Knocking suspension on Leon - NeilT
Hi,

Anyone with a Leon/Toledo/Golf/Octavia tec had knocking problems on the front. After 2 years 52,000 miles I am getting a louder and louder knock from the front........I suspect the under damped shocks are suffering from the stiff springs....

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
Knocking suspension on Leon - bernie
Neil,where did you get a 150 TDI Leon ?
It's accuall a TDi110 with an UPsolute chip (Austrian Company). It improves the mid range pull dramaticaly. Max power increase from 110 @ 4150rpm to 154 @ 3750rpm, and torque increased from 173lb/ft @ 1900rpm to 254 @ 1750rpm. I have done about 30,000 miles with the chip (since last December) and so far it's been trouble free.

I know of a few TDi's (Ibiza and Passat) that have done over 150,000 miles with these chips....and the best thing was it was only £265 fitted as UPsolute have standard pricing worldwide :-)
Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
Knocking suspension on Leon - Cyd
Yes, suspect the shocks. Knocking is a classic sign they are shot. 52k is a little short for reasonable life (80k would be more like it, though my Rover Vitesse Sports lasted 116k), but it does depend on the quality of the originals and the life they've led.

When I fited new ones to my Rover last month I considered Konis - but a chassis engineer at Land Rover told me to get originals. He poured scorn on most aftermarket jobs.
I have got a set of Koni adjustables from a fellow club member who took them off his Octavia RS as they were similar stiffness to the std ones, and he goes to Nurbergring in Germmany alot. The std RS ones are stiffer than mine, so it should make for a decent ride and good handling.

Although I asked the question on here, it is a known problem on Leons (as far a owners are concerned anyway) that the shocks are too soft for the springs on Cupra and SE models, and thus they wear out quicker due to the amount of work they do trying to keep the hard springs in line.

The new Leon CupraR has a Soft spring/hard shock setup, and it works very well.
Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
Knocking suspension on Leon - Tim
Neil,
Slightly off topic but have just been on the upsolute website and came across your query about the 'rumbling' at certain revs with the chip. Is this still happening? Also have you upgraded anything else on the car such as brakes etc to cope or are they good enough as they are?
I did have this rumbling (shudder) at low revs, they changed my mapping slightly and it has disapeared.

The Brakes are fine, and although mine are only the 280mm compared to the Cupra's 312mm, they are still very good. 280mm is avaerge for a family saloon car with 150bhp.

The suspension is std Cupra setup so no problems there.

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150