Best way to get to Huddersfield from Nottingham - Focus_Driver
I need to get to Deighton (north hudderfield) and I've been given alternative routes. The AA and RAC websites say turn off at M1 J38 or J40 which seems the quickest route. But my Tomtom says go all the way up to the M62 and around and then turn off at J25 which seems a bit of a trek to me. But I've been advised to take this route because it is much quicker than taking the A roads and having to go through small towns and villages if I turn off at the M1. I was was very tempted to leave the M1 at j38 but now I'm not so sure. If travelling more miles up to the m62 means it is quicker or less stressful, I would prefer to do that.
Best way to get to Huddersfield from Nottingham - piston power
Stay on the m1 till you get to leeds and it branches onto the m621/m62 it's approx 3 miles from m621 to m62 this route is the one i use all the time i live in leeds.

It maybe a few more miles in distance but much easier to get through you will know your on the m621 you will pass leeds united football ground on your left hand side not far to huddersfield go there regular.
Best way to get to Huddersfield from Nottingham - Avant
Agreed: M1 /M62 is longer but faster. I've been to Ainley Top a few times: going as the crow flies is shorter but quite a bit slower, especially if you have to go through Huddersfield.
Best way to get to Huddersfield from Nottingham - Focus_Driver
Thanks, M62 it is. There have been times I have regretted using the "shorter route" only to find it actually takes longer to get there.
Best way to get to Huddersfield from Nottingham - Manatee
6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I come from Brighouse and have done this journey more times than I could remember.

With me it depends how I feel as I approach J38, but for Deighton the cross country route would get it most times. It's a pleasant enough wend through Flockton and if you go straight across the A642 at Grange Moor you'll find your way down to Bradley which is close to Deighton - no need to pass through Huddersfield.

It's over twice as far from J38 via the M1 & M62 - 27m v. 13m - but about the same time with a clear motorway.

The advice to use the M621 is mistaken as a glance at a map will tell you - that just makes it longer still.

If you use the M62 leave at J25, not 24.

Ainley Top is a different case - used to live about a mile from there as well - the M62 goes directly to it so no contest.

Edited by Manatee on 03/01/2010 at 16:23