The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 6 - Mark (RLBS)
This is Volume 6 & is closed.

Please see Volume 7 for continued discussion.

Mark (RLBS)
Moderator at Work

mailto:mark_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
The Speed Camera Thread VI - bogush
Speed Camera Thread V - CM Tue 22 Oct 02 11:47

But going back to the original thread (Jun 10th) about over-
reading speed cameras, has anything been done about it and/or
do you have any information about it.

The problem with these particular cameras is known, and photographs of the vehicles affected are supposed to be manually filtered out.

In the reported case at least, this did not happen, but the driver knew he was in a traffic jam at the time of the alleged offense, and as he had a tachograph he could fully confim the fact.

The question is not what to do about a known fault with this particular camera.

The questions are:

1) Does "Speed Kill" (it does not - see lots of links and argument elswhere).

2) If it does, should it be a crime of strict liability (do 31 past a tin sign - I know they are aluminium - with the numbers 3 and 0, in that order, painted on it and you're automatically guilty with no defence.

3) If it should, should it be policed by cameras that cannot display any discretion.

4) If they should be used, should they also be used to police reduced, arbitrary and illegally signed speed limits specially and artificially lowered on improved fast straight roads, often on the only, or best overtaking stretch, where the sign is illogical, counter-intuitive, and at odds with the higher limit on the less safe stretch before and after, especially, when the sign is hidden or missing or removed to allow the road lighting to create a 30 limit (see the links re police admissions and BBC reports of up to 50,000 illegally prosecuted motorists in one county alone).

5) If they should be so used, should they be so used instead of siting speed cameras outside, say, schools (at opening and closing times only), and to totally replace traffic departments which can catch real dangerous drivers and real criminals.

Have you ever tried contacting people like Edmund King to see what he has to say about these issues?

I belong to the Association of British Drivers ( www.abd.org.uk - a wealth of useful information and cheap at twice the price - join up and be counted) which is in regular contact with various relevant organisations.

And they argue all these point out too, but behind closed doors, without feeding the opposition anti-motorist soundbites, or, worse, attacking motorists on their behalf.

What I am trying to do here is to contact the man in the street who visits a motoring website linked to a right of centre upmarket publication, who would, you would have thought, been for small government and less bureacracy and red tape, against restrictions for the sake of it, taxation without representation, anti-economic/anti-capitalist measures, etc, etc.

And, being from the technical end of a right of centre up market publication's readership, who you would have thought would have been able to see through technologically, scientifically, and economically illiterate propaganda with a social engineering agenda.

Instead, what do I get?

The facts prove that dropping speed limits is counter productive, and policing lowered limits with speed cameras more so.

Oooh, you nasty man: you want to kill my babies.

And probably eat them.

Yuk.

I'm not reading your rubbish.

But I'm going to make sure you know why.

And why I know it's rubbish.

Even though I'm not going to read it.

Good job I'm not contributing to a green or anti-motorist website!:-(
The Speed Camera Thread VI - tone
Transport 2000 at Hight court today to hide speed cameras and increase the death tolls.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2366697.stm

I think somebody should point out to Vicky Cann, the signs saying 'Thieves will be prosecuted' or 'trespassers will be prosecuted' etc.
The Speed Camera Thread VI - RichardW
I saw a yellow speed camera on the A69 on Saturday, but only when I was on my return journey travelling TOWARDS the camera, as it is immediately behind a large road sign!! And the point of making it yellow was.....??

Richard
The Speed Camera Thread VI - CM
aren't cameras only painted yellow if the polive force who operates them has opted into the scheme where by they keep the money generated from the fines?
The Speed Camera Thread VI - BrianW
There seem to be about three new cameras going up in each direction on the A12 in Essex, on the Brentwood bypass, east of the M25.
Sorry if a bit vague on numbers but only saw them in the dusk.
They are mostly just after bridges, not very visible, so keep you eyes skinned, particularly if you are not familiar with the area.
The Speed Camera Thread VI - Quinny
Try this.www.ukgatsos.co.uk I think you'll find it very interesting.
Tried that, but all their information and feedback links appear to be down at the moment.
The Speed Camera Thread VI - crazed
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2366697.stm
The Speed Camera Thread VI - The Watcher
There are at least 2 scameras positioned behind signs on the A69.

