FWD - why engine always on right? - movilogo
All the FWD cars I have seen, have their engines on right side of engine bay and gearbox on left side.

The layout doesn't change between LHD & RHD cars.

Does it not differ the dynamics of LHD & RHD cars?
FWD - why engine always on right? - bell boy
i assume its to do with crankshaft rotation
cant imagine dynamics is a problem but sometimes when obese guy is ordering his new blogmobile i reckon extra stiff driver springs on that sides suspension should be a factory option along with double anti submarine seat squab
FWD - why engine always on right? - Alby Back
There is a guy near here with a Focus ST170 thingy. He is fairly small and slightly built. Presumably he was some kind of boy racer in his youth as he has the driver's seat set really low so that he can barely see over the top of the wheel and affects that sort of crab claw grip on the steering combined with the odd lean to centre. Perhaps it's the weight of his baseball cap dragging him to one side or maybe he just has a boil on his right cheek, who knows.

Anyway, the chap's wife is physically his opposite in so far as she has Shrek like proportions and sadly bears a striking resemblance to the character other than not being green. When she gets in the car it actually does drop to the left and ride lower on that side. This has the effect of tilting him even further to the left. The whole effect is really very odd. High speed right handers must be like driving while leaning on a bouncy castle.
FWD - why engine always on right? - ifithelps
Some have the gearbox underneath - the original mini and many variations of that engine.

The 'front' of the engine in the CC3 - where the drivebelts are - is to the left.

Not sure of the exact orientation of the gearbox.
FWD - why engine always on right? - Altea Ego
why would you want the dynamics to change between a L/H or a R/H drive car?

They both go round the same number of L/H and R/H bends.
FWD - why engine always on right? - DP
Some Honda engines rotate anticlockwise, and as a result, the engines are located on the offside of the engine compartment.

www.jdm-motor-sports.com/images/car-images/brians-...g

FWD - why engine always on right? - 659FBE
There is a rotation standard for all engines dictating that they rotate clockwise at the free end of the crank. This is derived from the use of starting handles and hasn't changed - it is actually part of a British Standard.

The classic FWD layout allows direct coupling to the transmission (the best and cheapest way) and gives the lowest number of meshing gears consistent with the use of a final drive - which lowers the crank speed to the wheel speed in top gear by a factor of about 4:1.

Putting the transmission on the LHS also allows the shortest possible clutch cable for most (LHD) cars.

FIAT had this all worked out when they introduced the 128 - demonstrating how stupidly designed the Issigonis cars were (they also sorted out the suspension properly).

...how stupidly designed the Issigonis cars were...

Bit harsh - the layout worked well enough for, at guess, millions of motorists.

thats why BL bought in vw gearboxes then ifithelps ;-)
...thats why BL bought in vw gearboxes then ifithelps ;-...

That would have been many years after the Issigonis design appeared.

Just because something can be improved on, doesn't make the original rubbish.

The Issigonis engine/gearbox gave no significant problems and that combination did a lot of miles in the many cars to which it was fitted.

FWD - why engine always on right? - Lud
The reason for weak gearboxes in Austin-Morris and BL front drive transverse-engined cars was the compromise of having the box in the sump lubricated - inadequately - with engine oil. Issigonis wanted a proper arrangement, I suppose something like a modern fwd car, and he also wanted a more efficient engine than the old 3-bearing A series inherited from the Morris Minor. The bean counters upstairs made him design the familiar engine-gearbox lump as a stopgap, then stayed with it in blinkered fashion through thick and thin.

People sometimes think the problem with BL was the engineers. It wasn't, it was the suits. Them and the workers. Bad cess to the lot of them even if they are my compatriots.
FWD - why engine always on right? - Bromptonaut
Have a vague recollection a 1.4 petrol BX (with TU series engine) as a courttesy car and noting that motor was installed opposite way to my 1.9 XUD. But maybe my memory is playing tricks. It was over 20 years ago!!
maybe a french friday afternoon car Bromptonaut?
did it go faster backwards than forwards?
ala daf 33 with the big lassi band
FWD - why engine always on right? - bathtub tom
I'd always assumed it was because most countries are LHD and cars are mostly driven alone. The weight of the driver sort of balances the engine.

Old Pandas used to have a spacer under the front RH spring for the UK market.