Ducati left on the grid - wemyss
My son in law has decided to sell his motor bike which he rarely used. Its a Ducati 600 SS model P Reg with 13k on the clock and in lovely condition.
Asked me to help him get it started as it had stood in his garage for three months without being fired up.
First step was to remove the battery and charge.
The engine spun over afterwards with no signs of starting.
Petrol in the tank but topped it up with another half gallon.
Removed both spark plugs and they were virtually as new due to a full service he had before laying it up.
Petrol was on the plugs which proved that fuel was getting there and the spark plugs gave a spark (although it wasn’t the big fat one I see on cars) when connected to the leads and spinning the motor over.
No joy but knowing nothing about motor bikes called at the motor bike centre and asked their advice.
The man said it would be the petrol which would be useless. I explained that it had been topped up and he said this makes no difference as the old remaining would kill off the new.
Never heard of this one before so this week will be removing the tank and draining off.
Can anyone confirm this diagnosis or give any other advice if it won’t start.
Would also welcome any ideas on the best way to sell and it’s approximate value.
alvin
Ducati left on the grid - Dynamic Dave
Yes, petrol can "go off" if left for a period of time, but I wouldn't have said in 3 months. I use my old Honda 125cc very little through the year and probably only fill up the tank a couple of times and have no problems - except if I use unleaded, which I found does go off quicker than LRP - but not within 3 months.

One thought, is the choke mechanism working?

Have you tried bump starting it?

Have you tried draining off a small amount of petrol and seeing if it will ignite with a match?
Ducati left on the grid - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
At arm's length, that is............
Ducati left on the grid - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Afore I go, that reminds me. What the hell are the blowup yobs using?

In one week, we've had explosions blowing up

An old red phone box (phone still works, iron & glass blown to bits)
An old red pillar box
A car

Post box had shredded remnants of a firework in the debris.

What's wrong with these idiots, don't they realise there are perfectly good Gatsos requiring attention?