Computer Related Questions-Volume 205 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 206 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 205. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/12/2009 at 00:46

TomTom Maps - BobbyG
Not sure if this is for CBQ or sat-nav thread...

Just ordered a TT XL Sat Nav for my dad. It has Uk, ROI and Europe maps and can be update with mapshare.

I have a TT710, 2 and a half years old.

Would it be possible to connect the new one to my computer, copy all the relevant updated maps and then load them onto my own TT? Or are the maps protected or not inter-changeable?
TomTom Maps - rtj70
Maps are protected and licensed per device. This would be illegal to do so no discussing how to overcome TomTom's method of licensing maps.
TomTom Maps - BobbyG
Sorry, didn't realise.
Firefox 2.5 - Falkirk Bairn
Just downloaded FF3.5

PC now boots more quickly/closes faster and response times improved.

If your PC is slow, whether you use FF or not, the cleaning up of the Registry makes it a worthwhile exercise.
Firefox 2.5 - Stuartli
I presume you mean Firefox 3.5.5, which was released at the beginning of November.

You can speed up FF even more by using SpeedyFox:

www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox

The new Firefox concept, 3.6, is still only in Beta form:

www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
Auto opening PDF files - Davidss
Hi all,
I have an Excel spreadsheet (Office 2007) where a lot of cells contain hyperlinks to pdf files on my hard drive.
Clicking on any hyperlink fires up Adobe Acrobat Reader 7, which immediately closes down again.
Why?
What do I change to keep the Reader open and display the file?

If I go to Explorer 7 and double click the file, Reader opens and displays the file.
If I open a file like this, leaving the Reader open, then click a hyperlink on the spreadsheet, I am transported back to the originally opened file in Reader, the file on the hyperlink still doesn't open.
The OS is XP Pro to Service Pack 3.

I'm not sure if it's a setting in Excel, Adobe Reader, or somewhere else, that I should be changing.

Any ideas please?
Auto opening PDF files - Altea Ego
Have they ever worked? it sounds like the wrong path/filename is in the link.
'Have they ever worked' is a bit difficult.
I can't remember.
I've just rebuilt this PC, but it's taken some months to get this far.
The system has worked on another PC, XP Pro at SP3, Office 2007, but the PDF application is Foxit.

" it sounds like the wrong path/filename is in the link."
I use the actual link shown in the 'mouseover' to guide me to the file.
I've just rechecked and the path is good.
Anyway, if the path was wrong it either wouldn't point to the PDF file, or it would point to the wrong PDF file. As the PDF application opens up the hyperlink must be pointing to a pdf file, AND the File Association must be valid.

Regards.
you will need to reinstal Adobe or foxit, and take out your links and remake them.
"and take out your links and remake them.".
That seems a bit extreme. There are 131 hyperlinks in one spreadsheet and 97 in the other.

I appreciate I could be accused of looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I'll wait and see if a second opinion becomes available :-)

Regards.
I appreciate I could be accused of looking a gift horse in the mouth but
I'll wait and see if a second opinion becomes available :-)

well take a donkey then, and take out foxit and install Adobe see if the halfway stage fixes it. That shouldnt mean too much wear on those sensitive fingers of yours ;)
Auto opening PDF files - maz64
Is it possible that the command line passed to Reader by XP is invalid? That is, it includes the path to the selected file, but it also includes some other (say) options which are invalid, causing Reader to exit with an error?

Can you go into file associations and see the command which is executed for PDFs?
"Can you go into file associations and see the command which is executed for PDFs?"

OK, I've gone into Windows Explorer, clicked Tools, Folder Options and selected File Types.
Scrolled down to PDF, which is described as Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document.
I click Advanced which tells me the only action is 'Open'.
Neither 'Confirm open after download' or 'Always show extension' are ticked.

Without hope I ticked 'confirm open ...' but although it retained that setting, it made no difference to the operation. I closed Adobe Reader, but did not reboot the PC for this test.

