The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Jcoventry
I wonder if the new Ka is galvanised or not - wouldn't surprise me if Ford cut corners again. I'm pretty sure the Fiat 500 is definitely galvanised. When I had a blue '09 Ka Mk2 as a courtesy car for a few days, I noticed how rubbish the paint job is compared to my '08 Ka Mk1. On the new Ka, they basically don't paint where you don't see.

Here's an example:
www.myka.org/e107_files/public/1238674528_167_FT23...g
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Victorbox
I noticed how rubbish the paint job is compared to my '08 Ka Mk1. On the
new Ka they basically don't paint where you don't see.

Crumbs, that's worrying as the old Ka must be the worst rustproofed car of the last decade!
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - gordonbennet
they basically don't paint where you don't see.

Thats been the case for many years now with numerous makes.
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - madf
Ford paintwork is cost cut to the bone..

(and not particularly durable).

I have to say my experience of Toyota paintwork (Yaris) is far superior to the Fiesta I had before.

The Fiesta had peeling underseal and chipped paint on the sills after 2 years.. The Yaris in now 6 and the paintwork - apart from stone chips is perfect. And the stone chips do not rust as the metal underneath is galvanised.

The Yaris shell is almost 100% galvanised: there was a picture of a body in white purchased as a project and left outside for 2 years - there was minimal rust.

The Fiesta? no galvanising except key body box sections at the front..Sills were certainly mild steel. as were wings and doors...

Edited by madf on 24/12/2009 at 11:56

The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Pugugly
New Ka is built on the same line as the 500 - it will be galvanized.
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - cheddar
Fiestas have been galvanised for years.

The new car is as PU says built alongside the 500, both are undoubtedly galvanised.
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - WorkshopTech
Ford paintwork is pretty bad. They dont usually put topcoat where the customer doesnt see. The ka is dreadful and I have MoT'd three year old ones with rot in the box sections under the centre of the car. Fiestas are poor too, but at least they make an effort to rust proof.
I remember couple of years ago one of the lads pressure washing under a ka we were selling. It was red coloured and when he drove it away from the wash-house there were lots of flakes of red paint left around the drain! We dont pressure wash underneath them any more, it blows the paint off!
Im sure Ford know how to paint cars, they just cut costs right to the bone, but when you are selling most of your cars to fleets at 40% below list then thats what you have to do.
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - WorkshopTech
Fiestas have been galvanised for years.

Bits and pieces are galvanised, but a lot of the body isnt. we seen some with rot at base of the B-post bad enough to fail MoT at 5 years. Hopefully they will make more of an effort with the new models.
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - gordonbennet
fail MoT at 5 years.
Hopefully they will make more of an effort with the new models.

The whole point is they don't need to why should they, the vast majority of car buyers will purchase because they like the look of the car, makers know very well that within 3 years they'll facelift the thing, so that makes a huge number change again, within a further 4 years there' will be a new model, Ford do know how to make fashionable car, and thats what counts these days.
The owners then see the lovely sporty looking new model and the cycle starts again.

On forums such as this there's probably a small number of drivers who think hard about the long term prospects of a purchase, but they are in such a tiny minority of the car owning public as to be non existant, and any that voice concerns are met with replies telling them that their thoughts are idiotic and from years gone by and are luddites as cars don't rust any more and never break down.

I don't suppose rust really matters any more, cghances of these latest cars being economically repairable before the tin worm eats them away will be slim.

This problem with the cursor not working on the right hand side of the page isn't going away.
Makes editing typos a non starter...thats my excuse anyway.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/12/2009 at 13:02

>> Fiestas have been galvanised for years.
>>
Bits and pieces are galvanised but a lot of the body isnt. >>

They have been galvanised since (I have lost track of the Mks) the square shaped version around '02 on.

The previous model Ka wasnt though there are many mid late 90's Kas (and Fiestas) going strong.

Late '90s Polos seem to rot where as our '98 Clio is corrosion free.