One, is as you come down the hill towards Greenhead near Haltwhistle and another just over the bridge at Haydon Bridge. Beware!
The Speed Camera Thread VI - dave18
I saw a yellow speed camera on the A69 on Saturday,
but only when I was on my return journey travelling TOWARDS
the camera, as it is immediately behind a large road sign!!
And the point of making it yellow was.....??

Oh its obvious. painting it yellow makes it highly visible and therefore sited perfectly reasonably.
Ms Cann said: "In no other area of criminal enforcement do criminals get warned they might be prosecuted, so why are speeding motorists any different?

Stupid cow. Drivers SLAM the brakes on when they see a camera last minute.
Transport 2000 at it again - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Just have a peep at their site, www.transport2000.org.uk

Led by Michael Palin, and dafter than Monty Python, this organisation is vying for the titles "Mother of all Busybodies" and "Fount of No Knowledge", 2002.

They're trying to get the Court to rule that David Blunkett can't paint those roadside boxes yellow.

Many contact addresses on the site, if anyone cares to have a little word in their ears.
Clearly, Michael Palin is more at home in the desert, on a camel.

Will someone persuade him to stay there?
Transport 2000 at it again - madf
Quote"Transport 2000's vision is of a country where traffic no longer dominates our lives, where many of our journeys can be made on foot, by cycle or using public transport and where you don't need a car to enjoy the countryside or city life"

In other words.. and in reality.. they plan a major restructuring of where 95% of the population live and work and (presumably ) plan we can all access the countryside by rail or coach..

No mention of aeroplanes (why not?)

Sounds Stalinist in its aims.. after all he and Chairman Mao were the last 2 leaders to plan and execute such a major change in the population's habits..

(I am being serious).
Transport 2000 at it again - The Watcher
Utter, utter imbeciles. I saw this on teletext today. They say councils should have the right to paint scameras any colour they want.

What they are REALLY saying is that scameras should blend in with the background so as to be difficlut to spot or, be planted behind signs etc.

These people are complete and utter loons and I make no apologies for saying so. They are morons. If you want to cut speeding, you make the deterent visible not invisible to the perp.

Anyway around ours, a group have targetted the newly install scameras lancashire constabulary (I believe they are called 'the filth' in the London area?) have installed and they have been spray painted including the glass lens :-)

The following is extracted from the Transport Minister's report to Parliament a couple of weeks ago :

"Police
and local authorities should decide where to locate cameras and whether they
should be visible. Their decisions should be informed by pilot projects to (1)
test whether S A F E T Y C A M E R A S should be overt or covert and (2) identify a
series of locations other than severe accident blackspots where the speed of
traffic needs to be reduced."

So, that'll be..... anywhere.....and everywhere...then.

MARK...WHY DOES THE FILTER OBJECT TO "S AFETY CA MERAS" ?

I'm not just easily confused, I'm b***** confused, and I make no apology for exercising the filter a second time.

Bark!

Transport 2000 at it again - Mark (RLBS)
>>MARK...WHY DOES THE FILTER OBJECT TO \"S AFETY CA MERAS\"

Basically because H. John esq. feels that it is obscene to call a speed camera by the name of a safety camera and so asked that that particular term was censored out like alll other offensive comments.

And now ask why it isn\'t censored when I type it ?

I can even type rude words, but I don\'t.
"because H. John esq. feels that it is obscene to call a speed camera by the name of a safet y camer a"

Grovelling apology, sir. Afraid I was suffering a mental blackout when I asked that question.

Please note.....it was copied from a government statement, not my words. I use one of the correct technical terms for these devices....scameras or taxcams.

I hear our worthy government is going to spend £1million a year employing spin doctors to convince us that snapboxes constitute A Good Thing.

Transport 2000 at it again - CM
I hear our worthy government is going to spend £1million a
year employing spin doctors to convince us that snapboxes constitute A
Good Thing.

I can well believe that as I have just heard a radio advert extolling the wonderous virtues of congestion charging. Unfortunatley I didn't catch much of it as I was coughing on my Rich Tea.
I heard on the news this morning, but haven't verified the figure, that speeding convictions about doubled in 2001, to around two million, with no effect on accident statistics.
The Speed Camera Thread VI - Toad, of Toad Hall.
The headline in the mail says an extra million convictions.