Regards
Auto opening PDF files - jbif
Auto opening PDF files >>

Use your search engine:
Excel 2007 cells hyperlinks to pdf files do not open in Adobe Acrobat Reader

This is what I found:
support.microsoft.com/kb/897755/en-us
"When you click a hyperlink to an Adobe Acrobat PDF file in an Office document, Adobe Acrobat Reader starts and then closes without opening the PDF file"

According to this, updating Reader should fix it:
kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331197.html
According to this updating Reader should fix it:

BTW apologies if the Microsoft article says the same thing - I just get "Server Error in '/' Application" when I click on the link.
BTW apologies if the Microsoft article says the same thing - I just get "Server Error in '/' Application" when I click on the link. >>

Yes, looks like MS web site is down! (I am getting "server too busy").

The MS solution said:
Article ID: 897755 - Last Review: January 26, 2007 - Revision: 4.9
SYMPTOMS
You create a hyperlink to an Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF) file in a document in one of the programs that are listed in the "Applies to" section. When you click the link to open the PDF file, Adobe Acrobat Reader starts and then closes without opening the PDF file. This problem also occurs when you click an existing link to a PDF file in one of the programs that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Back to the top
CAUSE
This problem occurs if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 installed on the computer.
Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, update Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 to Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.01. To do this, follow these steps:
Start Adobe Acrobat Reader.
On the Help menu, click Check for updates now.
Under Current Updates, click Adobe Acrobat 7.0.1 and Reader 7.0.1 Update, and then click Add.
Click Update.

Edited by jbif on 15/12/2009 at 14:20

Thanks jbif, I followed your guidance to 'go forth and browse young man'.
Like you, I got the Server busy response from Microsoft.
From reading other Browser Serach returns I got that I should install version 6 instead, so I de-installed version 7 (I don't know which variant this was) and installed v6, updating to the latest variant 6.06.

I did research installing 9.02, but from the reviews I found, the application is becoming more and more bloated, so this tended to reinforce my push towards v6.
However, I'll try to remember that 7.01 is also an option.

Thanks again for the Search Terms.
Numeric keypad - Robin Reliant
Mine hasn't worked since I re-installed XP some months ago. The driver is in place and up to date, and it is the same with a spare keyboard I have.

Any suggestions?
Numeric keypad - NorfolkDriver
There is a button, normally near the top of the keyboard, NUM LOCK.

Press it and the number pad should work.
Numeric keypad - Robin Reliant
Simple, yet brilliant!

Thanks ND.
Numeric keypad - jbif
Any suggestions? >>

I note that the Norfolk suggestion has worked for you. If you want a "permanent" cure, you need to set your num lock at boot up. As you have not stated the make/model/spec of your car (sorry, your PC), the following generic solution is suggested:

Search t'internet for the words: num lock at boot

Edited by jbif on 15/12/2009 at 14:01

Me noise 'as gone ! - 1400ted
Fitted a cheap freeview box to the office telly on Saturday and thought I would fettle all the cabling for the PC and all it's gubbins.
Was changing the speakers to a smaller pair.. Set it all up and got no sound...power on OK.
put the other pair back...still no sound. Tried all three jack sockets on the back of the box and tried a CD and YouTube...nowt. Bought a small pair of clip on USB speakers today but still in the packet.
Any advice...or do I need to get Ratty out of his bed and round here ?

Ted
Me noise 'as gone ! - Rattle
Go to the volume control next to the clock and can to tell us what you see? Check its not on mute etc.

Also this sounds daft and obvious but have you checked the speakers are plugged in the right socket? Many motherboard have lots of 3.5mm outputs and they all look the same colour in the dark.

Edited by Rattle on 16/12/2009 at 00:15

Me noise 'as gone ! - Stuartli
Some of the most common causes of no sound on a computer system are that the on-board sound or sound card has not been Enabled as the Default device; that in the General tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties (via Control Panel) that Mute has been inadvertently Enabled (sometimes caused by muting sound during normal use) or that Mute has been Enabled in one or more of the Volume Control's sub-sections (double click on the Volume icon to bring up the panel for Record/Playback).

If you have Realtek or C-Media on-board or sound card facilities, the sound control manager's configuration may need checking, for instance, that the correct speakers' output has been selected (2.0, 2.1, 4.1 etc); both have a speakers test routine.

