Cold Start / Glowplugs - Mr Moo
Hi,

We've recently acquired a Freelander 2, TD4. Having owned various disel fuelled cars in the past, I'm used to waiting for the glowplug light to go out prior to a cold start. On my old ZX TD (indirect injection), this could take over 10 seconds in sub zero temperatures.

On a more recent Golf TDi (direct injection PD engine), this only ever took a few seconds. On the Freelander, you insert the 'key' into its port and then push the 'Start' button, so there is no option to turn the ket to a preheat position. Reading the manual, it says that in cold temperatures, the glowplug light will illuminate and a message along the lines of 'Cranking will commence after preheat' will be displayed. I would therefore expect that after having pushed 'Start', there would be a delay on a few seconds and the above messages, before the engine cranked over and fired up.

The other morning, is was minus 2 degrees and I was expecting to see the above message. However, I pushed the start button and it fired up straight away, with no delay for any preheat. I imagine that the electronics would still activate the glowplugs during cranking and after the cold start to aid smooth running and minimise emissions. Two questions:-

To other Freelander 2 owners, how cold does it have to be before there is a delay while the glowplugs do their stuff?

To other users who have this 2.2 engine in other vehicles (Peugeot 4007 and 407, Citroen C-Crosser and various C5s and C6s, Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2, Ford S-Max and Mondeo etc.), which may have more conventional ignition keys, do the glowplugs on your car activate in cold temperatures and does the engine start OK if you ignore the glowplug warning light?

I know this is a modern direct injection common rail engine, but I'm still surprised that there is no glowplug delay in sub zero temperatues!

Cheers
Cold Start / Glowplugs - Alby Back
Can't speak for your particular engine but it might just be a convenient characteristic. My new Qashqai diesel doesn't like being cranked over until the glowplug lights go out but my 2002 Mondeo diesel has never needed to be delayed. It has always started instantly in all weathers much like a petrol car.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - piston power
Why not test it?

Put a 12 volt test lamp to the feed wire to the first glow plug and press the button does it shine bright how many seconds?

When started i suspect it will repeat heating the plugs for a few seconds to warm up faster.

So there is no initial key then press start?
Cold Start / Glowplugs - David Horn
I imagine the glowplugs are used pretty much regardless of the temperature outside, but they're not essential to actually start the engine. On my Passat TDI you can hear the relay for them clicking dependent on OAT / engine speed.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - daveyjp
Last diesel I had which ever showed a glowplug light you had to wait for was a 1996 Fiesta 1.8d. I've not seen one on three Audis, a 1.4TDci, a Pug 307 or the X type (which IIRC uses the same 2.2 engine as the Freelander).

Many modern diesel cars do the pre heat as soon as you unlock the door, rather than when the key is inserted in the ignition.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - Altea Ego
I dont thinkI have ever bothered to wait for, or check for, a glowplug light to go out since 2003. Its always turn on ignition and start engine right away.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - dieselfitter
That's odd! Mondeo TDCi certainly had a glowplug light and you were supposed to wait until it went out before starting the motor - just long enough to fasten your seatbelt, actually. My new Audi has a glowplug light too, which takes only a second or so to go out - must RTFM, but I think it says 'wait for it'. Mind you, both cars would start if you just fire them up without bothering to wait. Maybe with more soot in first second or two??
Cold Start / Glowplugs - injection doc
why worry ? if its starts then no problem. on a serious note I have a freelander 2 & I have been in -10 & when it gets that cold there is a delaywhilst the plugs heat up which is spooky! press the start button & there is a delay before it turns over. never had an issue with starting & always fires on the button. I think I do remeber the glow light comming on when it was very very cold.
The injection pressures are so high nowdays that the engnes don't rely on the glow plugs like they used too
Cold Start / Glowplugs - dieselfitter
>>why worry ?

Only if it really does produce more soot without pre-heating. More for the DPF to filter out.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - boxsterboy
I think you will find that the glowplugs are turned on as soon as you unlock the car - certainly all my modern diesels start to make whirring noises as soon as you do this - hence there is no delay when you turn the key.

Edited by boxsterboy on 07/12/2009 at 21:59

I ordered mine without DPF as its an option & I'm blowed if I was going to pay for a DPF & all the maintenance & a drop in fuel consumption!
Cold Start / Glowplugs - lotusexige
Politicly impure and proud of it?
Cold Start / Glowplugs - Dougie_Mac
Hi,

I've got a freelander 2 and I've recently had problems with it starting in the cold. Over the last few week when it has been -2 and below the car has struggled to start in the morning. I put the key fob in, press the start button and immediately the engine turns over. It does not start but misfires and struggles, the glowplug symbol (yellow coil) appears on the dash as soon as the engine turns over. Eventually it will start albeit very lumpy or it won't and I have to leave it for a few minutes then try again. I believe when I press the start button on very cold days the engine should not turn over straight away but wait for the glowplugs to heat then the engine management system should start the engine when it is ready. Am I right in this assumption? I've put the Freelander into the garage today but I don't hold out much hope as the service manager of the garage just said I must be doing something wrong in that patronising way! I'll keep you up dated if you like...?
you are correct. the last few days my Freelander 2 has had a delay after pressing the start button of 6-8 sec's then turns over & fires on the button.
You may have a plug down or even two if it starts lumpy usually this is the problem.

