1999 - Remote keys - blank
Some advice please!
I bought my (used)Mondeo from a dealer who supplied the car with one remote key and one ordinary key.

My questions are:
1 - Is this the way the car would have been supplied new?

2 - What happens if I lose the remote key or flatten the battery? Can I obtain a new one easily, or is major dealer expense?

3 - Can I change the battery without messing it up?

4 - Is it easier and cheaper to get a spare remote key rather than await the inevitable loss or flat battery?

Thanks all
Andy

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/05/2009 at 15:10

Ford remote keys - jc
1.Yes.
2.Doesn't matter;unlike some manufacturers,you can use either key in in the locks just as if they were not remote.Ford dealer will supply and programme.
3.Yes;see handbook.
4.Upto you.
Ford remote keys - keithb
Is this a Mark 1? If so, a red master key was supplied when new and this is required to program new keys to the immobiliser. Programming the remote key to the central locking (req'd if batteries in key go flat) is not covered in the handbook but I have the procedure if anyone wants it - for infra-red Mark 1 only.
Ford remote keys - martina077
Is this a Mark 1? If so, a red master
key was supplied when new and this is required to program
new keys to the immobiliser. Programming the remote key to the
central locking (req'd if batteries in key go flat) is not
covered in the handbook but I have the procedure if anyone
wants it - for infra-red Mark 1 only.

Keith I know that it was a long time ago that you posted this message but do you still have the code and if so could you please let me have it.

Thanks
Martina

Martina, You can get the info from

www.mirez.co.uk/KeyProg.htm

Hope it works for you

Ford remote keys - moto
Dear Friend,
I have a Ford Mondeo and is a infro red typor. I need to programme it. Please send me the instructions by e-mail

Thank you.
Kind Regards
Moto
Dear Friend,
I have a Ford Mondeo and is a infro red typor.
I need to programme it. Please send me the instructions by
Thank you.
Kind Regards
Moto

You have hidden your email address so I can't email you. But, as stated in my reply to Martina, you can get the procedure from :

Ford remote keys - steadfast
Hi Keith,
I have had a Mondeo Mk 1 since new and the batteries went flat ages ago.The first time they expired,the local ford dealer only charged for the battery.However,now I am told it is costly to have them do it.I don't think I can change the batteries in the specified time of 15 seconds.I would be grateful if you could tell me how to resynchronise if I fail the 15 second test.Would you also confirm the battery type.
Cheers
Ford remote keys - Dynamic Dave
Keith hasn't visited the forum since the 12th Nov 2005

The info is provided in the link he posted, namely:-

I'm 99% certain the battery will be a CR2032.

EDIT - although further up this thread it says they're CR2016 x 2 off.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/05/2009 at 15:13

Ford remote keys - steadfast
Thanks DD
Ford remote keys - kithmo
I paid £80 at Ford dealer to supply and program a normal key including deprogramming the one remote key I had and reprogramming both, to prevent the original lost key being used should someone have it. A remote key would have been another £15 or so. This was for a 2001 Mk 3 Mondeo which is normally supplied with one remote and one normal key when new.
Ford remote keys - Bobba
Help!!!

I've just bought an 'M' Reg Mondeo Si (2.0 16v). The car came with two keys. Both are original Ford keys but one has snapped and both are worn! I foolishly thought all I'd need to do is get a couple of keys cut but the guy in the shop tells me if he cuts me a key, all it will do is open the doors but not start the car.
I now understand that I should have a got a 'red master' key with the car that will allow me to reprogram keys I have cut using an ignition switching sequence. Well my question is, where do I stand??? Can I use the key I currently have (it has a red 'tab' on it) to reprogram a new key ??? How do the keys work i.e. is it by proximity - I held the Ford key next to the key I had cut to try and start the car to no avail... I wouldn't have thought an electrical signal has to travel through the stem of the key to the lock barrel.

Also would anyone know if this car should have remote central locking???

Thanks in advance,
Ford remote keys - wee_paul
Message to all.
Try the website below. It explains all of the keys supplied to each Mondeo MKI,MKII and MKIII and how to program the keys.
Also EBay has some remotes on auction. Selling between £20 and £40. You will have to program these on your own or get a dealer to. Also beware newer type 3 button remotes for 1999 MKII look the same as those on the new shape but apparently have a different chip inside.

Hope this will be of some help.

sorted link. See Andy S\'s message for details. DD
Ford remote keys - blank
Ta for that Paul, useful link. Best bit is that it tells me how to disable the 2-stage un-locking which has irritated me every time i\'ve used the car.

Andy

ps. If you put http:// before the www, you\'ll get a proper link. See DD\'s post in Announcements for a proper explanation. Hopefully he\'ll fix yours soon

pps. www.mirez.co.uk/keyprog.htm incase he doesn\'t!
Ford remote keys - blank
Help!

I typed \"http://\" between the words \"put\" and \"before\", but the site obviously removes them! But I now see that in \"reply\" mode they\'re back. How wierd.
Hope DD\'ll fix my post too!

Andy, sorted it. The software makes the http:// invisible unless you put it in quotation marks (\"http://\"). However if you put an invisible quotation mark before and after the http:// you can do it. To see what I mean pretend to reply to this message and click the \"Quote Orginal message\" to see how I did it. DD
Ford remote keys - John S
I note several references here to reprograming the keys. Actually it's the other way round. The keys all contain a fixed, unique, code on a chip. The reprogramming is to programme the car ECU to recognise the 'authorised' keys for that car, not the other way around!

The 'red' keys are important because they contain the access code for the ECU, and it can't be reprogrammed without it!

Regards

John S
Ford remote keys - Richard Turpin
John,
I have a 95 Fiesta. I only have a red key. When I had a new "spare" cut, with a chip, the reprogramming worked but the ECU forgot the new chip in about an hour. I took it back and got another. Same result. Do these work by proximity? If so, can I glue the red key under the barrel and then use new "spare" keys without any chips in them?
Ford remote keys - Blue {P}
They do work on proximity, but I *really* wouldn't recommend leaving your master key under the ignition. What did the Ford dealers say? The keys should not be losing their coding like that, I can't see why the ECU should be forgetting them either 'cos it's got a constant power supply.

If you haven't tried the dealers yet then give them a go, they will be best placed to advise and weren't even that expensive for me when I needed a new red master key, new spare, and an ignition barrell rebuild on the same car as yours. The total bill for everything was around £150. The red key and ignition rebuild took up most of the cost...
Blue
Ford remote keys - MarkII_V6
Does anyone know if the Ford 3 button remotes can be programmed to start the car in the same way as the non-remote keys can? The car is a Mk2 V6 estate (1999). I have programmed the RF keyfob which works fine but am unable to programme the key to the immobiliser using the usual method with two existing programmed keys.