94 1.3 New sparks but still stalling - Caribou
Fiesta would not start up Monday night without a lot of revs and then the engine would tick over normally, then the revs dropped and it died.

Spark plugs needed changing anyway so got that sorted.

Started up with a bit of a cough yesterday but then stalled three times as I was driving along, twice in second gear and once in third (although the engine did come back to life that time.)

Please can anybody give me some ideas of where to look at next, either stuff I can check or what to make sure the garage are checking, before I end up with a huge bill...

The engine sounds fine other than this. Could it be the idle control valve or something wrong with the fuel injection?

Any advice much appreciated.

94 1.3 New sparks but still stalling - CraigP
Does it smell rich / strong petrol smell?

Does the temperature guage get up to half way regularly or is the needle a bit lazy?

Does it behave differently whether warm or cold?

When it dies, does it sound like it's misfiring or running rough, or is it purely that revs die off?

Have not noticed any smell of petrol.

Temperature gauge always gets up to halfway okay, eventually.

Seems worse when cold but stalled in third last night after I'd driven about 4 miles.

Doesn't misfire or sound rough, the revs just died off.

????

94 1.3 New sparks but still stalling - bell boy
-------------consider---------- a faulty crankshaft sensor
its just above the starter motor going into the gearbox so it can read the flywheel
Hmmm that's an interesting idea that I'd not even considered.

Thanks.
From the symptoms above then, can I cross off the idle air valve or could that still be it?

Seen a couple of threads mentioning it but on different engines.

94 1.3 New sparks but still stalling - CraigP
I'm not all that experienced but idle control valve wouldn't be my first place to look.

Bell boy's suggestion seems the right next step? From what you've said the mechanical side of things (fuel / air / spark) seem ok i think.
Took it into the garage and asked him to clean the idle control valve to see how that worked out. Also asked about the crankshaft sensor.

Garage said because it's a slightly older model (built in 93) and the idle control is fixed to the body under the air filter (not at the front like later models) he couldn't take it out to clean. But he said he did test it by disconnecting the throttle and it moved in and out fine, so reckons it's okay anyway.

Re: the crankshaft sensor, he said that wouldn't be it on an older model like mine. (?)

I have noticed more that the temp gauge is looking a bit lazy and is only getting up to maybe one third the way up rather than half.

The weird thing is, if it starts first time, then it runs okay for that journey - doesn't cut out at all.

If it doesn't start first time (4 or 5 pops and a bit of gas) then it will cut out. This may be irrelevant but thought it might give somebody some inspiration!!!

Any ideas very very much appreciated. This all started after all that blinking snow :(
94 1.3 New sparks but still stalling - jc2
Your model,IIRC,would not have a seperate ISC,it's a CFI and the injector controls idle speed as well but it does have a crankshaft sensor-you'll find it just abve the starter motor.For a first step,just take off all the connectors you can find in the engine compartment,one by one,and put them back on-it does sound as tho' it could be a loose/bad connection.
Thanks for this info.

I was a bit confused about the exact engine type because it's a 94 L reg but was manufactured in December 1993. The mechanic said he thought it could be the carburetor itself but then I read somewhere else that this engine does not have a carb!

I'm taking it to a friend to have a look at, we'll start with the connectors and take it from there I guess...