Sat Nav Questions and Answers - Vol 12 - Dynamic Dave

In this thread you may ask any Sat Nav based question.

No Questions About PCs (Unless its about the Sat Nav Interface). Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No Speeding, speed cameras (Unless its linked to SatNav features)
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

This will hopefully give an easily searchable One Stop Shop for Sat Nav information.

This is Volume 12. It will not be deleted when it reaches a 100 posts, just locked and a new Volume started.

Previous Volumes are :- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2010 at 13:51

Sat Nav upgrades £106 - Falkirk Bairn
I got a Garmin as a Birthday present 2.5 yrs ago. Used it say 12 times - it sits in glove box to help in an emergency!

Maps out of date but upgrades were £60!! Few private users would probably pay £60 when newer models are only marginally dearer.

Latest mailing from Garmin offering lifetime upgrades for £106!!

Don't these people understand! To sell upgrades, say for 1 month, @ £10-£20 they could be overrun but punters

At £106 I will sadly decline.

Sat Nav upgrades £106 - Mick Snutz
blimey at that price I'd expect the maps to be hand drawn on parchment with illumintated letters by explorer monks!
Sat Nav upgrades £106 - Steve Pearce
Problem is, if you introduce a monthly charge, punters will expect monthly updates.
Sat Nav upgrades £106 - gmac
Are the maps the companies own work or are they a VAR who puts a wrapper around someone elses data to work on your machine ?

Edited by gmac on 14/01/2010 at 13:31

Sat Nav upgrades £106 - Falkirk Bairn
There are only 2 or 3 map sellers - Sat Nav makers just package them to run on their hardware.

Monthly charge was not what I meant - I meant an special offer, for say February only, upgrade for £10-£15.
Sat Nav upgrades £106 - gmac
There are only 2 or 3 map sellers - Sat Nav makers just package them
to run on their hardware.

Therefore, you are paying at least two lots of mark up
Sat Nav upgrades £106 - rtj70
The two major map-makers (Navteq and Tele Atlas) are owned by Nokia and TomTom aren't they.
Where to plug satnav when no cigarette lighters? - lordwoody
I have asked this before but didn't get a definitive answer-where do you plug in a sat nav if there's not lighter socket? I'm about to hire a Focus C-Max ( not sure if that has a lighter) and also am buying a new Polo (which definitely doesn't) Is there a socket equivalent to the lighter?

Edited by rtj70 on 14/01/2010 at 14:28

Where to plug satnav when no cigarette lighters? - gmac
Most car makers in all but the most basic models leave the lighter socket in and call it a power point with a plastic cover that says "12v socket" or similar.

Where to plug satnav when no cigarette lighters? - rtj70
This got answered. There is no cigarette lighter but the power socket (used for a cigarette lighter or other device) is there. So just plug the sat nav into what you would normally call a cigarette lighter socket.

Cigarette lighters are optional on most cars these days - often referred to as a smokers pack. The actual power socket is there.

The end of the standalone sat nav - OmNo
Nokia says it will give free sat-nav software to all current and new customers who use its smartphones.
Who needs a garmin now then ??

Edited by OmNo on 22/01/2010 at 18:38

The end of the standalone sat nav - gmac
The two appear to be at odds.

Trend for mobile phones has always been thinner and smaller, sat-navs is bigger screen.

A 4.3" screen mobile phone would be a brick. Not literally, but that would be a big, not necessarily fat, phone.

Edited by gmac on 22/01/2010 at 18:44

The end of the standalone sat nav - Big Bad Dave
A bit like combining your toilet with your wash basin, I like my SatNav huge and my phone small.

Plus I'd by driving blind for most of the journey while my wife uses up all my free minutes gassing away to her friends on my phone.
The end of the standalone sat nav - Avant
Imagine a driver peering at a sat-nav screen on a mobile. It would be practicable only if one's prepared to rely on verbal directions.
The end of the standalone sat nav - OmNo
That is a good point about the size - as you say the mobile phone business is all about getting smaller and we want any sat nav as big as possible. Interesting to see how the market responds though. I know Tom Tom are already partnering apple so they must be a little nervous.
The end of the standalone sat nav - rtj70
I think this is currently only newer phones for one. My Nokia e51 being an older phone would be excluded (I have BT GPS receiver).

