Longest m'way stretch without services? - movilogo
There are no services in M1 between J2 (London Gateway) and J12 (Toddington).

It's almost 28 miles or so.

Bad if you are stuck in traffic and get call from nature :)
Longest m'way stretch without services? - Alby Back
M25 I'd have thought ?
Longest m'way stretch without services? - drbe
Clacket Lane services to South Mimms services is - I think - 69 miles.
Longest m'way stretch without services? - rebel
"Clacket Lane services to South Mimms services is - I think - 69 miles."

With Lakeside services (by the Dartford crossing) roughly in the middle.
Longest m'way stretch without services? - FotheringtonThomas
If summoned by the lesser of the two calls, simply avail yourself of the open window.
Longest m'way stretch without services? - pmh3
If summoned by the lesser of the two calls simply avail yourself of the open
window.

But make sure the rear windows are closed!
Longest m'way stretch without services? - FotheringtonThomas
That's what's called "getting your own back".
Longest m'way stretch without services? - bathtub tom
Reminds me of the time I was carrying some soft furnishings on the roof rack up a motorway.

I decided not to cover them as the forecast was good and it hadn't rained for days, and we all know what happens to the best covers fixed by amateurs.

A mug appeared out of the window of a lorry in front and it's dregs were emptied. I was furious, but not as determined as SWMBO. She got the kiddies potty (we had a couple of ankle-biters at the time), put some drinking water from a bottle in it and after I'd passed said lorry, visibly tipped the contents into our slipstream.

I hope the lorry driver got the message. ;>)
Longest m'way stretch without services? - pda
I like that ....served him right:)

Pat
Longest m'way stretch without services? - bathtub tom
How do we know it was a 'he' Pat?
Longest m'way stretch without services? - pda
Now that's a very good point but if it was a 'her' she should have known better!

Pat
Longest m'way stretch without services? - LikedDrivingOnce
Now that's a very good point but if it was a 'her' she should have
known better!
Pat

Touche! :-)
Longest m'way stretch without services? - ifithelps
If we allow an M in brackets:

Scotch Corner to Wetherby on the A1(M) - about 40 miles.

There is a northbound-only Esso station, but that is to be demolished as part of the road widening scheme.

Wetherby has only been open a year or two.

Before that it was Scotch Corner to Woolley Edge services on the M1, near Wakefield - about 68 miles.

Longest m'way stretch without services? - Altea Ego
76 odd miles if you go Clacket lane to Pease Pottage.

(cheating a bit tho that's two motorways - it would have been over a hundred Pease Pottage to Warwick services, but they just built the Beaconsfield services)
Longest m'way stretch without services? - dimdip
London to the Northampton road services on the M40 used to feel like a long way. They've put in that claustrophobic little place south of Oxford now, but I'd rather 'hang on' I think...
Longest m'way stretch without services? - Avant
Oxford services a couple of years ago were being refurbished, and there was a notice in the Gents saying 'We apologise for the do-it-yourself nature of these facilities'.

I was left wondering what it was that Welcome Break staff would have done for their gentlemen customers under notmal circumstances.

Edited by Avant on 03/02/2010 at 23:47

Longest m'way stretch without services? - 1400ted
Birch services on the M60 to Birch services on the M60 must be a fair old trot !

Ted
Longest m'way stretch without services? - Dave_TD
With Lakeside services (by the Dartford crossing) roughly in the middle

Not if you go the other way, it isn't.

If we're allowed to use more than one motorway then Gatwick Airport to Toddington Services is a fair old distance (and a realistic journey to make if, for example, you used to be a cab driver from Bedford!). Not a pleasant run in heavy traffic for lots of reasons... The Shell HGV place just west of J9 M1 was often a welcome sight after 2 hours of single-figure average mph.
Longest m'way stretch without services? - bristol01
Birch services on the M60 to Birch services on the M60 must be a fair
old trot !

...especially if you've got the trots
Longest m'way stretch without services? - turbo11
Joining the M40 from the M25.First services you reach are at Oxford, a fair distance.40 miles at a guess.
Longest m'way stretch without services? - ijws15
Joining the M40 from the M25.First services you reach are at Oxford a fair distance.40
miles at a guess.

Not anymore - there are some "Extra" services just north of Slough, don't rememeber the junction number (A312?)
Longest m'way stretch without services? - Harmattan
Nice new M40 services at Beaconsfield with M&S (stop that at the back!) sandwiches. In my experience though, the longest stretch is the one where you are eking out the fuel with a feather-foot because you thought just past one or two services more and I'll be off for some cheaper non-motorway petrol. At a family get-together in Birmingham last week SWMBO dredged back 30 years to remind all present of the time our MGA ran out and freewheeled within sight of the slip road to Walsall and Great Barr on the M6. I filled up at the Shell station I had been aiming for all these years ago and it was still very much cheaper than anywhere else around.
Longest m'way stretch without services? - turbo11
Nice new M40 services at Beaconsfield with M&S (stop that at the back!) sandwiches.

>
Shows how much attention I have been paying. I havn't even noticed them driving past over the winter.>
Longest m'way stretch without services? - helicopter
I used to travel from home near Pease Pottage on M23 and visit my brother in Kenilworth via M23 , M25 and M40 and I know it was a good hour and a half drive at 70 to reach the next services which were somewhere beyond High Wycombe . Very difficult if you get caught short

Sometimes when you have to go you have to go....

On one occasion we were caught on M25 between junctions 9 and 10 in a horrendous traffic jam and SWMBO was caught short and in very severe distress indeed...... she asked me to stop the car and luckily we were in a cutting and I noticed a set of steps up the embankment into some woods and pulled onto hard shoulder with hazards - I have never seen her move so fast......