It seems when you unlock these cars the glow plugs get there heat so as you push to start it does probably good compression too not all diesels have plugs.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - madf
My Yaris starts at once .. whatever weather..-8C yesterday.
I suspect the electronics switch them on when I open the driver's door, whether the key is in the ignition or not.
Latest from the Landrover garage is that my vehicle needs a software update to enable the glowplugs to function properly. They will hold it overnight and try starting it in the morning with the new software loaded. Will let you know what the outcome is....
Cold Start / Glowplugs - bristol01
My Verso tends to fire up almost instantaneously, even in the current cold conditions. An old Renault 19 diesel of mine took a little while for the preheat light to go out.

Hired a Transit about 10 years ago. Fired up instantaneously every time.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - ifithelps
Some agricultural tractors of yore had a manual control for the glowplugs.

Mount up, hold the little lever against its spring detent, count to 10 slowly, release, press the starter button (or pull the starter lever) and off she went.

Edited by ifithelps on 22/12/2009 at 19:01

Cold Start / Glowplugs - gordonbennet
Some agricultural tractors of yore had a manual control for the glowplugs.

Some if not most Diesel vans were like this (seem to remember an early MB diesel car i drove being similar) i recall the Perkins 4108 engined Transits having a push button glow warm button on the dash.

Often neeeded 'easystart' on days like this though.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - David Horn
Our New Holland has a cold start button, but I've never used it and don't think it's for glow plugs. Starts instantly anyway.

Our old Zetor, on the other hand, needed a mechanical device on the fuel pump pushing in for a cold start regardless of the OAT. No idea what it actually did to the pump.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - daveyjp
Dougie-mac - I have an X type 2.2d with the same engine as the Freelander. Yesterday the car only moved a few yards to allow me to get my wife's car out, it was then parked on street all day and I moved it back in the evening and it spluttered when it started, but was OK once running.

This morning I went to start it. It turned over, started, but was very lumpy - it seemed like not even three cylinders. Then the glowpug light flashed. Manual is useless as to what this means.

Left it for a few minutes and tried again. Same result. Left it again and tried, it spluttered and as soon as it stalled I turned it off. After three goes of this it started and has been fine all day.

Tomorrow I'll cycle the ignition a few times to let the glow plugs warm up a few times then I'll try to start it.

It was -7 this morning so I'm putting it down to a problem with the diesel in very cold weather, but I never had problems with PD Audis.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - bimmer-driver
The X-type and Freelanders don't share 2.2 d engines. In the Jag its an enlarged version of the old mondeo engine. In the L/R its a joint design with PSA. Completely different beasts.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - Avant
"Yesterday the car only moved a few yards to allow me to get my wife's car out; it was then parked on street all day and I moved it back in the evening and it spluttered when it started, but was OK once running."

Maybe diesels don't like this, as some petrol engines don't. If you drove it some distance today, it may well be fine tomorrow.

PU may be able to help you with the 'glowpug light' (sic, above)!!
Latest this morning is that it's not the software but its the glowplugs.... none in the garage so it won't be until the 30th before they will hopefully receive them! If not it's going to be the 5th! Grrrrrrrrrr Not impressed and this from a Landrover dealership!
Latest this morning is that it's not the software but its the glowplugs.... none in
the garage

I hope they've tested them properly and not into the 'throw parts at it' phase.

I wouldn't have thought a Free2 to be anywhere near old enough for glow worms to be failing.

I personally dislike the push button stop start systems, you haven't got the foggiest idea whats going on as you have no control over the starting procedure at all.
Thats poor service they can get them from another dealer or parts department overnight, or fit non genuine just to get you running and replace them later.

v poor service.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - Hamsafar
Most cars produced after...(let's say 2000) don't need glow plugs in UK weather. They will still come on to reduce the cranking time by a turn and lower noise and emissions and stay on for a minute or three after the engine has started, but the days of needing to wait for them are gone due to direct injection and better atomisation. 99% of trucks have never had them, as they have always been direct injection (as opposed to prechamber). Also, the glowplug lights are no longer on the same circuit as the glowplugs themselves and haven't been for years, the light is just a signal from the ECU to ask you to wait, the glowplugs stay on after the light has gone out.