Normally the 3.5mm speaker jack socket has a green surround.

Edited by Stuartli on 16/12/2009 at 11:33

Me noise 'as gone ! - Rattle
That came to my mind too as Ted does have a USB turntable but there is no play back device on it, its record only (in sound card terms).

Me noise 'as gone ! - Stuartli
>>..or do I need to get Ratty out of his bed and round here ?>>

Get the lazy so and so "round here"..:-)
Cost of a business website - janliv18
Hi all

Can anyone who works with websites / computers tell me roughly what price a 5 page basic business website would cost. I run a small joinery company and need a basic website presence. I am not computer literate, so doing it myself is not an option.

Thank you

JL
Cost of a business website - Rattle
Depending on the quality anything from £100 to £2000.

All it depends how far you want to go with search engine optimisation and how profesional you want it to look.
Cost of a business website - janliv18
Thanks for you response.

I was hoping to spend under £500. I dont need search engine optimisation but the website needs to look profesional.

£500 should cover that, depending how much graphics you will supply and how much of it is usable. If you want all the graphics made it will cost you a lot more than. Many years ago I did a website for a joinery company in return for a new bathroom for my parents, I got the joiners to take lots of photos of recent jobs. It worked really well.

Make sure the companies website complies with W3C standards and have a look at other websites they have made. Avoid flash as people hate it.

Do you need to easily be able to update the website? That also effects cost.

I am an ex web developer that never quite made the grade I just couldn't be bothered with the low paid jobs which 1000's of people were applying for.

Edited by Rattle on 17/12/2009 at 17:43

Cost of a business website - maz64
Make sure the companies website complies with W3C standards

like this one - NOT :-)
Why? If a company cannot even comply with standards then it causes lots of problems. I have had this debate with you on this website before and we could be going on all day. At the end of the day how hard is it to write XHTML code which is complient - its not. Not doing so is just lazyness.
Cost of a business website - maz64
I have had this debate with you on this website before

Sorry Rattle - not sure which debate you are referring to, but like yourself (I think) I can't understand why this website is so non-compliant. I'm with you on that.
I understnad that sometimes its very difficult or impossible to make everythign complient, but so much of it there is no excuse for such as missing ALT tags.

This website is pretty poor but I have seen a lot worse, e.g pictures used for buttons, missing ALTs, down right ilegal (in W3C terms) HTML code, inproper use of frames or tables etc.

The job I used to have was developing websites for the public sector so I think that is why I am still so hung up on web standards so many years later.
Cost of a business website - pete&hisgolf
I would highly recommend these people:www.nicelittlewebsite.co.uk/

They are fast, responsive and excellent value, though I do have to declare a personal interest: one of them is my sister.

Pete
What Internet security for a netbook? - JH
What internet security (as opposed to just virus scan) are you using on your netbook? The free 90 days on this Norton thing are just about up. Does a netbook REALLY need a special edition or is that just a plot to get my money?

I can only find Comodo as a full, free security package.

Thanks,
JH

Edited by JH on 18/12/2009 at 15:32

What Internet security for a netbook? - Rattle
PCWORLD are currently doing Kappersky for £18.99 it is a very good price for what is great security. If you insist on free than Windows Security Essentials is pretty good.

Always the best security measure is always common sense.
Thanks Rattle, I'm using KIS on my main pc and I'm happy with it. I'm slightly put off the idea though by the existence of a special netbook edition. I suspect that it's just marketing though. If so they're shooting themselves in the foot slightly.

Thanks
JH
The netbook edition would use less resources e.g it will have less fancy graphics. What are the specs of this netbook?
Rattle, Windows XP on Atom processor - N270, 1.6 GHz with Intel graphics 945 chipset & 1Gb of memory. It needs more memory, the disk is going all of the time (paging), probably due to the graphics. My old XP machine didn't page like this on 1Gb and it feels "laggy".

Thanks,
JH
Those Atom processors are slow I have used a lot of them and get impatient with them. Of course the slow processor means that the page file processing will be slower, so more RAM will help but surely 1GB is enough for XP?