As long as this is matched by a doubling in the detection rate of ALL other crimes I don't see the problem.

--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
www.private-eye.co.uk/innews
The Speed Camera Thread VI - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

If there are two million convictions, isn't there something wrong with the law?
Depends on your viewpoint.

Viewpoint 1. Laws are there to be obeyed, regardless of how daft they are. If the law says walk round with you trousers round your ankles, do it.

Viewpoint 2. Laws are only enforceable with the consent of the public. A high proportion of the public disagree with and disobey certain laws (and two million people a year have put their money where their mouth is in respect of unrealistic speed limits and illegally sited cameras).
"Depends on your viewpoint.

Viewpoint 1. Laws are there to be obeyed, regardless of how daft they are. If the law says walk round with you trousers round your ankles, do it.

Viewpoint 2. Laws are only enforceable with the consent of the public. A high proportion of the public disagree with and disobey certain laws (and two million people a year have put their money where their mouth is in respect of unrealistic speed limits and illegally sited cameras)."

Quite. Never thought I'd say it, but I'm being sorely pushed into losing respect for law. I've always been case 1, but now ask myself how far I can be pushed before I start to examine the validity of all laws. Conversations confirm I'm not alone. Blind obedience holds civilisation together. If that's disappearing, where the hell are we going?
The Speed Camera Thread VI - Dwight Van Driver
PMT

I have always understood that when out Legislators get to work on a particular piece of law then they do so on the understanding that 85% of the public will obey (hence the percentile indicator for speed limits). If they think less than this will obey then it is unenforceable so does not reach the Statute Book. Despite what you think I believe that the majority obey limits and will continue to do so.

Remember the Poll Tax revolt. That legislation was first brought out in Scotland and seemed to be accepted. Brought south, the brown stuff hit the fan and it was abandoned. Serious miscalculation.

On my first para perhaps Pug Ugly will correct me.

DVD
Despite what you think I believe that the
majority obey limits and will continue to do so.

Ahhh. A chink in the DVD armour!

Usually yuo are right. On this you are wrong.

Almost nobody sticks to limits. The flow on any motorway you can name is always over 70. I often obey 30's and 40's and *always* find myself holding up traffic when I do.

Exceptions to this are exclusively due to traffic.

I'd have *thought* this could be measured on a national basis.
--
The Speed Camera Thread VI - Dwight Van Driver
Funny Toad but nobody overtook me in my jam sandwich.
Had to hide in gateways to get the odd one?

DVD
Funny Toad but nobody overtook me in my jam sandwich.

;-)

That is the classic no win situation for Rozzers. If people [1] see a Police car speeding it angers them because the evil plod is a hypocrit. If they see a police car doing the limit or lower, the evil plod is delibarately getting in the way and holding traffic up when he could whiz off into the distance and let traffic flow naturally...

Damned if you do, and damned if you...

[1] People like me.
--
>>If people
[1] see a Police car speeding it angers them because the
evil plod is a hypocrit. If they see a police car
doing the limit or lower, the evil plod is delibarately getting
in the way and holding traffic up when he could whiz
off into the distance and let traffic flow naturally...

Id rather see them speeding ie driving to the conditions not some pathetically low limit.
I was so furious about my 2 speeding fines because I DID 30 where it was 30 and not safe to go faster. I was caught each time where 30 was a quite ridiculous speed and would result in annoying the person behind me.
The most frustrating line people come out with is 'they are there for a reason' - definately a source of argument between myself and one housemate at uni.
M56, 630am. Was passed when doing 90 by several cars, took the risk and increased to 110. Of course, I was very, very bad for that because 71 is automatically dangerous and 110 on a straight, dry stretch where there wasn't a cloud in the sky is going to cause a horrendous accident.
The Speed Camera Thread VI - volvoman
I agree about some of the crazy speeding laws and enforcement but I'm not sure there's no more danger involved on a straight, dry road at 120 than 70.