Edited by Hamsafar on 24/12/2009 at 14:10

The software update now delays the start of the cracking of the engine whilst the glow plugs are allegedly doing their job but the beast still doesn't start....
If as s few people have stated modern diesels don't need glow plugs because the pressures are now so high, could this mean that my engine is losing compression in some way?
Well it won't start this morning so I have called the Land rover helpline. Apparently these are specific land rover technicians so it will be interesting to see what they diagnose when they arrive...
Cold Start / Glowplugs - WorkshopTech
Glowplugs are not really doing much on these engines unless the temperature is really cold (like Canadian cold or Norway cold). They are not really needed in UK climate. So glowplug is a red herring.
I think you are more likely to have a fuel system problem than a compression problem.
Is the battery good and spinning it over quick enough?
Well the Land Rover technician couldn't make it so they sent The AA. Mr AA was surprised as the engine was turning over fast enough but it was only firing once or twice in a given starting cycle (I have to say at this stage the outside temperature up here in Scotland was fluctuating between -5 and -7 today). By this time and because of me trying to start the car earlier in the day the battery was starting to lose a little bit of oomph so we connected up his booster kit. After 3 more attempts it finally caught and started. After it has started once, it will start every time there after unless left overnight in the cold.

MR AA thought that the glow plugs were not too blame as they are used now a days to help with emissions and smoke prevention rather than for cold weather. He thought that perhaps it was a fuel problem but could understand why it didn't happen even if it was left overnight when it wasn't cold.

He said I?d need to take it to my Land Rover garage and get them to do some more diagnostics.... we then went through the usual gathering of vehicle details before he leaves and I told him it had done 120K and he immediately changed his tact and said hmmmmm could be a compression issue and when the engine cold the metal contracts slightly, just enough , if it is well worn that you don't get enough compression but once it has ran it is hotter and has expanded and the compression issue disappears. This would account for it being fine in normal conditions and not starting in cold conditions.

So as you can see I've now got 3 theories:
1. Glow plugs - Land Rover garage
2. Fuel starvation - This forum and The AA
3. Compression - Mr AA

Those in the know please cast your votes and if possible a reason why.

Any help would be very much appreciated before I go back into battle with the Land Rover dealership tomorrow.
I'm no expert so discard all i say as rubbish which most here do..;)

If the glow plugs don't assist starting, does that mean as in some trucks i've had (instant starters unlike the latest junk) that the pump has an automatic enriching device, which may be on the blink?

Probably not the pump any more, too simple, but a signal (missing for some reason?) from the 'puter to send extra fuel through until started.
I dont think its the glowplugs. It COULD be compression IF the engine is worn. but it shouldnt be that worn with 120k on it. Bore wear and loss of compression would be rare at that mileage. We service a few diesel taxis, passat, octavia, sharan, and they are all over 300k on original engine, one has done nearly 500k. Get the dealer to do a comprssion test using appropriate equipment (not one that records peak pressure, but one that produces a trace of pressure with time). I still think its most likley a fuelling problem, but not necessarikly the pump. These things can be hard to nail though.
Mercedes C class have a simple problen with there cdi range that is O rings on the fuel lines perish and air gets into the system causing no start after several attempts to start they do.

As said at that mileage she is just run in 120k look at simple things first like air in the fuel if the dealers can't fix this simple freelander run a mile and go to a good indie.!!
Cold Start / Glowplugs - Number_Cruncher
>>not one that records peak pressure, but one that produces a trace of pressure with time

What does measuring pressure over time tell you that peak pressure doesn't?

Firstly thank you very much to everyone who has had an input to my dilemma, having the ability to turn to someone other than the dealer is fantastic.

Well I informed the Land Rover dealership of the fact that the car had failed to start again yesterday and I felt it was more likely to be a fuel problem or as an outside chance a compression problem and the service managers response was "Your wrong sir, as is The AA, it?s the glow plugs and I'll try and find out when we can get them for you but probably not before the 6th Jan".

So here I am back at square 1 with a car that is fantastic in the snowy & icy conditions we are experiencing at the moment but is unable to leave its own driveway unless I call out the Land Rover assistance every day.

Should I phone another Land Rover dealership (not as close but still within driving distance) and speak to them with a view to switching dealerships or should I stick with this one and let them have another go with replacing the glow plugs?
I get to start a lot of LR Diesels cold in my job, in very cold weather there is an extended delay between pressing the start stop button and the engine turning over...if this isn't glow plug pre heat time what is it?
Cold Start / Glowplugs - DP
On our Golf PD, the cut off point for OAT before any change in glowplug lamp behaviour seems to be about -2 degrees C (on a cold start). The light comes on briefly with the ignition and goes pretty much straight out again almost every time, except for when the temperature drops below this. In the recent cold weather we've had (-4C or so overnight), the light stays on for about 5 seconds. Once the light goes out, it starts first touch of the key, as per normal. This is a big improvement on my old indirect injected Mondeo which would need 10 seconds + if there was even a hint of frost.
I haven't attempted to start it before the light goes out because this is bad for the injectors, but it has been behaving differently to normal on these very cold nights of late.

