Volvo S60 2.4D - High mileage buy - MorrisOx

I've posted elsewhere about getting ride of my 55 plate Mondeo TDCi 130, which is not wearing its age well.

Have looked at a used Volvo V50 1.8S, good, low miles example but worried it might be too small. have now seen, online an 06 Volvo S60 2.4D (the old 163bhp D5) for under £5.5k - but it's done 98K miles.

The car looks superb, has FSH, but I've never tried a car with such high miles. Am I buying a load of trouble?

Volvo S60 2.4D - High mileage buy - Cliff Pope

Volvos really must have come down in the world if a mere 98,000 miles is considered "high".

Do you really want a car that isn't run-in yet?

Volvo S60 2.4D - High mileage buy - Slightlyfatdirector

I had an 05 version from new and took it to 98,000 miles with only one small electrical glitch.

Other than that, great car. The mpg was just getting better and better and by the time I traded it in I was averaging over 50mpg, and I drove it quite hard. Fabulous engine, somewhat harsh ride quality was the only critism. Very well specified car, even the basic S model got loads of bells and whistles.

Can be heavy on front tyres, especially if Pirelli. Change to Michelin HP Primacies for better fuel consumtion, quieter ride and nearly 3 times the number of miles before they wear out.

A really good choice of car that has the added benefit of looking really good.

Good luck!

Volvo S60 2.4D - High mileage buy - nb857

is it not just a Mondeo in a different body?

Volvo S60 2.4D - High mileage buy - 659FBE

No, that came later. The S60 was the last "true" Volvo.

I have the use of one of these from time to time (petrol engine) and it makes an interesting comparison with my diesel Superb.

There's no space in these cars - anywhere - for its size. Huge centre console, no rear legroom and poor boot access. Miserable for rear passengers.

The turning circle rivals that of the QE2.

The petrol auto is unspeakably thirsty - but then my Superb is a manual PD diesel.

It's noisier than my diesel.

But it's obviously very well made and wears its miles well. Beware of cambelt tensioners failing before the belt. Volvo's change interval is a tad optimistic and some tensioners don't make it.

Even as a diesel, I wouldn't swap - it's just not an efficient package for its overall size. Probably an excellent car to have a crash in.

Volvo S60 2.4D - High mileage buy - DP

I had a 51 plate 2.0T until a couple of months ago. Bought with 126k, sold with 153k. No breakdowns, one minor fault (indicator stalk), servicing and tyres/consumables only. As 659 says, this was the last of the old school Volvos, the last to be designed, developed and engineered before Ford's involvement, and mine certainly had that traditional Volvo "tank like" feel to it. The doors clunked, the seats barely looked sat in after 153,000 miles, the engine idled and pulled as sweetly and smoothly as it did when it drove off the production line, and it didn't use a drop of oil.

Lovely car. I would still have it now if SWMBO hadn't hated it (too big, cumbersome and difficult to park).

Agree with 659 on the hopeless turning circle. Also not the kind of car that has you searching out entertaining roads due mostly to the very light and alarmingly dead steering (which actually makes it feel quite modern ;-)). If we're nitpicking, the low speed ride is lumpy, and the rear legroom lousy for such a big car.

Otherwise, it's a corker. Well made, quick, refined, reliable, good looking (IMHO) and supremely comfy. You will not find significantly better seats in any car at any price.

Edited by DP on 31/03/2010 at 18:27