97 1.25 Remote central locking issues - SimonB84
The remote central locking on my car seems to only work when it wants. Central locking is fine when I use the key in the doors.

I've re-programmed the key a few times and replaced the batteries. Mine is an old 2 button key with the little glass eye on it.

I'm pretty sure it's the fob the light does come on when I press the buttons but it doesn't tend to do anything unless I spend 10 minutes trying.

I've been in touch with ford and it's going to cost a lot to replace the fob and then even more to code it.

Has anyone got any ideas on a cheaper alternative?
97 1.25 Remote central locking issues - elekie&a/c doctor
As you have the key with the glass eye,then you have the old infra red system which means that you need to point the key at the receiver unit in the roof,by mirror.If there is still no action,I would get an add-on remote keyless entry kit fitted.This will probably be cheaper than getting the original system fixed.hth
Cheers for the advice I'll have a look into that.

Is this going to be something I could do my self or will it be a nightmare because of the fords existing remote central locking and alarm?

To be honest I didn't even know it had an alarm until the other day when I opened the boot and it went off.
97 1.25 Remote central locking issues - bell boy
the last fiesta i had with the dome in the roof i hid the remote key from the customer and only gave them a basic key as it had a mind of its own
That sounds about right if mines anything to go by. I?m hoping that because it?s remote central locking anyway then fitting an after market kit shouldn?t be too hard seems as all the bits are already there.