Do we need more 4x4 commercial vehicles? - Sofa Spud
Would it be a sensible idea for companies who operate fleets vans and light trucks to include a few with 4-wheel drive. Vans seem to have been having particular trouble in these slippery conditions - whether they be rear-wheel drive or front-wheel drive.

4-wheel-drive versions of some vans are available - e.g. Ford Transit, VW T5 Transporter. Despite the extra purchase cost and running costs, having a few on the fleet could make all the difference in weather like we've had lately.

The same goes for larger goods vehicles - a 4x4 two-axle 18 tonner would be able to keep going where 4x2's are defeated. Again, there's a cost and a weight penalty when it's being used in normal weather, but that could be recouped if it can go out on 2 or 3 days when a normal vehicle can't.
Do we need more 4x4 commercial vehicles? - sandy56
I think we should have a strategic store of 4x4 vehicles for such poor conditions. We seem incapable of thinking ahead.
An emergency supply of 4x4 Trucks which could be used for gritting and snow plows,ambulances etc would be a good idea.
It is very unlikely we will get another winter like this for another 25 years BUT we are still likely to get snow falls in localised areas.
Surely the grownups can think ahead and spend some of the motorists taxes on something we actually need, instead of more quangos to look at the effects of weather on roars or other similar nonsense. Or are our MP's only good for filling in expense forms.
Do we need more 4x4 commercial vehicles? - nick1975
has this snow actually been that bad. has anyone had any real issues caused specifically by the snow. I have manged to go about my buisness no problem. A few matches called off but so what.

we love a drama in this country.

companies will do what their shareholder want and the cops have 4x4s a plently. so move along please nothing to see here.

MP are not just good at filling in expense forms they are also excellent at committing adultery

Edited by nick1975 on 14/01/2010 at 20:23

Do we need more 4x4 commercial vehicles? - b308
I think we should have a strategic store of 4x4 vehicles for such poor conditions.

No, no, no, no...

We get a few days really bad weather every year so why on earth do we need a fleet of vehicles purely for a few days weather?!

Tell you what, S56, if you are willing to pay the higher costs of goods and taxes to fund these extra vehicles (or extra cost of buying them over and above conventional ones) then please feel free... but I don't want them, don't think we need them, and damned if I'm paying extra taxes/purchase costs because someone thinks we need them, when we don't.
Do we need more 4x4 commercial vehicles? - gordonbennet
Not needed...for a fraction of the cost they could put winter tyres on.

Not going to happen though, my mobile tyre man struggled to get in and out of our road just before Christmas, said he'd been stuck everywhere..;)

It's the British way, be unprepared and make a pigs ear of the simplest task.
Do we need more 4x4 commercial vehicles? - kiss (keep it simple)
Companies will buy 4x4 commercials if it makes financial sense. I have seen short wheelbase oil tankers with 4WD. Perfect for delivering to that remote farmhouse. And 4WD minibuses serving the Alpine ski resorts.
Do we need more 4x4 commercial vehicles? - Altea Ego
I think we should stop panicking about an event that happens for 10 days every 30 years. There is no need to change any way we deal with winters, especially anything that would cost money.
Do we need more 4x4 commercial vehicles? - Sofa Spud
QUOTE:....""has this snow actually been that bad. has anyone had any real issues caused specifically by the snow. I have manged to go about my buisness no problem. A few matches called off but so what.""

We had 2 days here in Somerset where a lot of roads. even in town, were impossible to use - cars and lorries getting stuck. It's not the depth of snow, it's the fact that it was hard-packed by the first few vehicles that managed to get through, and it was on top of ice as well.

On the morning of the worst snow, cars could get up our road to begin with, but later, with the snow compacted, they couldn't.