01 1.4 Lumpy Tickover - Bobbydog
Hi All,
My vehicle has recently develped a lumpy tickover. Despite a full service by a local {not renault} reputable garage the problem still persists. The mechanic stated its probably one of the many onboard sensors but unsure which one. Hooked up to the computer reported ''no faults found''. Starting the engine at home from cold the engine misses slightly on the quarter mile steep incline. Once warm the engine runs reasonably well but at idle it deviates by around 200rpm. The stepper motor and map sensor have both been replaced with s/h but working units.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
01 1.4 Lumpy Tickover - andyp
If its a 16V, which i think it probably is, then it sounds like the symptoms of one of the infamous pencil coils is starting to break down. Not an expensive or difficult job fortunately given the amount that failed on my Megane !
You are correct it is a 16v.
I know too well about these coils and replacing them.
I even carry a spare just in case. When previous coils were about to fail the warning light came on. Three have been replaced, maybe its wise to replace the fourth one then!
01 1.4 Lumpy Tickover - andyp
I reckon it would be worth checking them all anyway, i never had the EML light come on when any of them failed on my Megane.
Whats the procedure for checking a coil then?
I have multi-meters etc.
Thanks.
01 1.4 Lumpy Tickover - Gawain
I have the same problem, what is the procedure ?

Thanks in advance