03 1.4 Missing Glow plug indicator - Bigdaveg
I know it's bit of a funny question, but would I be right when i say that very single diesel engined car should have a glow plug/pre-heat symbol on the dash ?.

I ask because although the car starts up perfectly fine, I cannot see any visible illumination of glow plug activity on the dash, looking in the central fuse box (behind the glove compartment), I cannot see a signal reference on the fuse and relay diagram for the glow plug, sadly the manual is'nt much use.

Not having a full spec of the car does'nt help, it's a Fusion 2 1.4 tdci with luxury pack 1 (whatever that is ?.)

so 2 questions;

1) surely one of the fuses in the central fuse box relates to the glow plug ?. or could it be the bulb behind the driver display ?.
2), where is the best place (preferably free and online) that i can see a spec sheet for the car ?.

03 1.4 Missing Glow plug indicator - tmmitzzie
I think you can get docs from etis.ford.com although I've never used it its wortrh a try.
03 1.4 Missing Glow plug indicator - WorkshopTech
Yes, these have glow plugs and also a fuel filter heater. They run off fuse F3 (60A fuse in the eng compartment).
PS there should be a glow plug lamp.

Edited by WorkshopTech on 24/01/2010 at 20:28

Hi Thanks for the reply, unless I'm wrong it looks like the glow plug light only comes on when it's very cold, just noticed the lack of a light on my Civic as well. Just goes to show how observant I am. Doh !!.
03 1.4 Missing Glow plug indicator - 547HEW
The Glowplug symbol should appear momentarily when you power up the instrument cluster, e.g. turn the ignition switch from postion 0 to position II. The cluster goes through a set up routine and dispays all the warning signals briefly, so you you can observe if any are missing.

If temperature is cold enough the glow symbol will stay illuminated until it is time to crank. I doubt it will stay on beyond the cluster lamp check at temperatures above 0 deg C.

The glow plug symbol is located in the upper left-hand quadrant of the tachometer dial.
03 1.4 Missing Glow plug indicator - redviper
Hi

I don?t know if this helps but on my partners 1.6 diesel Citroen C4 even in temps down to -7 that we have been experiencing ive never seen a glow plug light and its starts on the 1st turn of the key (more or less).

You can however If you listen carefully hear the something priming away when you open the drivers door

I asked a similar question when we got the C4 over a year ago, and I think it?s the norm for some modern cars not to have one and if it does they you wont see it unless its very very cold
Now I'm totally confused, some say it does'nt show, you say it should show ?.

It (glow plug signal) definetly does'nt show when putting the key in and turning.

Could this be a fuse problem or bulb behind dash), I can see the relay box (at rear of battery but not the engine fuse box).
The manual states this: IF THE GLOW PLUG INDICATOR LIGHT ILLUMINATES, WAIT UNTIL IT EXTINGUISHES BEFORE STARTING

"IF" tells me that it might or might not come on, surely regardless of ignition position.

Some people on the Ford Forum web site have indicated that the light does'nt come on until very cold (at least -4 or lower), although it is not said if this is when the key is turned in the ignition (start up checks).

Is there no one with a definitive answer, should I see a glow plug light when starting the car or not ?.
03 1.4 Missing Glow plug indicator - Altea Ego
If it starts ok, each time every time even when cold, dont worry about it.
03 1.4 Missing Glow plug indicator - redviper
Sorry i didnt mean to confuse

its just that im just trying to give you what i know based on my experiences

If I understand correctly Pre-heating starts on my partners C4 when you open the drivers door, so its ready on the turn of the key.

Only in VERY cold condtions it might not be ready so you might see a light on to indicate that its pre-heating but ive never seen it even down the -7 and below that we have been experiencing and the car starts on the 1st turn of the key in the year and a bit that we have had the car ive never seen the glowplug light ever!.

I would guess that as your manual states your Fusion will do a simaler thing but i cannot guarantee that ive have never driven or taken the time to study this car further but as it states there may be a light that comes on in VERY cold conditions as AE states is it starts fine then all is well.
The question; has been answered, thankfully we had a very cold nice last night and the car was frozen this morning and low and behold, the glow plug light was visible for a fraction of a second.

So for all you Ford mech's and drivers of 1.4tdci's out there; when the temp's at around zero & warmer you probably won't see the glow plug light even during the light check phase, you should however see it if the temp is below freezing.