Kangaroo cars - hillman
The plight of the occupants of the car speeding at 120mph toward a road junction in the USA, without throttle control or brakes was truly fear inspiring.
I too had a sticking throttle problem with the second new car that I bought, although thankfully not the brakes. A stiff throttle cable was the source of the problem. In slow traffic, to avoid jumping into the car in front I had to slip the clutch and use the handbrake. I complained several times but always received the answer, ?It?s the way you drive, Sir?. The dealer didn?t do anything at first, but mysteriously the throttle cable was replaced several times during routine servicing under ?product change?. Eventually the Manufacturer managed to get the problem sorted.
I do hate it when garage spokespersons are less than open with the actuality.

A second time was after having the clutch was replaced. The engine would die and suddenly surge. I took the car back several times only to have the lead mechanic perform a diagnostic test and say with transparent honesty and hand on heart that there was nothing wrong and it was the way that I was driving. After a particularly dangerous situation I spent time examining the engine and found that the same lead mechanic had not reconnected the crank position sensor securely.