But when I switched from a cumbersome PDA solution for satnav it was great but had negatives. Then I thought I can do this on my Nokia N70 (And could) but the screen was too small and the car kit mount too low.

So I got a TT720 and when used very pleased with it.

About to move this to the sat nav thread then :-)

Edited by rtj70 on 22/01/2010 at 18:58

The end of the standalone sat nav - Rattle
Its just spin, they said that about camera phones it would end the need for digital cameras. My digital camera is a trillion times better quality than any camera phone will ever manage.

It is the same with phones, do you really want to use your mobile as a sat nav? I did once in 2008 in London (I was walking) and it drained my battery after just a few hours. The second time I took my TomTom with me instead!
The end of the standalone sat nav - rtj70
Rattle's example is why for Mp3's etc I have an iPod touch instead of an iPhone. My phone can last for days without charge but listen to music, watch video or read books... same with sat nav.

Having said that I could reconsider using the iPod for sat nav. These are very interesting times though with the two major map producers being owned by TomTom (Tele Atlas) and Nokia (Navteq). But with Google entering the mapping market then this has stirred it all up and maybe Nokia/TT wouldn't have paid what they did....
GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - Durelli_tyres
Hi,

got a Garmin 1409T for Christmas and having problems with it. Garmin Support are either overwhelmed or don't have any answers so I thought I would try here.

1. Anyone know of Sat Nav forums where you can ask questions?

2. Anyone got a GARMIN, preferably 1409T, where it crashes every time it is used for calls via blue tooth to a mobile phone? about 30 seconds into the call, the Sat Nav just reboots.

3. There is an aerial in the power lead and a separate aerial. If the main aerial is for traffic updates anyone know what the 2nd aerial is for?

4. Anyone experienced issues where the Sat Nav, when approaching a junction wants you to get off the main road, up the slip road, across the roundabout and then down the slip to rejoin the road you just left?

Durelli
GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - Dipstick
Answer to number 1 is

www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk
GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - rtj70
Answer to number 1 is
www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk

And if you report a new camera first (need to be a member already though) you get free updates for 'life'. Saw some new ones on the way to Edinburgh today. Sadly the app I used to use to quickly record a new camera does not work on the TT units of recent years.
GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - Old Navy
>>Saw some new ones on the way to Edinburgh today. >>

Where are they, rtj?
There are roadworks on the M74 and some cameras are not on there. And in the dark you might miss them. If I knew precisely where they were I'd have registered them on pocketgpsworld.com.

But their application does not work on TomTom's.

So just don't speed in the meantime. It will be dark when I go back so won't record them then either.
GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - Old Navy
Thanks rtj, I won't be that far south for a while. Worth knowing about though.
They will no doubt be on PocketGPSWorld soon anyway. So if anyone uses that database then you'll be okay so to speak.
GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - maz64
4. Anyone experienced issues where the Sat Nav when approaching a junction wants you to
get off the main road up the slip road across the roundabout and then down
the slip to rejoin the road you just left?

Yes - a couple of places near me (Reading). There is a way to report map issues on the Garmin website, but IIRC it requires OS coordinates, and I didn't bother in the end.

EDIT: A404M?

Edited by Focus {P} on 25/01/2010 at 16:11

GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - Falkirk Bairn
Garmin - Perth to Dundee about 6 miles from Dundee. Tells you to come off main road and then rejoin it.
GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - dimdip
I'm guessing the model should read 1490T
GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - lordwoody
">> 4. Anyone experienced issues where the Sat Nav when approaching a junction wants you to
get off the main road up the slip road across the roundabout and then down
the slip to rejoin the road you just left?"

I've had this, also near Reading, otherwise my Garmin 255W has performed faultlessly.

GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - colinh
I think we've had this query before - at the A4 flyover near Maidenhead. I think the speed limits on the slip roads have been set too low so it appears that it is quicker to use the sliproads rather than go over the flyover. I think the error was reported to Garmin/NavTeq at the last report - hopefully will be corrected in the next update.
GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - maz64
It might well be something like that, although IIRC you are going along the 70mph dual carriageway (A404M) and it directs you onto the sliproad up to the A4 which crosses over it (then immediately back onto the A404M). Not sure of the logic there.

Edited by Focus {P} on 26/01/2010 at 11:34

GARMIN 1409T crashing and other issues. - Durelli_tyres
Well, Its the A404 for me.

