed) can have reliability issues. I also don't like alloy wheels now, steel wheels seem to be much better, so that's what I will look for in my next car. Alloy wheels are very expensive to repair or replace, and difficult to clean.

It's a shame they don't make cars like they used to. My old Seicento was great fun and on a motorway run it would easily use less fuel than an Aygo.

Thanks for the info K9Dan and Madf.

Sorry to take so long to get back with these pics, that show my current filter removal tools and the small gap between filter and shield.

picasaweb.google.com/spamtrap362/Panda11OilChange?...0

I`m new to servicing Fire engines and the oil filter caught me out. The strap wrench that you can see is at the end of it`s life with severe cracking and unable to grip due to absorbing oil (despite a wipe with de-greaser)

In the end I had to break off and go to Halfords to buy the metal strap wrench on the left in the pic. That really got a grip on it - but it was very tight from the factory and took some cranking off with the tool. The one handed claw type grip is my favourite but too small for this filter and I intend to source one in France or Germany in a couple of weeks time. (where this one came from)

I noticed that the Fiat dealer parts dept had sold me a filter branded `Clean Filters` and suspected the worst - but no, it`s made by a big Italian filter company who seem to have been Fiats preferred supplier in 2009.

Fiat part number for the oil filter is - 46544820

Clean Filters - DO 895

Purflux - LS910

Champion - F128

Unipart - GFE 400

WIX - WL 7134

Tecnocar - R304

All according to Clean Filters comparison chart.

I noticed that there were two oil filters specced for the 1.1 Fire engine - the one used for the 1.1 Panda we have is longer and slimmer than the other.

Incidentally I thought I would permanently bookmark this thread and add to it while doing any jobs onMrs O`s Panda. A sort of `life history` as time goes on.

It would be great too if anyone wished to add their own knowledge and experience with this car and it`s engine.

regards to all

Edited by oilrag on 27/04/2010 at 08:44

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - doctorchris

Oilrag, as I know you are a sensible chap who only tightens his oil filter by hand, you will find that at your next oil change the filter will similarly unscrew easily by hand.

You will find almost all maintenance on the 1.1 Active is relatively simple. However, checking the valve clearances is much more of a faff than in the days of a clanky steel rocker cover with a cork gasket. So many pipes and connectors to remove and, more importantly, to put back in the correct place. "You're Panda smells of petrol fumes", I recently said to my daughter. She replied that it had been like that since last serviced by a dealer, 2 years ago when the rocker cover was disturbed. Lo and behold, the rocker cover to throttle body breather had never been replaced correctly, hence the fumes.

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - mattbod

I think the sentiments expressed about this little car are exactly what I feel. I had an Uno 45 FIRE as a first car and it was a very eager little engine: good throttle response and plenty of low down flexibility for suh a tiny engine. That was running on a carb though. I don't know if the engine has lost any of this moving over to injection?? I remember reading in HJs used car guide that this engine is "good for 300,000 miles" and is a safe engine too if the cam belt breaks.

I share the sentiment about the old pushrod HSC Fiestas of the 80s and 90s. The FIRE engine felt like a turbine after those rattlers. Not driven a Panda though, maybe I should. I am just waiting eagerly to drive the new two pot that's due!

Maybe the smaller capacity engines feeling livelier mentioned on here is due to them being a bit sweeter to rev than the larger capacity unitss?

Edited by mattbod on 28/04/2010 at 13:37

My mates 1.1 feels very quick at lower speeds but after 30mph it seems to tail off.

Does the Fire have hydraulic tappets? In some ways I would prefer the good old fashioned system like on the OVH fiesta.

As for aircon it is not quite that simple. The Panda is supposed to be a very cheap car the the 1.2 with aircon is two insurance groups higher. For Mr 50 year old with two kids and a wife who is a bank clerk that is no issue. For a young 27 year old being driving for less than two years old living in Manchester and it makes a big difference.

