What to replace it with? - Nomag
Your advice and opinions sought.

My dad wants to replace his 2004 C-Max 1.6 110 TDCi Zetec. It's done 80k, over 70k in his hands since 12 months old. It was bought from a local car supermarket and has only needed routine servicing + tyres over his ownership.

The car is liked for it's ease of entry and egress (Mum/Dad in their mid-60s, and Grandmother in her 90s), low boot lip for loading of wheelchair, and passenger space vs size of car. I think the diesel is justified; dad does about 18k a year, lots of it motorway, and this car has averaged about 46mpg over it's life. It's nice and highly geared for a five speed box.

Dad wants to replace with the same. However C-Max seem (relatively) thin on the ground and used prices are strong (paid £9.8k for the car at 12 months old). Also there seem to be very few 1.6TDCi around; but the engine has been excellent -refined and economical. There are plenty of 1.8 diesels but I'm unsure whether this is a PSA unit like the 1.6 or one of Ford's own and hence will the economy/reliability be comparable?

Are there any suggestions for an alternative replacement other than another C-Max? It needs to offer similar, i.e. a small people carrier. There is no need for seven seats. Dad will spend up to £10k + trade in for his car, but would prefer to spend less, and has always bought used 12-24 months old. He won't consider a Scenic; he drove one and couldn't get on with the credit card igntiion and has been put off by reliability as the car ages (DPs posts on here!)
What to replace it with? - gordonbennet
Kia Carens, Toyota Verso (possibly expensive), new shape Berlingo.
What to replace it with? - Avant
For comfort and reliability I'd second the Verso and also suggest a Mazda 5 if he can get one within budget.
What to replace it with? - Lygonos
Hyundai Tucson maybe (being superseded so I assume some very good deals to be had) ?

Tucson is like a copy of the old CRV II, but also comes in FWD variants - high driving position, decent size boot.
What to replace it with? - ifithelps
Don't rule out the 1.8TDCi, it's reasonably refined for a diesel, if not quite as smooth as the 1.6 or 2ltr.

Bit more grunt which is no bad thing in a C-Max size car, particularly if you have passengers and a wheelchair in the boot.

Certainly worth giving a 1.8TDCi a try if, as they say, the price is right.

What to replace it with? - boxsterboy
New C-Max has been announced for later this year(?). I would have thought this would signal good deals on the outgoing model.

Alternatively C4 Picasso (with the same Ford/PSA 1.6 diesel)?
What to replace it with? - Brian Tryzers
The Verso scores for space and ease of access - you don't climb up (as into a 4x4) or down, you just sort of get in - but the folded third-row seats make for a higher loading lip than the C-max.

The 5 also has a third row and may have the same problem, although we scratched it from our list for other reasons - we didn't like the car or the pushy little man who tried to sell it to us.
}:---)
What to replace it with? - idle_chatterer
Mazda 5, better looking (I'd opine) and 7 seats on the same platform as the C-Max ?
What to replace it with? - Ravenger
The 1.6TDCi is a much better engine than the 1.8 TDCi. I'd have preferred a 1.6 in my C-Max, but ended up with the 1.8. The engine is much rougher and noisier than the 1.6, and is less fuel efficient. The cast iron engine block means it takes a long while to warm up, and makes it a heavier car.

On the plus side it's a (marginally) simpler engine, being based on the older TDi - allegedly the 1.8's are more reliable. It has 20% more power in the mid-range than the 1.6. It's an effortless motorway cruiser, and handles steep hills easily. My car is also fortunate not to have a DPF, so that's one less thing to worry about.

My C-Max struggles to get even 30mpg around town (though I live in a hilly area which does affect the economy). Can get up to 65mpg on long motorway runs if you keep it below 60.

If I had the money I'd have no hesitation in buying another one. I love the amount of legroom, and the high driving position is extremely comfortable even on long trips. Next time I'd go for the 2.0 TDCi for extra oomph if possible, or the 1.6TDCi otherwise.
What to replace it with? - tyro
If he likes it and it has been trouble-free, why doesn't he just hang on to it?

More than once I've heard stories about people who loved their car, decided to replace it with another of the same model, only to find that the replacement was not nearly as satisfactory as the one they got rid of.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look at the Kia options as dad has a very good friend who is a main Kia dealer - hadn't even thought about that!

He wants to change as he gets concerned about maintenance costs as the miles pile on. He's never kept a car to this mileage before (usually P Ex'd at 70k ish) and is getting twitchy about the clutch, even though I've told him it could last another 30k. I know what you mean though tyro - I don't want him to get a Friday afternoon one!

Maybe I'll be able to pursuade him to keep it another couple of years...
What to replace it with? - taxi iom 247
Nomag,id keep this car 4 a for at least another 2 years.Worried about the clutch,get your local recommended indie to check & advise.Not a great fan of the tdcis,mostly in my game they are not up to the job,but for private motorway miles i think youll easily do another 36k in 2 years,keep your dosh in your pocket or your dads,better the devil you know,as the saying goes
What to replace it with? - dumbo
taxi iom,

I'd be interested to know what diesel engines are up to the job? Do taxi drivers rely on word of mouth or is there information circulated around in, say a trade publication, that acts as a reference of some sort?

What to replace it with? - cheddar
The 1.6TDCi is a much better engine than the 1.8 TDCi. I'd have preferred a
1.6 in my C-Max but ended up with the 1.8. The engine is much rougher
and noisier than the 1.6 and is less fuel efficient. >>

I have driven the 1.6 in a C-Max and the 1.8 in a Focus and found the 1.8 just as refined and more punchy. The 2.0 is better again in both respects though.

The C4 Picasso is a great car though I found the 1.6d less refined than in a C-Max, could have been the particular car though.
What to replace it with? - cheddar
The latest C-Max in Titanium spec (nice wheels) looks great IMO.
What to replace it with? - mcguyver
I'll add another vote to the keep the old car campaign.

That sort of mileage is nothing for a modern car, and as your dad has got it this far without spending much, he seems to look after them. Even allowing for a possible clutch/DMF replacement, he's still quids in.

There doesn't seem much point in swapping for another C-Max, possibly with the 1.8 (yet another modified Lynx) engine.

What to replace it with? - Avant
Financially, the 'keep it' argument makes perfect sense.

But finance is (although essential) not the only consideration. I suspect that Nomag Senior wants a new, or newer, car and can afford it: in particular they don't want to be let down by an ageing car with nonagenarian Granny in the back.
What to replace it with? - Sconie
What about the Honda Jazz, good boot space and Jap reliability.
Avant's hit the nail on the head....I have tried to convince dad to keep the car but he is distinctly twitchy about ongoing reliability. However, in the absence of suitable 1.6s I think he will wait a few more months. I looked at the Kia Carens but it's not as well packaged as the C-Max, and the Jazz is too small (boot wise) for him.