306 Brake discs - grahamE
My 306 needed new discs at 72000 mile service and at about 80000 miles I started to get severe break judder. Dealer changed discs under warranty but now 6 months and 6000 miles later judder is coming back.Could it be a bad batch of discs or is there another reason? Anyone else had similar problems?
306 Brake discs - Ross_D
This seems to be a common complaint with 306 owners, especially the with the ones with the discs replaced by the dealers(!). New discs can be ruined by not bedding them in properly, or even not fitting them properly. The hubs have to be spotless when fitting, otherwise the disc will not seat properly and cause judder.
Im pretty sure that Peugeot uses Bendix discs, when I upgraded the brakes on my 205 to 306 spec I used these, and judder appeared within a few thousand miles, even though I was very gentle with them for that period, so yes it could be the discs.
You could try not taking your car to a dealer, a smaller garage that trades on reputation will probably do a much better job at a fraction of the cost.
Not sure if this is going to help......
Ross :)
306 Brake discs - Ben79
Does the 306 brake judder dissappear when the pedal is pressed harder?

My Xsara has started to do that. It has ATE powerdiscs fitted, but the hub wasn't completely spotless (not shiny but very slightly corroded.) but was smooth as a baby's bottom.

Should I be considering removing the discs (if they will slide off easily) or just carry on and cope with the slight vibration under high speed gentle braking?

Thanks

306 Brake discs - IanT
My 306 had its front discs and pads replaced for the first time at 99,000 (I'm a gentle braker!), using Halfords discs and pads. Some time later, I started to notice a bit of judder when braking from higher speeds - eg exiting down a motorway sliproad - but not noticeable at slower speeds. I didn't have to be braking hard to get the judder - just normal slowing down from the higher speeds.

At 106,000, I had to have the front suspension arms replaced because the rear rubber mountings on the arms were giving way (apparently Peugeot won't sell just the rear rubber mounting by itself). While it was in the garage for that, I asked the mechanic to examine the brake judder.

On collecting the car, the mechanic said he agreed the brakes juddered, but couldn't see anything wrong so it was likely the discs had warped. He blamed Halfords quality. He recommended I change the discs again.

I DIDN'T CHANGE THE DISCS AND THE BRAKES HAVE NEVER JUDDERED SINCE!

I can only assume either:
- Fixing the suspension arms also fixed the judder, or
- The mechanic did something (perhaps did some stonking emergency stops which I never do) which removed some high spots on either the discs or the pads.
306 Brake discs - IanT
Just a minor correction -

I replaced the discs for the first time at 99,000. The pads hadn't lasted that long!
306 Brake discs - grahamE
No. The harder you press the worse it is.
306 Brake discs - Andrew-T
About 10 years ago my wife's 205GR developed brake-disc judder at 8K miles. I had the discs skimmed which cured the problem, but it gradually reappeared over the next 10K. I assumed that this indicated uneven metal in the discs leading to unequal wear rates. Could be some other cause, but what? IIRC, I fitted new discs, but can't recall whether that was a permanent solution.
306 Brake discs - Ian D
Had something similar on my Fiat Coupe, the original discs lasted 55000 miles, the replacement set lasted 1000 miles before severe judder, worse as the discs heated up. Does the judder get worse with more and more braking? If yes it could be:

1) on my coupe the pads were such a tight fit in the calipers that they were not fully releasing and were continually in contact with the disc, thereby apparently overheating and warping the disc. On the coupe this is due to the stainless steel pad guides in the caliper lifting and causing the pads to fit too tightly, not sure if this could affect the 306

2) if the calipers are sticking it could have the same effect of not letting the pads release from the disc and causing the discs to warp, get the calipers checked/cleaned
306 Brake discs - Carl2
There could be a bit of run out on the hubs. This could be causing any discs fitted to distort.
306 Brake discs - deere3350
My 306 developed a brake judder after an mot. The franchised dealer changed the rear drums and pads. Judder reduced but not eliminated. The dealer then advised me that the front disks were slightly warped so these were replaced. Problem solved for a few months. Judder returns. Rear drums replaced, this time under warranty. Judder reduced but not eliminated.
By this time I was pi***d off with having spent a pile of cash to be no further forward.
Dealer took the car in for a few days foc.
On return I was advised that the judder had been partly caused by an alloy wheel that had not been centralised properly when it was put back on. I found this explanation a bit dubious because as far as I can see, the wheels can only go on in one position. Didn't really believe the dealer but who was I to argue as the judder totally disappeared for a year...

Until the wheels were off at the mot...