Also with the aircon on I imagine a lot of the 1.2s power will be drained.

I am expecting the lack of remote locking or a rev counter will be the two things I would miss.

I had a little chat with a tech prior to delivery - they check the shimmed tappets but "they never need adjustment these days, unless the head is off."

How long before you collect your car Rattle?

Rattle, I would have cried my eyes out if Mrs O had demanded aircon ;-)

Never! What you don`t have -- can`t go wrong...

Edited by oilrag on 28/04/2010 at 20:34

Would you have bought the Panda Actual if it was sold in this country? It is so basic it dosn't have electric windows, central locking and even power steering is an option!

My major concern with aircon and a 1.2 litre engine is the engine would have to work harder to drive it and that may mean the head gasket goes quicker.

Did FIAT sort the head gasket issues out with the FIRE engine circa mid 90s?

Mind you my Panda will be getting an oil change every 3000 miles and fresh coolant every year.

It will never see the so called 330,000 miles because I will be long dead before I get to put that much miles on it!

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - doctorchris

1.2 Pandas don't seem to have the history of head gasket failure as seen on the Punto. This could be because the cooling system is better designed on the Panda.
My Panda 4x4 Climbing with aircon did become a little more sluggish when the aircon was switched on but the 1.2 engine was already working very hard in that heavy car with its additional transmission power loss.
Again, no evidence that aircon produced HGF.
What I would like to see in Britain is a no frills Panda 4x4 diesel as seen on the Continent. I was lucky and bought my Cross at a hefty discount but I would never buy now that the price has gone up and discounts have shrunk.
Bet you can't wait, Rattle, to take delivery of your new Panda.?You will love it, I just know. However, 3,000 mile oil changes and annual coolant changes are just a little bonkers and a waste of resources.

Not really because that would be once a year. If I did more miles which i suspect after october I will do then it will be more like every 5000-6000 miles.

I will over service it but I won't go over the top. Maybe every two year for coolent would be better along with the break fluid.

I am looking forward to it a lot first time I have been excited in a long time. I will phone the dealer Monday to see if I can get a confirmed delivery date.

Depending on how long my dads 13 year 86k Fiesta lasts I may sell my dad the Panda within a couple of years to keep it in the family. I suspect what might happen is I keep the Panda for the full four years and we replace the Fiesta with another stop gap banger and then in four times time I will see the Panda to my dad for £2400 (the guarenteed purchase value).

Yes, I would have bought an `Actual` with wind up windows Rattle. It would have been a skimp too far for Mrs O though ;-)

One of the main attractions for me to buy the Mk2b Multijet Punto van was mechanical door locks, wind up wndows and so on. I love basic crates.

About that oil filter Chris. Yes, it was really cranked on at the factory - I wonder if they bother to oil the seal on the assembly line? I just tighten oil filters with one hand.

Re the red long life coolant. I prefer to change it every three years Rattle. It`s in the Van as well.

Edited by oilrag on 29/04/2010 at 07:34

Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "slower than a cockroach" - madf

Long life coolant is long life. Peugeot 106 diesel - all alloy - had it installed in 2001. I had to change the thermostat last week and drain coolant: minimal discolouring and corrosion. Thermostat housing and bots on a 17 year old car were with original inside finish with zero corrosion.. (The bolts are approx 25cms and screw through the coolant into the alloy block. Still with original protective finish.Amazing)

I used Halfords 10 year Long Life: highly recommended

Mrs O, put it to the £5 hand wash - valet this pm

Bet me to it... could have saved a fiver ;0(

Update on filter tools

I searched for a single handed fllter tool inFrench supermarkets, but found none that would fit the 1.1`s filter.

Then, by chance came across this (look at the pic on the grass) in a local small accessory store, this morning.

picasaweb.google.com/spamtrap362/Panda11OilChange?...#

Of course you CAN slide a thin strap wrench between the filter and the alloy heat shield, but I reckon it will be much easier and one handed with this tool.