I know what speed I'd prefer to be doing if I were to have say a blow out, shattered windscreen or something like that. I also know that if the bloke coming in the opposite direction were to suffer the same fate I'd prefer both of us to be driving at 70 than 120mph. Excessive speeding on public roads must be dangerous if only for the above reasons and if the argument is 'why is 70 mph safe and 71 not ? That same argument will apply to whatever limit is set.
Yeah I know; I was referring to a *very*straight stretch, in perfect visibility and practically traffic free. Obviously these conditions are ideal and very rare.
DVD
I go along with Toad on this.
Where I drive, and particularly in London, speed limits are universally exceeded when traffic conditions allow.
On the NSL (60) country roads which I use speeds are often kept down to around 50 by one or two slow drivers. Without them the speed goes up to between 60 and 65.
The Speed Camera Thread VI - GJD

"Blind obedience holds civilisation together."

What a terrifying thought. Always, always, ALWAYS question any rule imposed on you by the state or anyone else. If a reasoned justification, backed up with evidence, is not forthcoming then all you have is one group of people imposing its will on another. That's not civilisation - it's oppression.

The above does not, of course, hold true if you believe you are inferior to those imposing the rules. If that is the case then blind obedience is probably you're thing.
"with no effect on accident statistics."

That's not right, is it?

The 25 year falling trend in fatalities ended when taxcams were introduced. That's an effect, isn't it?

Of course, in government-speak, it's a coincidence.

Local speed camera still under wraps! - Andrew Hamilton
Our local speed camera in Colchester still has its orange cover protecting it but it now has a strong blue cord tied round it to stop cover blowing off in gales. Think all motorists should be protective of their local cameras - they are expensive to buy after all!
Local speed camera still under wraps! - BrianW
Absolutely
Especially the six new ones down the A12 Brentwood bypass (three each side)
Although they are partially protected by the bridges that they are next to !
Local speed camera still under wraps! - Dizzy {P}
I wonder who had the audacity to call those things "safety" cameras?!

As with those other abominations called "traffic calming schemes", I find that I am concentrating on the official hazard (camera and its road markings, or the humps and lumps in the road) rather than keeping alert for children running out from gateways etc. No safety benefit at all so far as I can see.

I say this as one who does not *normally* exceed speed limits, especially in urban areas. I did get caught back in about 1972 though - doing 42 mph as I entered a 30 mph limit (fined £5)!
Local speed camera still under wraps! - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
"I wonder who had the audacity to call those things "safety" cameras?!"

Official government spin, to make us love them.

That didn't work, so they're spending £1million a year to employ spinners to condition our brains.

Someone on another forum says his local councillor goes blue when he hears someone call them speed cameras. He goes purple when tax is mentioned.........

Local speed camera still under wraps! - GJD
I think the powers that be are quite careful with their cameras. Lots of them are behind signs and trees and lamp posts which protects them from the elements.
Local speed camera still under wraps! - Dave_TD
Someone's been planting Truvelo seeds all along the A6 between Bedford and Luton, 8 (eight!!!) of them have sprung up in the last 5 days. Must be all this rain...
Local speed camera still under wraps! - Dwight Van Driver
So Dave, if anyone gets a summons it will be for exspeeding the seed limit?

DVD
Local speed camera still under wraps! - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

Ouch......people have been shot for better than that........
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - Andrew Hamilton
On Anglia TV news I saw pitiful sight of speed camera shot at close range several times. How are the authorities going to make a profit if this sort of thing goes on.

Speed camera blasted with a gun
Nov 8, 2002, 18:06 GMT

A roadside speed camera has been blasted with a gun at Framingham Earl near Norwich.

The attack, near the local high school, smashed the glass and left several dents in the case, which could cost thousands of pounds to repair.

Police say firing a gun in a public place is always treated as a serious offence.
© AngliaTV.com News

PS Our local speed camera is still protected from this wet weather by orange cover. Nice to think someone cares about this decorative street furniture!
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - The Watcher
I know someone who always gobs on the scamera everytime he runs past it!
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Remember that video clip of two lads in Switzerland?

They discovered that, if they took one metal dustbin lid, attached a length of rope, then spun it round and round in front of the Gatso, it triggered the camera on every pass.

They exhausted the film in no time. Nice one.
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - Tom Shaw
On a visit back to London the other week, I noticed some of the cameras in Dagenham had a white cross sprayed crudely on the back. I wondered as to the point of this, but then found that the same cameras had also been sprayed on the lens. Presumably the cross was to inform the locals no need to slow, they were safe!
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - madf
Someone torched one in peaceful Congleton in Cheshire..
madf
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - SteveH42
In some ways I can see why they are becoming so hated that people are driven to going to these lengths. More and more seem to be sprouting, yet they usually appear on open roads where there is little danger from going slightly over the limit, while areas that could do with them are left clear for reckless speeders...
Had to drive approximately 18 miles to an appointment on the other side of town yesterday. What a nightmare! Everyone was crawling along at 25 mph. All it did was cause a lot of frustration amongst the drivers.

