Donuts ...... - robert
I noticed circular tyre marks in a car park recently and was informed that these are called donuts and are caused by cars rotating!

How do they do that?

Does the procedure differ for front/rear drive?

Apart from tyre wear, what else is liable to fail ......

In anticipation ......
Donuts ...... - zedzedeleven
I would think it`s more likely to be motorbikes, it isnt hard to do , hold the front brake on, high revs , drop the clutch to spin the back wheel and gently feed the back end round in an arc. Anyone with any mechanical empathy at all will not be able to do this . Unless on a mates bike .
Donuts ...... - Dynamic Dave
Donuts can only be generally be done with rear wheel drive cars. Put front wheels on full lock and floor throttle. Sounds simple, but you still have to have the ideal balance between steering and throttle/clutch control to maintain going round and round in circles.
Take a look at this Sunday's Top Gear (BBC2 8pm) They've got an item on Granny's doing donuts - and no, I'm not refering to Ford Granada's, but the blue rinse type granny.
Last comment, Jemery Clarkson has admitted on more than one occasion that he cannot perform donuts.
Donuts ...... - smokie
Donuts are a popular pasttime amongst the Caterham boys. They take spare sets of tyres down to Le Mans just to take account of the amount of rubber they will waste over the weekend.

Arnie Webb's website (www.the-webbs.com/index.htm) had some footage of donuts in production (as well as some other scary things, including one of the fairground strippers at Le Mans last year!), but it appears to be down right now.
Donuts ...... - Dave_TD
Round our way these marks tend to be created using stolen/ non registered Sierras and Carltons...