98 1.6 Judder on letting clutch out, no slipping, - CraigP
Hi,

On our wee '98 golf 1.6 (engine code AKL), when you feed the clutch out for first gear the car judders a bit as you move off. The juddering stops when the clutch is fully engaged.

I can't detect any slippage: tried handbrake on, high gear = stalled engine; tried high gear at low roadspeed = heavily lugging engine.

I understand this car has a dual mass flywheel. Could this juddering be a failing flywheel? Even though the clutch seems fine.

No noises or vibrations in the clutch pedal with foot on the pedal, with pedal pressed half way, or with clutch pedal on the floor.

Only symptom i can find is juddering when moving off.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this!!

98 1.6 Judder on letting clutch out, no slipping, - the hunter
clutch judder,usually a sign on clutch plate slighty bend,nothn to worry about
98 1.6 Judder on letting clutch out, no slipping, - Peter.N.
I may be wrong but I wouldn't have thought a '98 car would have had a DMF. Could be oil on the clutch plate or just that the surface has got rough, although that only usually happens on diesels because you don't have to slip it much to pull away. Giving it a gentle 'work out' might improve it, sit on a hill slipping it for about 20 seconds, not violently though, you don't want to burn it out.
98 1.6 Judder on letting clutch out, no slipping, - CraigP
Cheers for the replies guys. Based on what you've said, I'll hang on to it till it falls off ;-)
98 1.6 Judder on letting clutch out, no slipping, - pmh3
If the later Golfs suffer from similar design to the engine mounting as used in Mk2s I would look into the possibility that the front mounting has possibly separated. Easily detected by opening bonnet, and get someone to watch the engine to see if it (the engine) moves excessively when letting up the clutch. I suggest that the watcher does not staand directly in front of the car in case your clutch control is somewhat clumsy.