Some stretches of perfectly safe 40mph roads have now been reduced to 30mph. One stretch of road 800 metres from the M55 motorway 'on' sliproad, now has TWO scameras on the same side of the road within 300 metres of each other! There is another approximately 700 metres before the first of these two! That's 3 scameras within 1000 metres!!!!! WTF is that about?

Despite what all the nerds say about it being easy to stick to the speed limit, I found it incredibly difficult unless I was staring at the speedo all the time. Despite glancing at the speedo and seeing my speed at 30mph and without deliberately trying to speed up, when I looked at the speedo again within 30 seconds, I was now doing 35mph and liable to get flashed!
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - Armitage Shanks{P}
Try asking your authority to tell you:-

a. How many fatal accidents there were in their area in 2001

b. How many of these accident sites now have s************S located there.

I suggest that the answer will lead you to deduce that
(S)cameras are another way of raising money and have nothing to do with safety or accident prevention.

Near where I live there is a 60 mph linited ordinary road which changes into a dual carriageway with a 40 mph limit and cameras! You couldn't make it up!
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - teabelly
Would it not be more interesting to put a picture of the empty road in front of the camera so everytime it took a picture the road was always clear? It would be quite difficult to get the correct picture of the road so the checkers didn't notice. Or you could pull their legs by having tortoises appear to have set them off.....
teabelly
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - MGspannerman
My brother lives in germany and tells me that the local sport there involves getting an aerosol can of expanding builders foam and inserting the plastic tube into an appropriate orifice and then squeezing the trigger. Of course this is reprehensible behaviour and I cant even think of the consequences if that were tried over here.

MGs
"I cant even think of the consequences if that were tried over here."

It has been. Seen photos, but can't remember where. It oozes out of every joint as it expands and sets. Shame, really.

More photos of unfortunate events at
www.tuftufclub.com/english/index.htm

Teabelly. I had the exact same idea! Take a pic of the road and fix it to the scamera lens so that when it goes off, all they see is the picture of the clear road!

Mind I like the expanding foam idea far better!
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - Toad, of Toad Hall.
The police's vendetta aginst my Toad's family continues. An elderly relative (a vicar) got camera'd at 39 in a deserted out of town 30 a couple of weeks back.

I've always believed the rozzers were working for the evil red guy!!! ;-)

--
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - Steve G
The Times recently did a piece on the Motorists Against Detection (MAD) group.They have organised 'Raids' on Speed cameras which are synchronised by text messaging thier hit squads.
Top Gear magazine also did a article on a similar group in Holland.
Its hard to think of any other kind of enforcement device which causes normal law abiding citizens to take drastic action.
If i was Ian Duncan Smith i would be annoucing a tory party policy to remove all speed cameras which are not sited by schools or blackspots. He would probably win the next election on that alone ;-)

"Top Gear magazine also did a article on a similar group in Holland."

Those are the people whose website I mentioned earlier, see

www.tuftufclub.com/english/index.htm
Given that our police actually forced a UK citizen to take down this web site about traffic wardens in his area, you wonder what action they'd take against a UK website like tufttuf club here!

Makes you wonder doesn't it?
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - Tom Shaw
A relative of yours a vicar, Toad? Never mind, every family has it's black sheep.
"A relative of yours a vicar, Toad? Never mind, every family has it's black sheep."

Obviously an LFV, though, so must be Ok

Shocking news on speed camera damage! - Dwight Van Driver
I cannot let you get away with that Toad.
Hamspstead Heath at 0500. Name your second and I will choose the weapon.
Not a Plod in sight, ( all having tea and biccies somewhere) and your relative, well aware of limits, goes and gets his picture taken? Self regulation I would say and burgher all to do with Plod. Is he a Lemming?

DVD
"burgher all to do with Plod"

Hang on a minute, DVD.

As I understand it, we're lumbered with taxcams through the crusade and obsession of Richard Brunstrom.