How much RAM is the system currently using?

What Internet security for a netbook? - Altea Ego
The Atom is a dog
It seems to be but it cost nowt (wife won it!) and it's fine for browsing and for loading up photos, tracks etc when away from home.

JH
What Internet security for a netbook? - ifithelps
...The Atom is a dog...

Depends what you want it to do.

Does the job of surfing/emailing on my Eee PC, which runs Linux.

Edited by ifithelps on 18/12/2009 at 17:22

Anything up to 1.5Gb, after going through the start up list with an axe. 1Gb for XP was fine on my old desk top pc so I reckon it's this graphics card using system memory.

JH
It shouldn't be, something strange is going on if its using as much as 1.gb? I would expect a well tuned XP system to use no more than 300MB and 500MB if a lot of web browsers etc are open.

Ah sorry Rattle, I misunderstood. Yes, when just browsing or the like it's around the 300 - 400MB mark.

JH
It sounds like its just the slow processor then, have you checked its running at full speed? Control panal then system. Sometimes the power options are set to slow the processor down if its powered by batteries.
Thanks Rattle, I know what you mean but I didn't see anything that might slow the processor when on battery power. It's ok for web browsing, wouldn't want to do anything serious with it though! :-)

Thanks,
JH
What Internet security for a netbook? - VR6
If your NC20 is like my NC10, pressing 'Fn' and 'F8' changes the speed of the computer. I have 3 modes - Silent / Normal / Speed.
What Internet security for a netbook? - VR6
Although not a complete security product, I use Avast Home Edition (free) on my netbook, seems to use very little memory. I use the XP firewall in conjunction with it.
I mention Avast, as they do a paid for version (Professional Edition), which I haven't used, but I would consider as the free edition is so good.
What Internet security for a netbook? - Stuartli
>>I use Avast Home Edition (free) >>

This has been my mainstay AV for several years now - does what it says on the tin and looks after itself very well; firewall is the standalone version of Comodo Firewall Pro (freeware).
What Internet security for a netbook? - Stuartli
>>..and 500MB if a lot of web browsers etc are open>>

I usually have several browsers open, do downloads and installations and have a PCI Freeview TV card in full use and RAM taken up from a gigabyte is rarely above the 500MB-510MB mark (XP Pro).
Yep that sounds about right, but some people have so much crap they use running in the background such as Photoshop downloader and all that crap. When tuning I like to aim for 300MB on bootup and thats for SP3/wifi drivers/AV software etc. However depending on the user it is quite easy to tune it down to 200MB of idle.

Edited by Rattle on 18/12/2009 at 20:05

What Internet security for a netbook? - Pugugly
I had that Photoshop downloader on my desktop - very intrusive. It went in a recent audit.
What Internet security for a netbook? - smokie
Surely physical memory and paging are not really affected too much by many processes if they are not actually doing anything? Any memory held by the task will be paged out, and only paged back in as needed. OK, might make the computer a bit slow during the start up phase, while everything settles down and calls home, or whatever it does, and I suppose the pagefile might be larger than without the task, but once it's settled the impact would be minimal wouldn't it?

What Internet security for a netbook? - maz64
Any memory held by the task will be paged
out and only paged back in as needed.

...but it won't be paged out unless there's no free physical memory left, will it? So if it's only using 500Mb out of 1Gb then I wouldn't expect to see any paging.
What Internet security for a netbook? - smokie
True...
What Internet security for a netbook? - Altea Ego
...but it won't be paged out unless there's no free physical memory left will it?
So if it's only using 500Mb out of 1Gb then I wouldn't expect to see
any paging.

Not true. Even if you have 500mb of RAM free, a proprtion of your memory will be paged out on disk.

At this moment in time I have 2gb Ram
500mb free
and 400mb paged out to disk

Unless you set paging off, there will always be some paging happening.
What Internet security for a netbook? - Davidss
How are you guys monitoring / reviewing what real and virtual memory is in use please?
I'm using XP Tablet Edition, if it makes a difference.