I'm amazed, and relieved, that its just the one road.

Going north from M4 to M40 on the A404 the Garmin (it is a 1490T, sorry) wanted us on and off at th A4, but then wanted us off at each left turn (Hurley, Marlow bottom, Marlow etc).

And ont he way back, you get off the M40 wanting to go right towards Maidenhead, and the Garmin directs you left towards Aylesbury on the A4010 for some reason.

It doesn't fill you with confidence that there may be other 'odd' roads that seem to cause Garmin such confusion.

Durelli_Tyres
The "Thicket Roundabout" error - colinh
Just uploaded the latest Garmin map (2010.30) and they still haven't corrected the routing of the A404 (M) over the A4. Still takes you down the sliproads instead using the flyover. So much for submitting error reports!
TomTom Traffic info - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have a TT 720 for which I paid for a year's traffic service but then found my mobile wasn't compatible so money down the drain! Then I bought the receiver and aerial which plugs into the unit and is held round the edge of the windscreen on ruber suckers. The other day I collected the car from an airport car-park, where it had been for a week, and the traffic info tuned in within about 2 minutes. Today I set off on a journey thru every traffic problem in S/E UK and the thing didn't tune for 30 minutes. Does anyone have any idea why the tuning time seems to be so variable, please?
TomTom Traffic info - Old Navy
Does anyone have any idea
why the tuning time seems to be so variable please?

I think the TMC system only updates at irregular intervals and the reception can be patchy. I find that it can sometimes be helped by unplugging the receiver for a few seconds, this seems to set it searching for a signal again. Be careful if you leave the aerial "suction capped" to the windscreen with the car parked. There have been cases of the sun (if it ever shines) being magnified by the suction caps and burning a track across the dashboard as the sun moves. Or the earth moves around the sun, (for the pedants).

Edited by Old Navy on 01/02/2010 at 19:19

TomTom Traffic info - Altea Ego
Firstly the tomtom TMC receiver is a pile of poo, even the updated latest version. Its very insensitive and needs a good strong signal to tune. Sometimes it runs through the frequency band and stops tuning if it finds nothing, whereby you have to turn it on and off to kick back into retune.

The aerial does not work round the outside of the screen. It only really works properly when set to drop down the centre of the screen (from behind the rear view mirror) down to the base of the screen, and then a left or right turn to the sat nav. It needs to be an "L" and the down drop not near the A post.

When it does work, its brilliant, with auto reroutes.
Mine works OK with the aerial routed between the drivers seat and the Central tunnel. The latest version with the more sensitive receiver has a part number which ends in "013".

Edited by Old Navy on 01/02/2010 at 19:44

TomTom Traffic info - rtj70
Firstly the tomtom TMC receiver is a pile of poo

It was and a new improved one came out. I wonder why the OP has. They replaced some of these for free originally.

Did this get worse recently? It uses broadcast on Classic FM so could be a general signal issue, period.
even the improved one is a pile of poo. but less so.
You have my sympathy AE, mine works well. :-))))

Edited by Old Navy on 01/02/2010 at 20:11

have you been to Kings Lynn? I bet you it dont work there
I dont "work" anywhere, I live in central Scotland and am one of the leisure motorists that you "workers" complain about for cluttering up the roads. You also have my sympathy if you live in the middle of Norfolk. The only place I have poor reception is in the lake district.

Edited by Old Navy on 01/02/2010 at 20:33

I did not imply *you* worked ON, merely that the sat nav didnt. And Kings Lynn is not the middle of Norfolk. and no, I dont live there either.

Mind it rains less than Jockland.

And dont forget that I am ( at this time) also a leisure motorist.
OK I concede to a draw.:-)
I have had my Traffic Poo for about 2 years and, once tuned , it stays tuned;it held its signal thru the Hatfield tunnel this morning. It is useful to hear that it uses the Classic FM frequency as one can then tune that manually. I will give it a try and report back.
AS, you can't manually tune the TMC receiver. The receiver is the plastic "blob" in the aerial lead. To restart the tuning search, disconnect it for a few seconds.
Plus there isnt "one" classic FM frequency to tune into. They use variable ones round the country.
My 720 gives me the option of forcing tuning to a manually selected frequency, the problem is knowing which one to force it to! As someone has pointed out, Classic FM goes out within the range 100 to 101.5.
My 720 gives me the option of forcing tuning to a manually selected frequency >>

AS, I think you will find that the frequency you are referring to is the Tomtom transmitter frequency for playing MP3 type things through your car radio.

