Hire car disputed damage - please help! - dani4u
Hi there, I wonder if you could help me. I am in similar situation where hire company says that the car was returned damaged when actually it was not. I have written a letter to dispute it but they are insistent that I have to pay the money. They claim that there were some new scratches on the front alloys and they are charging me £600 to replace them!!!
1) The driver collected the car and I was simply told that I would be contacted by the office. The car was collected in my absence.
2)Although they mention scratches, they still want to charge me for replacement of the alloys rather than repair!

I have instructed credit car company to not to pay them but what else I can do? Can they take me to court? How do I prove that there was no new damage? At the moment its their words against me!! Please help!!!

Moved from the clutter of an 07 thread to a standalone one

Edited by Pugugly on 20/12/2009 at 23:39

Hire car disputed damage - please help! - perro
Have a word with consumer direct dani ~ www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/
Hire car disputed damage - please help! - barney100
Surely they have to prove you caused the damage. Did you inspect the car when you got it? did you sign anything to say the car was pristine when you picked it up? The guy who picked it up could have done the scratches. Tell them you are not going to pay and if they continue to chase you say you will have them for harrassment. Make their job as time consuming and difficult as you can, they will soon get fed up!
Hire car disputed damage - please help! - injection doc
I always take about 6 pics of a hire car when i collect & another 6-8 when returning it & try and photograph something in the back ground to date it etc.ie if its back in the hire's car park or when the driver comes to collect. ( they don't mind having a photo taken when there in it done it a few times.
been there done that & got the t shirt! it wasn;t in ireland by any chance ? as my brother got cuaght in a scam there where they charged everyone for the same damage on the hire car when it was returned!. After much investigation he discovered the previous 5 users had all been charged 150e for damaged windscreen! easy money
Hire car disputed damage - please help! - Bill Payer
I don't understand these things - no-one is going to pay £600 without kicking up a fuss.

OP: Doesn't the car's insurance cover this level of claim?