Richard Brunstrom is a Chief Plod.

Therefore, very much to do with Plod.
Shocking news on speed camera damage! - Dwight Van Driver
PMT

It wasn't Plod's foot on the gas pedal or sat with a gun to the driver's head.

If you don't agree then lets do away with all traffic lights, road signs and markings etc etc etc. In Fact lets go back to jousting.

DVD
Speed Camera prog on BBC2 - Flat in Fifth
If you are in the Midlands area there is a discussion programme on BBC 2 Sunday 10th November 1pm.

www.bbc.co.uk/england/viewpointmidlands/

they want and need your input so get phoning and emailing whichever side you are on.

I assume this thread will be deleted after Sunday, no need to add it to the S.C.T. vol VI.
Speed Camera prog on BBC2 - Cyd
Thanks FiF. I'll be typing away tomorrow.
Speed Camera prog on BBC2 - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Do it now, then do it again tomorrow.
Speed Camera prog on BBC2 - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
"so get phoning and emailing whichever side you are on"

Eh? what? You mean there are people here from the other side?
Useless police! - The Watcher
Yet more evidence of how useless our police and traffic police in particular are becoming by the day.

Yesterday, I spotted plod parked up in his galaxy with the tailgate up and snapping motorists with his mobile camera within 250 metres of a static scamera. (This apparently is lancashire constabulary's idea of 'targetting' drivers who slow down just for the static scamera.)

However, 400 metres down the road and clearly within site of gormless plod, were two cars for sale by the side of the road. What's wrong with that you may say? Well, the two cars for sale (obviously put there by a trader because it has become a regular sight.) were double parked and causing traffic congestion!

No doubt marcus and his ilk will see this an another 'attack' on the police. Myself, I see it more of an attack on motorist rather than the imbecile who double parked two cars on the road. Incidentally, I checked both 'for sale' cars later that day and neither had a parking ticket on them. Typical.
Useless police! - madf
hmm 2 cases in local paper of people fined for no car tax. Police are working here.
Blame Chief Constables and write to them. Saying it here will achieve nothing.
madf
The point is, will the coppers who used the mobile camera then take action against double parked cars causing an obstruction and potentially creating an accident site? Answer, no.

He'll pack his camera up and go elsewhere. I thought traffic police dealt with traffic issues wherever they are not become a one issue division.
Useless police! - Pugugly {P}
I must live in a different country. Recently an in an external audit of our Coimpany's workload we found that traffic cases had
tripled in the last five years (split between guilty and not guilty is around 75% to 25 % - that ratio has remained unchanged).

There has been a notable increase in fixed penalty offences (in all classes) over the last twelve months, but the "Motoring" portfolio is still full of bad driving/drink driving/document offences with a clutch of VED offences. I accept that an increasing proportion is down to speed camera offneces but we still process. Watcher is more then welcome to pop along to a typical day's court work to see for himself.
Useless police! - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

"we found that traffic cases had
tripled in the last five years"

Maybe a different county, not country.

Didn't I read that Nottinghamshire police has disbanded its traffic division because taxcams have solved the problem?
Except they have at least 2 police motorcyclists who's sole duty is to go around nicking drivers who the finger or flick 'v's at the scameras!

Now that's what I call incredible!
Useless police! - blowpipe
Except they have at least 2 police motorcyclists who's sole duty
is to go around nicking drivers who the finger or flick
'v's at the scameras!
Now that's what I call incredible!

Sole duty? Where's your source on that one? If it's true, it is incredible.
Useless police! - Phil I
"Yesterday, I spotted plod parked up in his galaxy with the tailgate up and snapping motorists with his mobile camera within 250 metres of a static scamera"

I think this may possibly have been one of the new Stingray Cameras with radio link to DVLA computer which traffic are now starting to use in most areas. You should have stopped and enquired from the officer. I'm sure he would have been happy to keep you informed.

Happy Motoring Phil I
Useless police! - PLS
Are you sure the officers were police and not civilian police employees in uniform? If civilian they may not have any authority to deal with cars obstructing the road and would have to call for a traffic warden or constable to attend. As a member of the public you could do the same if you are outraged by some breaking of the law.

Please do not let a micro experience become a macro opinion.
The bit about the 2 motorcycle cops was reported on the radio.