Thanks.
Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - janliv18
I have a Sony FS215z laptop with Windows XP Home. I have disconnection issues with the internet. Sometimes it will disconnect from the Linksys ADSL router and then be unable to find it again. I have the latest drivers for the wireless. I also tried using a Linksys usb stick and have the same issues. There are 3 other machines that use this connection (one being another newer Sony laptop) and they do not have issues.
Would this problem be with the laptop, the operating system or the Linksys router?
Would upgrading to Windows 7 help in anyway?

thank you
Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - Rattle
Have you got anything in like a cordless phone in the room where this laptop is? It sounds like you're having signal problems. What type of linksys router is it? Some of the ADSL ones had very poor range.

Upgrading to Windows 7 won't make any difference.

Edited by Rattle on 19/12/2009 at 14:35

Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - janliv18
No cordless phones (well not in that room anyway). There is a BT Digital phone next door in the kitchen.
Its a Linksys W610N.

thanks
Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - Altea Ego
Set the laptop with issues to 802.11b, (11mbs). Its probably on 802.11g (54mbs)

Its an older Sony laptop and probably didnt properly implement 11g.
Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - Rattle
Try plugging out the cordless phone you may find it is that.
Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - Pugugly
That's "unplugging" down south :-)
Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - bell boy
why do i go up to london then?
Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - Alby Back
Dunno BB because I would definitely go down to London or even into it. I'd go up to Edinburgh or over to Leeds but when in Glasgow I'd go through to Edinburgh. I'd go over to France but down to Italy. Sometimes I don't know whether I'm coming or going.

However, this has nothing to do with computers other than to say unequivocally that I go on mine.

Will sorry do ?

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 19/12/2009 at 17:38

Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - drbe
why do i go up to london then?

>>

Because you live or work South or West of London. If you live or work North of London, then you go down to London.

Notice the way I use upper case text where appropriate.

;-)

Edited by drbe on 19/12/2009 at 17:42

Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - Altea Ego
Notice the way I use upper case text where appropriate.

that is so quaint. americans must love you.
Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - Alby Back
Americans need quite a lot of guidance.
Sony FS215Z Laptop Disconnecting - SpamCan61 {P}
because in railway terms you're heading towards the main terminus.
vista & windows media player - borasport20
I post this from SWMBO's packard bell vista laptop

It has windows media player installed as the default program for most audio file extensions, including mp3, cda etc, and if I locate one of these files and open them it starts the windows media player, but inserting a cd in the drive always starts Real Player.

If i go into 'control panel', 'change autoplay settings', 'audio cd' I have options for 'open with real player','open with power cinema', but not media player.
If I go into 'default programs', windows media player doesn't show up

how do I get it to run when a CD is inserted ?
vista & windows media player - jbif
First beware the conficker worm whihc relies on the autorun/autoplay feature:
www.microsoft.com/security/worms/Conficker.aspx
support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

and then
how do I get it to run when a CD is inserted ? >>

You may be able to find a solution here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoRun

Importing pictures from Picasa - P.Mason {P}
Can anyone tell me how to import images from a picture-storage/editing program(I use Picasa 3) onto a digital camera. I wish to display the images on a TV via SD card.
The camera shows as external drive 'F' on the 'My Computer' window, and after importing pics. from Picasa, the Drive F window shows that the folders of JPEGs have been imported. However, they don't display on the camera.
Help!
P.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/12/2009 at 01:11

Importing pictures from Picasa - SpamCan61 {P}
You may well find that the camera can only display images it has created, i.e. same pixel dimensions for starters, this is certainly the case with my 2004 vintage Canon Powershot.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/12/2009 at 01:11

Winter & Broadband - bintang
Is there any relationship? My BT broadband connection is acting up badly this morning (temperature about zero where I live). Explorer connections are very slow or fail completeley, passwords are not recognised, web pages won't print.

Or maybe it is just my computer and maybe three and a half years' service is all one can expect from a Dell laptop.
Winter & Broadband - maz64
My 3+ year old Dell laptop has had trouble booting up (into Linux) since the cold weather started - obviously not the same problem, but might back up the theory that cold weather might aggravate any issues with old hardware.