Cheers
DP
Car Mechanics did an article in great detail about the TD4. There are LOTS of issues.

Most likely:

Excessive injector leak off;;; lots of cranking required.

Wiring chafes.
Harness failure etc. there is a modified harness and pressure sensor kit

It is 4 pages long.!!!

I can scan and send you a copy.
Contact me via the mods if you want it.

Edited by madf on 29/12/2009 at 13:27

Most likely:
Excessive injector leak off;;; lots of cranking required.
Wiring chafes.
Harness failure etc. there is a modified harness and pressure sensor kit

These are the kind of things I would be thinking of. But impossible to make asuggestion without seeing the car and having access to correct diagnostics.
Even doen to -10 I would expect engine to fire up after a few turns even without glowplugs. At these warmer temps glowplugs are mainly to reduce cold start emissions. They are vital in IDI engines, but a bit of a luxury on DI engines in UK climate.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - Pugugly
Is this the TD4 engine though ???

Thought it was the PSA unit.

By the way - The CRV's engine has the glowplug light comes on for around a second since the onset of the cold weather and has not failed to start instantly from very, very cold this winter.
Cold Start / Glowplugs - Alby Back
The Qashqai seems to need its glowplugs. It simply will not catch without excessive cranking in any weather unless you wait for the wee light to go out when it conversely starts instantly. This is quite different to the Mondeo which must have glowplugs but is rufty tufty and hairy chested enough to start on the first click of the key without any shilly shallying in any temperature. It is a shame in a way that I have decided to adhere to a no smoking rule in the Nissan as the little delay would have been the ideal time to spark one up..... Heh heh....
From my very little knowledge this is the same 160bhp 2.2 diesel engine that is used in the Peugeot Crossover. Is this a PSA engine? My Freelander 2 has a TD4 badge on the back so is the PSA and TD4 engine the same?
IIRC It's te BMW engine
The earliest diesel Freelanders were powered (I think) by the Rover L Series lump and had no badging to denote the engine. Latterly, they were powered by the BMW 2.0 engine and were badged Td4.

The Freelander 2 is also badged Td4, but is powered by the 2.2 PSA/Ford unit. Not sure which engine the earlier poster was referring to when he mentioned injector leak off etc.

In the colder weather we have now been experiencing, our 2.2 Freelander 2 has now been introducing a delay of a couple of seconds before it cranks, and the glowplug light does come on. Seems a bit random though. Sometimes at -2, it does preheat, other times it doesn't, in spite of being left overnight in the same conditions... Either way, it starts fine, so there's nothing to worry about.
The 2.2 160hp TD4 engine in the Freelander 2 is the same as that found in the Peugeot 4007 and Citroen C-Crosser.

Cold Start / Glowplugs - Non Swede
I've had my Landrover Freelander for 6 years and it has been brilliant in all conditions, however I moved to Sweden 7 months ago and in the last month temperatures are on average -18. My Freelander rarely starts in the morning and I have to bring the battery indoors for warming up session next to a warm radiator for a few hours. When I refit the battery, it will start almost immediately (with the smell of diesel and a lot of white exhaust smoke). If I turn it off it will start again without any problem.

I have been advised to buy a Scandanavian winter battery that is able to handle the cold better than our UK batteries, my battery was fitted new before I came to Sweden.

Have you considered buying a heavy duty battery - does anybody think this will make any difference?
Well I eventually had to call out the Landrover recovery people again and this time it was a Landrover technician.

He said the smoke which was beeing produced when the engine was turning over proved that it wasn't a fuel problem and the fact that it tried to fire up proved that the compression was ok. So he said it must be the glow plugs as the car was delaying its start expecting the glowplugs to do their job then trying to turn over albeit the car wasn't able to start.

Well my Freelander 2 is now fix.... and the trouble was................. the glow plugs! Landrover garage was right. The car now waits a number of seconds before trying to turn over but when it does it starts first crank.

So the answer in my mind as to whether modern diesels/ the 2.2 PSA diesel engine need glowplugs to start in temperatures -2 and below is YES.

Thanks to all that have replied hope this helps other people with Freelander2's which don't like starting in these cold weather conditions.

Edited by Dougie_Mac on 09/01/2010 at 12:28

well done Dougie_mac. We had -14 the other morning but the freelander fired up instantly following the starter delay whilst the plugs heat. Glad to hear yours is sorted.
I must admit with winter tyres & snow mode & HDC it certainly goes everywhere I want. managed to scramble over a heap left by a snow plough great fun. Good job it has short overhang!