Speed Camera Thread - Volume 52 - Pugugly
For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 52.

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking HERE

Edited by Pugugly on 25/01/2010 at 19:57

SPECS - know anyone who has been caught? - BobbyG
As the title suggests, has anyone on here been caught by SPECS average speed cameras or know anyone who has?

Pub discussion last night, we have various stretches of them near Glasgow - M77 / A80 roadworks, not to mention previous M8 roadworks and no one seems to know of anyone that has been caught at them!

Must mean they are very effective at making drivers keep to the limit..........
SPECS - know anyone who has been caught? - Nsar
Unless.......
SPECS - know anyone who has been caught? - Bromptonaut
Bobby,

My impression is that SPECS are highly efficient at regulating traffic in M/way roadworks. I beleive they have also been very effective on one of Scotland's "black spot" A roads.

Here in Northampton they're used for routine enforcement on the A43 round Weston Favell. Certainly keep me on my toes!!
SPECS - know anyone who has been caught? - M.M
Late last year SWMBO drove at 60-70mph through a 40mph limit with specs..... never heard a thing. She's very pleased... I was amazed.
SPECS - know anyone who has been caught? - Armitage Shanks {p}
For the way they work, no lights, no flashes etc they could ALL be dummies but who is going to check it out for us? I drive thru several SPECS stretches of M way and am amazed at the speed that people drive thru them!
SPECS - know anyone who has been caught? - AlanGowdy
For the way they work no lights no flashes etc they could ALL be dummies
but who is going to check it out for us? I drive thru several SPECS
stretches of M way and am amazed at the speed that people drive thru them!

I think perhaps many drivers are so thick they don't appreciate what 'average speed' means. I've often seen people racing at 30mph or more over the temporary limit through roadworks that have these cameras and then braking to a 'legal' speed as they approach the camera!
SPECS - know anyone who has been caught? - movilogo
If someone tells you they don't work - what will you do?

Drive past them at 90 mph?

SPECS - know anyone who has been caught? - RegPlate
This was discussed a couple of months ago on Chris Evans Radio show. Some people did call in to say they had been done, but I don't know personally of anyone either.

I always remember some of the news stories from a while back of how they were going to be doing speed cameras. Do you remember:-
- Cameras in cats eyes?
- Cameras in the linings of motorway bridges so you didn't even know they were there?

I'm pretty sure a lot of these are done to scare you into slowing down.....but I'm not going to take the risk! Are you???
SPECS - know anyone who has been caught? - David Horn
My personal opinion is that less than 25% of them are active at any time. My reasoning?

1. At night, the active cameras have quite a visible red glow from the infra-red lamps used to read number plates. This is only visible on a few cameras.

2. Logistically, it must be quite difficult to set the things up - they need to be a precise distance apart; they need to talk to each other; they need to then have a link back to police HQ etc.

3. Vast numbers of people charge through roadworks at much greater speeds than GPS 57 mph. Presumably, these people would have lost their licenses* by now if the things worked.

* Of course, this could actually represent the proportion of people who have cars registered to false addresses and who simply don't care. Same cars doing in excess of 100 mph regardless of conditions.
Community Speed Watch. - FotheringtonThomas
I've been invited to volunteer to man one of these "portable roadside speed measuring devices". Zounds!
Community Speed Watch. - Mick Snutz
I've seen this being done in my road but never got the chance to ask them how to get involved.

I'd like to know more.
Community Speed Watch. - Old Navy
Is your police authority short of funds, and are the coppers all going to be in their warm office downing tea and donuts while you are doing their job? Wannabe traffic cop's dream job.

Edited by Old Navy on 08/02/2010 at 13:44

I'd happily point a hairdryer at speeding motorists along my road if it made the anti-social gits go slower.
Community Speed Watch. - Clk Sec
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I'm not a policeman.

Clk Sec
Community Speed Watch. - Lud
I'm not a policeman.

Neither am I. What's more, I am in favour of the anti-social gits getting a damn move on.
May I ask who is looking for volunteers FT, police, councillor, pressure group?
Community Speed Watch. - FotheringtonThomas
A politico, "his" Neighbourhood Action Group, and the police - "We want volunteers ... send a letter to PC....".

Edited by Clk Sec on 08/02/2010 at 17:16

>
Neither am I. What's more I am in favour of the anti-social gits getting a
damn move on.

Even when cars are doing 45-50 in a 30 zone along a narrow sidewalk where lots of primary school kids are walking?

If you still think that's ok then you've clearly got issues.
Community Speed Watch. - Armstrong Sid
Isn't it sometimes the case (although it may be urban myth) where the people who get caught are predominantly locals who were the ones complaining about speeding in the first place?
Community Speed Watch. - old crocks
They are rushing to get the last space on the zigzags outside the local school. ;-)
(although it may be urban myth)

No it isn't. Happened in my area not so long ago.
Community Speed Watch. - ifithelps
...where the people who get caught are predominantly locals who were the ones complaining about speeding in the first place?...

This has happened several times to my knowledge.

I'm no statistician - I can barely say it - but most drivers' annual mileage is made up of mostly short journeys.

These short journeys must, by their nature, be close to home.

So it follows the majority of drivers on our roads - particularly non-motorways - are local people, irrespective of the speed they are doing.

Community Speed Watch. - drbe
a narrow sidewalk where

Woss a sidewalk?

Do you mean a footpath, footway or pavement?
>>Woss a sidewalk?

It's something from across the pond, like bb's Bonnet in another thread.

Clk Sec

Edited by Clk Sec on 15/02/2010 at 08:22

Micro Fuzion Laser Detector - Grease_monkey
Has anyone used or got one of these Camera Detectors?

www.radardetectors.co.uk/micro_fuzion.htm

I'd apprieciate peoples opinion.
Forward facing cameras - Ben 10

Just came past a forward facing speed camera tonight, approaching at 40 mph and passing through at same speed. So the camera has done its job. Slowed me down to make that section of dual carriageway safer.

But to my right a motorcyclist bombed past me and the camera doing 60-70 mph, at least. Ha! I thought, gotcha. But no. Think about it. These cameras see the plate on the front of a speeding vehicle. Motor bikes don't have plates on their fronts, so they can blitz through unchallenged.

Isn't this biased. The camera is therefore not performing a speed reduction at that spot. It is then a revenue raising camera, not a safety camera and therefore should be replaced for a rear facing one to make the system fair for all.

Forward facing cameras - diddy1234

the scammera should be removed completly as they are a waste of time and money.

Get the police patrols back on the road doing a proper job !

Micro Fuzion Laser Detector - colinh

Don't use in Spain - new offence introduced this week - €6,000 fine