Victorbox - well, the old Ka wasn't rustproofed at all. Going to get mine done soon though.

As for the new one, I don't think galvanising matters a whole lot when they can't even be bothered to do a proper paint job on it.

I haven't actually seen any Fiesta Mk 6 cars with surface rust - thought they were one of the better cheap Fords for the bodywork.

Edited by Jcoventry on 24/12/2009 at 13:30

The new Ka - is it galvanised? - jc2
I used to own a galvanized Fiat(not a 500);body was excellent except for one patch on the underside at the back but far enough from chassis rails not to fail MOT but the doors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - CGNorwich
"As for the new one, I don't think galvanising matters a whole lot when they can't even be bothered to do a proper paint job on it."

If properly galvanised the paint job is simply cosmetic.
CGNorwich - There are many galvanised cars out there, some of them very expensive, and there are still cases of them rusting quite bad. I don't go along with this belief that galvanising is the ultimate in protecting the steel from corrosion. Indeed, as far back as the Ford Zephyr, they were doing galvanising - but those still rusted really badly after just a few years!
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - bell boy
after hearing reports that they leak in in the back just like the latest fiesta then maybe they need galving?
As for the OPs pic, that is how I would expect it, the metal work is well protected by a few coats of paint, the top colour coat is only cosmetic, particularly with today's water based paints.

The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Rattle
This paintwork issue is why I changed from Ford to GM. My car is ten years old and much of the paintwork is as good as new. The brakes pipes are all as new too. When I was looking atFocuses as I staggered how many rusty 8 yea olds they were.
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Graham567
The picture in the first thread is completely unacceptable.If i had bought a car and under the bonnet was like that then i would be taking it straight back.
My Vauxhall is fully painted everywhere and if its like my previous Vauxhalls then it won't rust even after 10 years.

Ford cars are absolute rubbish in the quality department and yet they keep increasing the list price.Who are they trying to kid.
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Oilyman
I can't see the problem. My old BMW E46 - 2003 (03) wasn't painted (topcoat) in areas that you wouldn't normally see - Underside of boot lid, under the boot mats etc.

Wht bother painting something that no-one normally sees?
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - SpamCan61 {P}
Wht bother painting something that no-one normally sees?

Because it looks cheap, shoddy and symptomatic of the ultimate in penny pinching?
IIRC no Mercedes 190 had any paint on the underneath of the boot lid...

The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Mr.Tee43
Well, I am glad to see that my 2004 VW Bora has paint inside the engine compartment as good as that on the outside.

How does that saying go,

Quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotton.

"Quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten."

That is what SWMBO says ...:-)

Edited by madf on 25/12/2009 at 19:35

The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Sofa Spud
Fiats galavanised? I thought they used a special patented salt treatment!!!
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Cliff Pope
If you buy a new LandRover chassis, it can be properly galvanised, ie dipped in a tank of molten zinc.
I don't think cars described as "galvanised" have this treatment - doesn't it just mean electroplated with a tiny film of zinc?
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - bbroomlea{P}
My 8 year old galvanised Audi is rusting around the front arches - infact with all of this extra salt it has taken a turn for the worst and the paint is falling off.

This is on a car I know from new and know its not been repaired - so I am not convinced that galvanising is the answer to rust.

My mate has a 57 plate Ford Focus that has rust in both front arches as well - apparently a common problem. Ford are not being very helpful with him at the minute but I suspect he will get it repaired under warranty
Wow that does sound bad, rust on a 57 plate Focus. My dad's Mk1 Focus is pretty much rust free - just a tiny little bit on the bottom of the passenger side door which he has touched up.
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - s.v.u.
incorrect.
Sorry, what is incorrect? ...
The new Ka - is it galvanised? - Victorbox
On closer inspection they appear not to have bothered with seam sealer on a lot of the joints as well. Just think how much crud the engine bay will accumulate over time. Even my daughter's 10 year old Corsa B is fully painted in the exposed engine bay!!

Edited by Victorbox on 26/12/2009 at 09:36