03 2.5tdiPetrol in diesel - not started - hm
Hello all,

today my wife filled her 2003 Audi 2.5tdi to the brim in Petrol (62lts worth).

she only noticed when she came to put the nozzle back on the pump and found Mr Diesel was still home !.

Luckily she did NOT start the car....... however inorder to push the car out of way the ignition had to be put on to free up the steering wheel and put the car in N (it is an automatic)

I HOPE and pray that a full tanke drain should do the trick.. because the car had not actually run out of fuel am I right in assuming that techincally no Petrol should have made it to the Injector pump?.. of course the electronic lift pump would have kicked in but fingers crossed.

Recovery took the car to a local garage who will drain the trank and change the fuel filter, (I guess that is the moment of truth.....)

Fingers crossed....

H

Edited by Pugugly on 25/01/2010 at 18:07

03 2.5 Petrol in diesel 2.5tdi Audi - not started - CraigP
Fingers crossed H. At least it wasn't started. Hopefully it'll be absolutely fine!

Only thing i can think of that could do differently would be disconnect the battery before turning the key in the ignition.

On my automatic at least that still free's up the transmission selector and steering lock.

The question is, would i think to do that in the heat of the moment? Probably not :-(
03 2.5 Petrol in diesel 2.5tdi Audi - not started - Englishbullterrier
We has a 911SSC for a short period. The wife completely filled the tank with diesel, but did not start it.

Complete tank drain and refill with petrol and all was totally ok, 100%.

I think you'll be OK under any circumstances..............ebt
03 2.5 Petrol in diesel 2.5tdi Audi - not started - Englishbullterrier
PS, you should have been able to unlock the steering column with the key without having had to go to the next position of putting the ignition on......ebt
03 2.5 Petrol in diesel 2.5tdi Audi - not started - Peter D
Depending on the engine code multi cycling of the ignition to repeatedly fire up the lifter pump will restore near perfect deisel to the HP pump. It is a 3 letter code I need. Regards Peter
03 2.5 Petrol in diesel 2.5tdi Audi - not started - WorkshopTech
These use the old Bosch rotary pumps which are pretty robust so unlikely to be any damage at all. Just empty out the petrol and drain the lines.
03 2.5 Petrol in diesel 2.5tdi Audi - not started - hm
All, thanks for the comfort :0)..

Yes I know you cn turn the key to pos 1 to get everything unlocked, but at the time I did not think (I also noticed the recovery guy did not care either) as she is not common rail touch wood no harm done. Spoke quickly with Audi, they said there should be no issue..

Drain the tank (pump it out via the level sensor access under the seat).. whip of filter and check for petrol (they said there will not be any)... fill new filter with derv... brim the tank with derv.. add a tube of millers or similar just for good measure and away you go.. they said they would not even blow the pipe's out... they engine is pretty robust..

Again, thanks everyone for the ''kind'' words.. just what I needed to hear...

As a further measure "I" will top the car up every 100miles.. it will make me feel better...
03 2.5 Petrol in diesel 2.5tdi Audi - not started - Hamsafar
I have the same engine and run it on all sorts of mixtures of fuels. It is pretty old tech and should not be affected as long as it isn't started (the fuel in the tank gets the engine very quickly as it is on a constant recirculation return to the tank.)