Two speeding tickets in two days - Timewise

We have a new speed camera around the corner from our house and this morning there are two letters about speeding tickets from it on the doormat for two days last week, 41 in a 30 and 39 in a 30. The camera is not a normal Gatso - was fixed but doesn't flash apparently. My wife and i are both retired and drive the same car and we're up and down there all day as our daughter has a new baby. Not sure who was driving but they want to know. Neither of us has any points and we've had driving licenses for nearly forty years. any advice on how we deal with these? Do i answer honestly and say i don't know, say we'll take one each or say i am the fool and send them my licence and a cheque for both of them?

two speeding tickets in two days - robertd

My wife and i had a very similar experience nearly 4 years ago (80 mph in a 70 limit). Neither of us could remember who was driving and i replied accordingly. i also asked if there was any photographic evidence to indicate who was driving. they sent a photo but you could not make out who the driver was as the windscreen appeared opaque.

they eventually summonsed me to appear in court and i then appointed a firm of solicitors to represent me. as soon as cPS were aware of this they dropped the case and my costs were paid out of central Funds.

i believe it is a criminal offence in itself if you wrongly give the name of the driver so i cannot see how you can give the drivers details without risking doing this.

My case was nearly 4 years ago so i dont know if anything has changed in the meantime but i hope my experience may help you. Good luck!

two speeding tickets in two days - Falkirk Bairn

take 1 ticket each and move on.

Last month 2 people were fined £2000 for trying to avoid £60 & 3pts as neither could remember who was driving!

Drive more slowly

two speeding tickets in two days - Altea Ego

as he says, claim one each - the combined flines for a first offence may be less than one driver wracking up tWo offences.

two speeding tickets in two days - LucyBC

in practical terms it might make sense to split the tickets but making a false declaration is against the law and while the penalties for failure to identify the driver are steep there is protection for the genuine defendant.

So are you absolutely certain you cannot identify who was driving on each occasion?

Two speeding tickets in two days - concrete

The point is, it is your vehicle and does anyone else have regular access to it apart from you and your wife? If not then one of you must have been driving it. In that case it makes sense to take a fine and endorsement each and put it down to experience. All very galling when you know it is a money raising issue rather than a safety one. But live and learn and join the happy throng of millions of us who have contributed to Browns extra road tax over the past few years. Also take the fine quickly and at least benefit from the early payment discount. Maybe next year it will buy one get one free!! Chin up, don't let them grind you down. Concrete.

Two speeding tickets in two days - Armitage Shanks {p}

The speeds for which OP says the tickets were issued look more to me more like safety issues than money raising!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 06/04/2010 at 09:14

Two speeding tickets in two days - concrete

How many cameras have you seen or know about that you think are genuinely there for a safety purpose? Not many I guess. It's a pound to a pinch of horse manure that the 'new' cameras are in a suitable location to produce revenue. The OP and his wife have not had a conviction in over 40 years and are clearly used to travelling that road frequently at 39ish in complete safety. Then, overnight cameras apprear and guess what? Locals get caught. I bet that many more locals got caught out for the first few weeks. It would be interesting to know if there has ever been an accident where the cameras are sited. Anyway ,top and bottom is you have been captured, take a discounted fine and points each and take care not to contribute more to the 'extra' road tax. Concrete

Two speeding tickets in two days - richard price

If you belong to a motoring organisation ie RAC, AA, CSMA, or even your own motor insurance you may find their legal department may be able to advise or even represent you at court. Worth a try.

Two speeding tickets in two days - velocityblade

The idea of asking for photgraphic evidence sounds like a helpful one. If you can't see from the photo who was driving, then maybe the "take one each" plan is the best bet.

For info, I was caught with my first speeding fine ever in over 35 years of driving cars and bikes, just a few years ago. I was offered a choice of paying the fine and getting the points, or attending a "speed awareness" seminar for 3 hours. I opted for the latter. It was free, interesting, helpful and also meant I kept a clean licence. If your local police force operate such a scheme it may be worth taking it.

Two speeding tickets in two days - Armitage Shanks {p}

Speed awareness course unlikely to be offered for these speeds. I wasn't offered one for 35 in a 30. Depends on the area you live and maybe the unblemished record to date might count for something.

Two speeding tickets in two days - E.Patterson - Motoring Lawyer

If you don't know who was driving at the time then you should say so. The best policy is always to tell the truth and if the truth is that you don't know then thats exactly what you should say. You will then have to show the court that you have used reasonable diligence to figure it out if you get summons to court for failing to name the driver.

If you are of good character and its believable that you have done your best and don't know the answer then you will probably be believed. But bear in mind that failing to name the driver carries 6 points so be careful.......

Two speeding tickets in two days - Peter D

Reasonable Diligence includes asking for copies of any photo's to help identify the driver. Do not elaborate or use the words evidence or proof. The photo may help you to identify the driver. Failure to Furnish can cost you 6 points and circa £500.

What is this camera that does not flash. A mobile van set up does not flash but Gatso's and Truvelo's flash Is this a RedSpeed cameras mounted hi up 4 to 5 metres up.

The person that replies to the 39 mph should attach a covering letter enquiring about speed awarness course SAC as the guidance is 10% plus 6 and if you are lucky and there is a place availble you may be awarded one. Regards Peter