EDIT: I carry my laptop to work in a rucksack so it can be relatively cold when I start it up

Edited by Focus {P} on 23/12/2009 at 11:04

Winter & Broadband - smokie
No obvious connection, unless lines are down or operator has cold fingers!

Sounds like your ISP (BT) has some issues, probably fairly localised. Do they have a status update on their web page?

A Dell laptop should last longer than that!! Our company uses some twice that age.
Winter & Broadband - bell boy
no problem with my blueyonder line touch frost
Winter & Broadband - Falkirk Bairn
BB is susceptible to water- BT copper wires and underground water give issues
Winter & Broadband - SpamCan61 {P}
BB is susceptible to water- BT copper wires and underground water give issues

Yes, I did have a intenret slowdown a couple of years back due to the phone cables to my house sitting in a foot of water. Typing this on a 4 year old Dell ;-)
Winter & Broadband - Altea Ego
I wouldnt trust a dell laptop to last beyond 3 years.

smokie - using 7 year old dells? who do you work for Steptoe and Sons PLC?
Temperature & Broadband - JH
B
I'd suspect the condensation that will be a consequence of the fluctuating temperature.

Lower temperature will cause the lines to your local exchange to contract, but that will have been allowed for when they were installed. It's not much consolation but it shouldn't be happening. How's voice? You may get somewhere if you can complain about that.

JH
Temperature & Broadband - RobertyBob
Bintang

BT are having major problems with their Peterborough hub; this is affecting much of East Anglia. Could this be affecting you?

Edited by RobertyBob on 23/12/2009 at 13:56

Winter & Broadband - smokie
Yes, almost AE. Beggars can't be choosers an' all that...

There is one old lappy running something in the server room, does the job so why throw it?
Winter & Broadband - ifithelps
...using 7 year old dells? who do you work for Steptoe and Sons PLC?...

AE,

My desk is from the 1960s, I suspect the chair is 1980s, I recently replaced an Epson printer from around the same vintage.

Until a year or so ago, I was using an Apple 'all-in-one' Imac which would have been around 10 years old.

My little office has not been decorated in at least 15 years, and I bought a new vacuum cleaner for the part-time cleaning lady because I thought the old one looked dangerous.

I could go on.

And I don't think my lot are bad to work for in many respects, but office equipment is replaced only if it absolutely has to be.

In my experience it's only councils, educational institutions, government quangos and the like who buy new stuff every two minutes - someone else's money.

Oh and the carpet's never been touched, either.

Recording audio from a PC. - M.M
I would like a simple way of recording audio that is playing on the PC. I mean recording it to the hard drive but not by copying files. The specific purpose is to make my own mp3 ringtone but at the moment I have no idea where the audio track I'll use will come from. Might be an LP, CD, mp3, from a streaming video site or similar.

I guess really I'd like to record what I hear from the speakers.

Edited by M.M on 23/12/2009 at 14:13

Recording audio from a PC. - Pugugly
www.supermp3recorder.com/

Worked on all my computers over the years,
Recording audio from a PC. - Stuartli
Audacity is also well regarded:

audacity.sourceforge.net/

Recording audio from a PC. - rtj70
I second Audacity although I use it on a Mac. You need to buy it to avoid it adding static/noise to recordings after about 10 minutes. But it works well. Just use it legally.
Recording audio from a PC. - Stuartli
You need to buy it to avoid it adding static/noise to recordings after about 10 minutes. But it works well. Just use it legally.>>

To the best of my knowledge, Audacity has always been freeware.

Website quote: "Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds".

Edited by Stuartli on 23/12/2009 at 20:12

Recording audio from a PC. - rtj70
I have Audacity and Audio Hijack. It is the latter that adds the static. But works well in "hijacking" audio from other applications. I got them mixed up. I use both.
Recording audio from a PC. - Hugh Watt
I've used Total Recorder for years & would recommend it. 17 dollars from www.highcriteria.com .
Recording audio from a PC. - Statistical outlier
Eddie, me too, it works great but it's not the most intuitive user interface.
Recording audio from a PC. - SpamCan61 {P}
Another satisified TotalRecorder user here.
Recording audio from a PC. - M.M
Thanks all... I'll give those a look in the festive break.