As regards the police galaxy with a mobile scamera Lancashire Constabulary (my 'local' force) have publically announced in the local press and radio, that mobile scameras will be positioned within a 500 metre radius of fixed sites to catch drivers who only slow down for the fixed scamera.

Unless other officials are using ford galaxy's with 'Lancashire Constabulary Police' insignia plastered over them, my guess is they are police officers.
Useless police! - Dwight Van Driver
Watcher

Could be that said SC has been decommissioned by fair means or fowl and Plod directed to cover an accident spot whilst strapped LA look at the books to see where the cost of repair is to come from. Correct position, in my book, to catch those who put themselves in double jeopardy. Had they stood at the SC then you would have had apoplexy.

Re parked vehicles. You will be aware or should be from this site that HMG is moving parking matters from said Plod to LA to administer and enforce see RTA 1991. However they could take action if approached . Now if this upset you that much why didn't you make a complaint as a concerned citizen. Plod would have been more than delighted to have a statement of complaint from a civvy as it would negate claims of persecution when taken to court. The Mags also would have been highly delighted to deal with it. I gather when you returned your passage was not impeeded by crashed cars and debris so the obstruction was minimal

Now from this site and your posts I gather also you are connected with the Motor trade and I note that it is a calling from what others here have mentioned consists of a lot of downright crooks, thieves, manipulators and thoroughly dishonest people too keen to extract a wedge from innocent Joe Public.
(HJ and a certain Landrover Dave definately not included)

As to Lancashire Constab - a great Force, the first to employ courtesy traffic cops to warn and advise and not to prosecute, the first Force to have to Police a Motorway, the first I believe to have a female Chief Constable and a Force which had one of the finest Home Office Approved Driving School through whose doors this gormless Plod passed not one, twice but three times.(Standard B, AD cars, AD Motor cycles)
"strapped LA look at the books to see where the cost of repair is to come from"

You are joking, of course? Maintenance comes from the camera tax swag, doesn't it?

"Lancashire Constab - a great Force, the first Force to have to Police a Motorway"

When did they move the M1 from Lancs? Am I missing something?

"the first I believe to have a female Chief Constable"
What, all of them? She must have been exhausted.

Another achievement of women in high places....Barbara Castle , mother of the blanket speed limit, the successful remedy for motorway fog crashes.
Useless police! - Dave_TD
"Lancashire Constab - a great Force, the first Force to have
to Police a Motorway"
When did they move the M1 from Lancs? Am I missing
something?

M6 Preston bypass opened 5 Dec 1958
M1 London-Birmingham opened 22 Nov 1959
All right, Dave, I'll give you that one.

Still think Barbara Castle should have been trussed up.

Bark........
Lancs Constab Driving School - Slice
DVD,

I seem to remember reading not too long ago about a vintage Bentley or somesuch which was owned by the above and used in training on the basis that "if they can drive the worlds fastest lorry safely they can drive anything".

Any truth in that or am I suffering from False Memory Syndrome again?
Traffic News...Speeds Cameras R Here - Macker
I think the message has got through to plod ... at least in the West. A very helpful and positive site...at last.

www.safetycameras-wiltshire-swindon.co.uk

Traffic News...Speeds Cameras R Here - TrevorP
Interesting view - has the message got through to the

"I drive at reasonable speeds - what is this speed camera nonsense?"

brigade.
Traffic News...Speeds Cameras R Here - The Watcher
Compare the swindo one above with that of Lancashire Partnership!

www.safe2travel.co.uk/trafficcameras.html

The lancs one just spews out the old filth (!) about scameras. I have mailed LPfRS the url for Swindo and await their response. However, given the response to letters in the local press about scameras, Im not anticipating any favourable comments.
Traffic News...Speeds Cameras R Here - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
"I have mailed LPfRS the url for Swindo and await their response. However, given the response to letters in the local press about scameras, Im not anticipating any favourable comments."

Ooo, hoo, hoo......forget favourable comments, just wait for the knock............
Traffic News...Speeds Cameras R Here - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
"I think the message has got through to plod ... at least in the West. A very helpful and positive site...at last."

I like the taxcam map, click-on-taxcam-see-the-site. Why did that ice cream van jump the red? Fridge bust m'lud, had to dash back.........

Other parts of the site aren't the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, though. Try these.......

