Volvo S60 T5 SE v 2.4T SE - SjB {P}
Before committing myself, please can I ask any fellow Back Roomers with real experience of the Volvo S60 in both T5 and 2.4T guises to share their opinion.

I have long been a fan of the T5 engine, and a recent drive on deserted Swedish roads (albeit in a V70) has confirmed what an effortless powerhouse it is.

Browsing the web however, most motoring Journos appear to prefer the 2.4T, saying that it's 200 bhp is more useable than the T5's 250 bhp in everyday driving, with less turbo lag and a better torque curve.

I well know however the difference between briefly road testing a car that is not yours, and living with one that is for years, and therefore wonder what the real world difference between these two otherwise identically suspended and powertrained (with the options I would chose) vehicles, is.

Many thanks,
Steve
Volvo S60 T5 SE v 2.4T SE - Crombster
This I am interested in as I would like to know whether to buy a new 2.0T or a nearly new 2.4 or T5. As far as my research goes the T5 seems to get slated whereas the LPT versions are held in high regard. Would be interested in further thoughts on these models as well.

Volvo S60 T5 SE v 2.4T SE - Steve S
I've had all of these as loan cars at various times. The 2 litre is just a bit underpowered but fine when you've wound it up a bit and more that beats the base models that you usually find it up against.

Both the T5 and the 2.4T are excellent. The difference is more to do with how much "sportyness" you want. If you like things a bit hectic then the T5 is great fun.

I have a T5 myself (albeit a C70). If you want progress that is smoother and more relaxed but almost as quick, then the 2.4T is the better choice. The 2.4T particularly suits the 5 speed auto which, if I remember rightly, was one of the points HJ made on his test.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks HJ and Steve S.
Just what I hoped for to help the decision making process.

Looks like a 2.4T SE it will be, for which I am now going shopping abroad.

Cheers,
Steve
Volvo S60 T5 SE v 2.4T SE - Crombster
Please post your findings Steve as I would be prepared to take that route if the savings are big enough.

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart (Crombster)

As indicated in my last post, I have discounted the T5, and gone shopping for a 2.4T SE S60.

As well as the premium to pay for a T5 over a 2.4T, I have found a wealth of professional information to show that the 2.4T is often quicker in the real word, and even over a standing quarter mile, rather than the pointless 0-60, it is very close behind.

Without even breaking in to a sweat, I have sourced a UK spec S60 2.4T in Holland, to which I have added the options I would choose regardless of where I buy from, to within pence of £19,000. By the time I have imported it myself (one way air fare, weekend in Holland, drive home, VAT, registration fee, etc) I would still reckon to have change from £23,000, if I have done my sums correctly.

The same car, with the same options, to UK list price is just over £28,000.

Dutch delivery is ten weeks.

I will be selfish and keep the source to myself until done, but post this to say browse the web, send a few e-mails, make a few phone calls, and you will be amazed.

/Steve
... And one more think: Before you start contacting mainland Europe dealers, you MUST do your homework in the UK to get the *exact* spec you want.

I did this from the excellent Volvo Cars website, which has both a configurator to stop you choosing an invalid set of options (as well as giving you the price as you go), and a full spec and price sheet in Adobe Acrobat that you can download. I was therefore able to send a fully itemized e-mail to each of my potential sources, knowing exactly what UK spec means.

Good luck,
Steve

'think' of course was 'thing'.

/Steve