Edited by Old Navy on 08/02/2010 at 12:00

Satnav mounts - Felix
When I asked the other day about suggested routes to Slovenia for my hols, a few people suggested in iinvesting in a cheapo satnav. Seemed a good idea but being a satnav virgin myself, I've always been put off by the suction pad mark on the windscreen being an invitation to car thieves. Are there any DISCREET satnav mounts on the market that don't make it obvious that there's something worth breaking in for? I've never found one.
Satnav mounts - Old Navy
I have used an Arkon mount which is a weighted pad and sits on the dashboard and works well, it can be put under a seat or in the boot when not in use.

www.pocketgpsworld.com/arkon-gps-satnav-mounts-a20...p

Edited by Old Navy on 01/02/2010 at 20:52

Satnav mounts - oilrag
Felix, There is a mount that just sits on the dash for Garmin Nuvi`s. We have one for each car and they work well.
Very similar to ON`s - as above. Can be examined in Halfords.

Edited by oilrag on 01/02/2010 at 20:56

Satnav mounts - oilrag
tinyurl.com/yzkm2yh
Satnav mounts - Felix
Aha, yes I quite like the look of the friction mount. Might be a good option. Thanks!
Two sat nav screens in an old banger - Alanovich
I saw a very odd thing this morning.

A P-reg Fiesta, bog standard spec, solid red. Packed with people and gear, lumbering along a dual carriageway with two satnav screens stuck to the front window, next to eachother.

Why on earth does anyone need two satnav devices going at once? (Actually, why does anyone need even one when there are people in the car who can read a map? But that's another question entirely.)
Two sat nav screens in an old banger - Altea Ego
my wife cant read a map, let alone direct anyone. A sat nav was cheaper than a divorce
Two sat nav screens in an old banger - Dipstick
Having had three different sorts of satnav over the years, my experience has been that the Garmin live traffic reception is better than the Tom Tom (and the Sony).

As to the point about two satnavs, when I first got my Garmin and my partner had a TomTom, we shared a particular car journey and put both devices up just to compare the routing, speed of updates etc in the real world. So perhaps the Fiesta Alanovich mentioned was doing something similar.

Edited by Dipstick on 02/02/2010 at 09:47

Two sat nav screens in an old banger - Alanovich
Could be, Dipstick. Could be. Good thinking.
Two sat nav screens in an old banger - Dynamic Dave
Why on earth does anyone need two satnav devices going at once?

3D effect and stereo sound?
Two sat nav screens in an old banger - colinh
www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=175&page=9
Two sat nav screens in an old banger - Clanger
Why on earth does anyone need two satnav devices going at once?

As I found out when I investigated the possibility of hacking my old PDA to put a more modern version of Tomtom on it, there is a thriving and energetic community of folks who appear to do nothing else but play with GPS stuff. See gpsunderground.com for an example.

When no. 1 son came with us for a family visit, he bought along his own GPS that Santa had given him for comparison purposes.
Two sat nav screens in an old banger - colinh
Yeah! I understand there is also a community of folks who appear to do nothing else but play with car stuff.......oh!
Lidl Sat Nav - Felix
Hi,
Now you've given me a suggestion for a good mount, I'm wondering what cheap satnav to buy, mostly for my trans-europe jaunt this summer. Alanovitch mentioned something about Lidl having done satnav before but couldn't remember much about it. I'm wondering whether this would be a good bet, or better off with a cheap Garmin, which seem to be about the best ones in the £100 area. Main criteria is it must cover eastern europe (as far as Slovenia). Has anyone experience of a Lidl one, would it be much cheaper, and still reasonable?
Thanks
Tomtom - meaning of "Europe 22" - Clanger
Can anyone tell me what the description "Europe 22" or "Europe 31" refers to when looking at Tomtoms for sale ?

Thanks.
Tomtom - meaning of "Europe 22" - Old Navy
Just a guess, number of countries on the installed map?
C5 Satnav Harman-Becker. How to delete entries? - M.M
I have the new Citroen C5 Nav+ model with the integrated satnav. The SD card says it's a Harman/Becker system.

