Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - OmNo
I was reading a report today in Which that (according to Warranty direct) the average incidence rate for engine failure is 11.3%- but with turbocharged engines the failure rate is 27.8%. That?s more than double.

(Why read it in 'Which?' when it's here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=35547.)

The cost of engine failure repair also increases, from an average £619 overall to £875 for turbocharged cars. The highest repair figure recorded by Warranty Direct for a turbo car is £2,485.

Also among diesel engines the average overall rate of problems on non-turbo cars is 25% at an average cost of £379, while for turbo cars the average problem rate is 32%, with an average cost of £399.

That said, the overwhelming majority of diesel engines are now turbocharged, so it?s not surprising to see more turbodiesel failures than non-turbodiesel ones; 85% of all the turbo failures handled by Warranty Direct related to diesel engines.

However, while non-turbo petrol cars still considerably outnumber turbo petrol cars, the average incidence rate is still higher for turbos ? 37% versus 25%. And the average repair costs are also higher: £371 for turbo petrols, £335 for non-turbo petrols.

I think HJ has been saying this for a while now hasn't he ?

Edited by Honestjohn on 05/12/2009 at 16:46

Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - JH
So one in four diesel turbos is going to fail? What does "fail" mean? If you mean a total failure requiring replacement then I don't believe it. If you mean any sort of failure at all, even the most pootling, then maybe. But at how many miles /how old? Every engine must "fail" one day, though the odometer may have gone round a good few times first.

I can't say that Which is a magazine that I would trust or go to for such information. Maybe if Waraanty Direct were to publish it, with appropriate supporting information and words, then it may be credible.

JH
JH - Warranty Direct have published the figures - you may not believe Which but they have not done anymore than report on WD's figures.
WD obviously see all kinds of failures - some total and some not - the data simply says if an engine has a turbo it is more probable to fail - obvious statement really when you think there is more to go wrong if you have a turbo than if you don't.
Are you suggesting that to obtain these figures WD reported only on high mileage turbo cars and compared them against low mileage non-turbo ?
I would say it is safe to think that there was a fair sample across all makes and mileages as WD cover all brands.
I'm simply suggesting that there are lies, damned lies and statistics, to quote Disraeli. Without qualifying language the numbers are meaningless.

Name one, current, non turbo, diesel engined car, for instance. So what are the turbo diesels being compared to?

JH
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - harib
Also, the question is WHY are the engines failing? If it's down to a lack of servicing or using the wrong type of oil or fuel, then it's not something that can be blamed on the engine manufacturers.

If you run a turbo-diesel car for donkeys years whilst the oil turns to sludge, then the turbo going pop isn't a surprise.
Same question applies harib - are you suggesting that WD compare high mileage unserviced turbo cars against low mileage FSH non turbo cars ?
Same question applies harib - are you suggesting that WD compare high mileage unserviced turbo
cars against low mileage FSH non turbo cars ?

I'm not suggesting anything. I just want to know why they are failing.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Armitage Shanks {p}
No car, turbo or not is not likely to be on WD's books from new as people usually have a 3 year maker's warranty and WD pick them up at that point
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Lygonos
The data, as presented, is of little value.

Unless failure rates are equivalent across manufacturers.

Of more use is manufacturer and individual engine data.

For example, comparing a VW 1.4TSi with a 1.6FSi would be more equivalent than comparing a 1.4TSi (122bhp) with a 1.4 (60,75 or 100bhp).

Statistics without explanation are worse than useless.
I love it when people argue with data.
And my guess is that if the data was reported in a manner that made more sense to BRers then the accusation of manipulating data to tell a story would be thrown in.
The explanation is It's simple really guys if a car has a turbo it goes wrong more times than one without - and if you compare a 1.4TSi with 1.6FSi or a 1.4 - what does this tell you - only that the 1.4TSI is more likely to fail than either the 1.4 or the 1.6.

europeanmotornews.com/2009/12/01/warranty-direct-t.../
I love it when people argue with data.
And my guess is that if the data was reported in a manner that made
more sense to BRers then the accusation of manipulating data to tell a story would
be thrown in.

But again - the question is WHY? I have no reason to defend turbos. My current car has one, my last car didn't. If the turbos are failing due to lack of maintenance, then what does this data tell you? That cars with turbos are more expensive to fix? That's not earth shattering news.
The point I was making harib was that with WD - "You must have your vehicle serviced at a VAT registered garage in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. You don't have to go to an expensive franchised dealer for your servicing."
So we can assume that all cars were serviced according to the book.
Apologies I did not make this clear in previous posts.
Like you I am not defending either way.
I also thought it an obvious statistic and was just reporting what I read.
Is this the picture across all turbo-charged engines or is it certain makers causing a skew in the data.

Anecdotally, at least, BMW seem to have a high rate of turbo-related problems.

A better break-down would help Joe Public see lemons and peaches.