"news news news... Last year more than 3,500 people were killed or injured on Wiltshire's Roads, one third due to excessive speed!"

The Big Lie again. 7% is not one third.

"Tackling the issue of excess speed is only part of the problem."

Insert "a very small" between "only" and "part"

"Fatigue, lack of attention, poor driving conditions, adverse weather conditions and failure to wear seat belts all play their part in keeping annual casualty figures at an unacceptably high level and a wide range of agencies are working to address those issues."

Absolute truth at last. But, where does this "wide range of agencies" live? They must be working under cover, I never see them.

"The Human rights act does not affect you when returning this paperwork. Primary legislation dictates that you are obliged to provide the information requested if you are able to. Failure to do so will result in prosecution."

It would have been truthful to tell everyone that this is subject to a current application to the European Court of Human Rights.

"2. The vehicle was not driven by me. What do I do next? You must complete Part 2 of the form giving details of the person driving the vehicle at the relevant time. If the driver was an employee, as a responsible emploter, you have a duty to identify the driver of the vehicle in question. Your company car log (or similar) may assist you in this. Failure to provide this information may result in your company being prosecuted."

Why not tell the whole truth and say that inability to identify IS a valid defence. Bullyboy threats.

Not good enough, wiltshire-swindon. Must try harder.
Lancs Constab Driving School - Dwight Van Driver
Slice

Things like that you do not forget. I drove that Bentley, wonderful but the brakes????
Also the grey vintage Lagonda that was on the School - end of Course treats.

Mind you I look back and the working cars are now relics
Ford Zephyr, Humber Hawk, Vauxhall Cresta, 3.8 Jag, Citreon ??
Happy days

DVD
Useless police! - Bromptonaut
Per DVD
Re parked vehicles. You will be aware or should be
from this site that HMG is moving parking matters from said
Plod to LA to administer and enforce see RTA 1991.

Suspect it is only enforcement of restrictions such as yellow lines, meters/P+D, time limited bays etc that is decriminalised. The LA attendants must call plod if confronted with obstruction etc. Trunk roads may also be excluded from the area coverd by LA enforcement.
The Speed Camera Thread VI - Dave_TD
Saw a new and underhand way of disguising scameras tonight.
On my way along the A120 to Colchester, driving through Marks Tey I knew there was a Gatso coming up on the nearside, although as it was dark and raining I was actually travelling at the 40mph limit! As i went past the camera it appeared to have an orange tarpaulin wrapped around the top and secured with blue rope. "Fine", thinks I, "it must have been obliterated recently, this is the replacement unit which has been installed but not yet commissioned." The two new scameras on the A1 between Biggleswade and Sandy wear the same outfit, after all...
BUT on my return journey, it was clear that the orange tarpaulin only covered the back, top and sides of the scamera, leaving the face with the lenses exposed! And presumably, working.
Just as well I considered that more than 40mph would have been excessive for the time, weather and conditions, if it had been clear and dry tonight I would probably be nursing 3 points by now.
I always had a feeling that small, twisted people live inside these infernal yellow boxes.

Maybe they've complained about rain leaking in?
If you get as far a London, in Ferry Lane, Tottenham, not one, not two, but THREE scameras are going up in a 600 yard or so stretch, two one way and one the other.

Now, Ferry Lane has a walled in railway line on one side and a reservoir on the other. Effectively a roofless tunnel.

A wide road (over 40 feet) with two lanes each way (one a bus lane in one direction.

And a 30 mph limit.

The only accident I have seen along there was when a milk float tried to turn right through slow-moving traffic and got T-boned by a London cab going down the bus lane.

Because it is so obviously low risk, when it is clear most traffic goes down it at well over 40 mph.

An ideal money-spinner!
And so they keep breeding.

My lads in blue are now in the netting-off scheme and a new taxCam has gone up near home.

I've been driving here for 40 years. Yes, there have been serious crashes nearby, but no fatals have been attributed to excessive speed. I know of one that looked convincing enough, but the coroner ruled that speed was not a factor.

So, the rules are being ignored and someone told porkies in the application for the taxCam.

This camera is close to a rural cross roads, 60 limit, many accidents, but all because of careless turning at the cross roads, not speed.
The Speed Camera Thread VI - Mark (RLBS)
Pulling the threads together