I can't find anywhere how to delete any address entries either in the menu or in the supplied instruction book. Anyone with the same or similar system know how to do this?

Surely they can't expect your travelled to locations and addresses to buld up into an ever increasing list to scroll through. Privacy/security implications too.

Edited by M.M on 08/02/2010 at 09:12

C5 Satnav Harman-Becker. How to delete entries? - Harmattan
On my Becker portable sat nav there is a cog-like symbol to the left of each address entry. Tapping on there opens a sub-menu including a delete option. If you don't have these symbols perhaps they are hidden and you need to "show all". I'll check the manual but the unit is 18 months old so has probably become outdated. Perhaps someone with a newer sat nav using Navteq software can help?
Full postcode search ? - dimdip
Looking at a Garmin 1340T review on Amazon which said the unit did not support full postcode search, only four digits. I downloaded the user manual but it didn't confirm this.

Is this true of many/most satnavs? If so, is it an issue in reality ? perhaps four digits gets into the right street/road but leaves you to find the particular address? Was the reviewer mistaken? Thanks for any clarification...
Full postcode search ? - rtj70
My old TomTom 720 has done full post code search since 2008 or thereabouts. But do you need full postcode ability?
Full postcode search ? - smokie
If you wre to ask me why I use SatNav I would respond to help me get from A to B rather than the local bit at the end, but in reality it is that local piece which is the most useful. I had a 4 character one is the past, and RTJ is absolutely right - they may be fantastic compared to nothing, they are nothing compared to full postcode. I can't imagine there are many about these days, and would suspect that this Garmin has full postcode and the review is wrong - not least because have quickly scanned 4 other reviews, no-one else mentions it, and it would be significant these days.

Edited by smokie on 09/02/2010 at 07:50

Full postcode search ? - M.M
I'm not a great fan of satnav for route finding and the integrated unit in my new car is the first I've had. That doesn't have full postcode search which is fine for me but if you were using it for daily location finding/routing, say for work, I'd only get one with a full postcode facility.

I tend to know the places I'm going the night before or sooner so print out the location on Multimap then go to the car and use the map search way of selecting a destination putting the crosshairs on the actual place.
Full postcode search ? - jc2
According to another published spec.,the 1340T offers FULL postcode search.Seeing as my simpler,cheaper Garmin 250 offers it,I'm not suprised it's on there.
Full postcode search ? - rtj70
But one should take care using a postcode if the destination is not a home/house. And sometimes postcodes are not in sat navs because they are too new.

Currently staying in a hotel near Edinburgh and the hotel's postcode is not in TomTom. Although I updated the maps the other week so maybe it is now. And there is a barrier needing a tag to get to my office and TomTom does not know so will tell me to go in that direction when I cannot get through.
Full postcode search ? - dimdip
TVM for the replies; looks like the reviewer was mistaken there, thanks for clarifying that and for the wider info too. I think the 1340T will fit the bill for me ? no bluetooth, but with lane assist, text to voice, speed limits + camera warnings, traffic rerouting, and EU mapping.
Full postcode search ? - jc2
But one should take care using a postcode if the destination is not a home/house.

People frequently ask for the postcode to visit where I work but I have to explain that that will only bring them to our front door-if they want the car-park,it's another three corners.

{moves to correct discussion in this thread}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/02/2010 at 09:45

Sat-navs face big errors as solar activity rises - maz64
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8494225.stm
Sat-navs face big errors as solar activity rises - TheOilBurner
I won't be finding this too much of a problem. I gave up on Sat Nav recently, as I felt increasingly like I didn't know where I was going 90% of the time. I don't like being so dependent on technology. It also seemed like I was paying less attention to my driving overall because I was waiting for the "next instruction" rather than thinking pro-actively about where I am and what I'm doing.

Looks like I was ahead of my time....
Can't search for Scottish postcodes - ikaya

Having spent 2 hours downloading updated maps for my Garmin Nuvi 1490T (and been told by the updater that the download would have maps for all of Europe) I tried to search for a postcode in Scotland. The response was 'no matches found'. The result was the same for the first 4 digits of the postcode and for 'Edinburgh'. Can anyone suggest a solution? I have emailed Garmin but no reply as yet.

Many thanks

Ikaya