I don't exactly see complaints of Subaru turbo failures on any forums I frequent (unless highly modified).
That is a very good point actually Lygonos - when you look at the Companies that have been know for Turbos in the past - Saab and Subaru - nobody ever reported particular problems with these.
Now that turbos are more common obviously the data is becoming more relevant but it does beg the question what is different now.
I also spotted that BMW do seem to have a particular problem.
Does anyone know if Subaru make their own turbos or are they bought in (most Japanese manufacturers like to be responsible for making their own parts).
"I love it when people argue with data". I'm pleased to hear it. It is the basis upon which scientific progress is made and SHOULD be argued with. Remember cold fusion from a few years back? That was an honest cock up, shown to be so by querying how the data was gathered, how the experiment was run, what was collected, how, by what equipment and attempting to replicate it. When the marketing men get their hands on "data"...

I still haven't heard the name of a non turbo diesel car manufactured in, ooh, let's say the last ten years.
JH

Edited by JH on 04/12/2009 at 19:57

Golf SDi.

Next ;-)

**EDIT** - surely the Aygo/C1 diesel is not a turbo - 55bhp from 1.4litres is gimp for a TD.

Edited by Lygonos on 04/12/2009 at 20:00

Thanks L you get the cigar. So now we've established that all of thes engines are being compared with the engine in a Golf SDi (ans presumably it's close cousins from Skoda etc). Not a very impressive and wide ranging data set.

JH
Comparing enines that (barely) push out 35bhp/litre with ones pushing up to 100+bhp/litre, you mean?

Not exactly comparable indeed.

I wonder how many failures are DPF (lighting the blue touchpaper...)
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Armitage Shanks {p}
JH - change the words Cold Fusion, in your post to Global Warming and you will see that goes around comes around!
That went through my mind but I thought we had enough argueing going on! :-)

JH
Sorry JH - I have glazed over now mate :-) I bow to your superior knowledge on cold fusion - is that a particular problem with turbos ?? :-)

I was always bought up to listen to the data - I don't think data should be argued with. Data is data - how people then turn that data into information is the problem and what we have here is a number of people assuming information that cars are not serviced etc because they disagree with the data.
By all means listen, please do listen. You won't learn otherwise. But the basis of advance is scepticism. Basically "prove it". Of course you can carry that too far, you need to strike a balance but statistics are dangerous. As I believe you well know, the cold fusion example was to point out the folly of believing everything you read, even when backed up with "data".

I still want to know what was in the non turbo sample. So far I've heard Golf SDi from Lygonos. No assumptions have been made. Reasonable questions have been aasked but no answers provided. Given such lack of information and the lack of context as pointed out by others, this survey isn't worth the electrons used to brighten my screen.

JH

Edited by JH on 04/12/2009 at 20:17

JH - scepticism does not advance anything - I agree that people should question but you cannot argue with raw data - it is what it is. Scepticism is what is posted here in that people are not prepared to accept the data but will argue against it without also knowing the facts. So I will try and put some common sense into play here.

In this example the data collected from all it's customers has demonstrated that turbo engine cars fail more than non-turbo cars.
The sample will be from the range of cars covered by WD and serviced in accordance manufacturers requirements.
There is an assumption that the data is not skewed in any way by having just small engine turbo and large engine non turbo for instance.
So if we assume that the sample population is of an even spread (based on the fact that WD cover all brands and ages above 3 years old) then we have reasonable confidence that the data is of statistical significance.
(If somebody had just posted turbo cars are more unreliable than non-turbo - the first thing people would ask is where is the data ?)
I agree that once you have the data then to determine information you would conduct a pareto analysis and this would then tell you the greatest cause of failure etc - but you cannot escape a very simple fact that turbo cars fail more than non-turbo - even over a significant sample and with standard service regimes.
I was always bought up to listen to the data - I don't think data
should be argued with. Data is data

Sorry - I agree with JH here. Statistics can be twisted and turned and biased and weighted any way you feel like. The initial data is a starting point for further discussion.
information is the problem and what we have here is a number of people assuming
information that cars are not serviced etc because they disagree with the data.

At what point have I said that I have disagreed with the data? I haven't. I want more information on the causes of turbo failure. Is it the turbo part itself? Is it the wrong oil? Is it lack of cooling/lubrication? Driving style? It's the answer to these questions that will provide more information as to whether the solution to breaking turbos is one that can be solved easily.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - nortones2
85% of the data set was for turbo diesels over 3 years old. SFAIK, HGV turbos are relatively trouble free, for very long mileages. I suspect the following for light duty vehicles: 1. escalation of ancillary faults into "turbo failure" as a profit target by the trade. 2. lack of maintenance. 3. lack of oil, by those who despise the injunction to RTFM:)
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Number_Cruncher
>>I don't think data should be argued with. Data is data.

Data indeed are data, and as such are beyond reproach. However, the methods used to gather, analyse, present, and interpret the data should always be subject to scrutiny. If you don't question the data, you almost certainly don't understand them.

The only point put forward by the data is that overall in the cars covered by Warranty Direct, there are more faults with cars with turbo-charged engines than non-turbocharged.

Does this mean product A fails more than product B? - no the data does not support this.

Does this mean people tend to warranty a car because they drive like idiots and are more likely to break it? - This is a recognised phenomenon across all type of insurance, but the data presented cannot show this effect.

Is my turbocharged car more likely to fail than Rattle's non-turbo Corsa - no the data doesn't show Subaru Forester vs VX Corsa.

Is a 200bhp N/A car more reliable than a 200bhp turbo'd unit - can't tell this either.

Indeed a turbocharged car has more parts and is generally more 'stressed' than a N/A vehicle but the questions we (as consumers) want answered aren't addressed by the data set on the link.

We need more detailed information and review of these results to draw useful consumer-centric conclusions.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Manatee
>>I love it when people argue with data.

The WD data need to be used carefully.

- what is a "rate"? Annual risk? Or during the time the cover was in force?

- average age and mileage of cars differs, but worth bearing in mind that with a few trivial exceptions the cars on risk are between 4-6 years old and 40,000-65,000 miles; it's unclear whether this is the age + mileage at inception, average on risk, or at point of failure - but we aren't talking about cars in the first flush of youth.

- some of the sample sizes will be small

- many current models (and old models for that matter) aren't included presumably because they are too new or the sample size is too small

- a very small proportion of cars on the road are covered, so I will guarantee there is a big skew versus the whole population - whether in type of use, age and attitude of users, or whatever. What effect this has is impossible to say.

- the overall failure rate could vary depending whether it is a true average (hence reflecting the mix of makes/models) or unweighted; both have their drawbacks, and the mix of cars on risk is likely to be biased to the least reliable brands for obvious reasons.

- the most useful comparisons IMO (and I have been involved in the technical aspects of warranty programmes) are of relative reliability and fault type at manufacturer level. Even then they can be distorted by one rogue model or epidemic fault, so check the model data for clues. The absolute failure rates may be a poor guide to actual failure rates in the whole fleet because of the various skews in the WD-insured population.

To summarise, I'd look at the comparative manufacturer reliability, and look at the model breakdown as a sense check. Manufacturers' reliability rarely changes overnight, so that tends to be strongly predictive.

I wonder if HJ (who is on first-name terms with the owners of WD) can get them to offer us a more detailed breakdown of failure types by vehicle maker/model ?
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Bill Payer
I too would like to know what they mean by "engine failure"?

You can't replace an engine for the sort of figures being spoken about - a few hundred pounds.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - b308
That'll be the turbo, surely? I stand to be corrected, but I'd always understood that a turbo failure doesn't usually lead to total engine failure?

BTW, the stats prove that a more complicated engine is more likely to have problems... now that news to us all!!
Thank You b308 - back to my original point on post #3 - "obvious statement really when you think there is more to go wrong if you have a turbo than if you don't."
I have just actually re-read all the posts and I believe we are all in violent agreement.
Turbo engine will cause more problems than non-turbos !
Few - I'm glad that one is over.
Turbo engine will cause more problems than non-turbos !
Few - I'm glad that one is over.

Not yet ;-)

A turbo engine is more complex, and the Warranty Direct stats appear to highlight this. But when you say "Turbo engine will cause more problems than non-turbos" what engines are you comparing? I'm sure that there are some turbo engines out there that cause less problems than some non turbo engines. Unfortunately the answer isn't often as simple as a few stats.
As you say harib - a turbo engine is more complex and the stats highlight this through the data demonstrating higher failure rates.

I agree that some turbo engines will be more reliable than some non-turbo - say a Honda iDTEC versus a VAG or Renault non-turbo but as you say the data hi-lights this to be the exception and not the norm.

As I say I'm glad that one is over and we are all agreeing.
I agree that some turbo engines will be more reliable than some non-turbo - say
a Honda iDTEC versus a VAG or Renault non-turbo but as you say the data
hi-lights this to be the exception and not the norm.

And surely this is proof that you can't just lean heavily on the statistics. There is not enough data from the Warranty Direct stats to prove anything conclusively. It may be a general trend, but there needs to be more breakdown of the results. How much, for instance to repair a turbo fault on an Impreza compared with a turbo fault on a Vectra? Is a turbo Skoda Octavia less likely to fail than a petrol Corsa? Sorry, the stats are too broad to come to an overall conclusion that turbo = bad, non-turbo = good that you seem to be striving towards?
Ah ! I see where you are going wrong now - assuming that I believe the data and think turbo cars are bad - it is not the case - I was simply repeating a report that showed WD data demonstrates cars with turbos have more failures than cars that don't. I don't think you can question the data (and you do not know if there is enough or not - as I said assuming a sample of statistical significance) - you seem to have changed your argument mid stream by saying that there is not enough data and then it is too broad !! And of course a turbo engine will be more expensive than a non-turbo to repair - you don't have to replace turbo associated hardware in a non-turbo car.
I don't think you can question the data (and
you do not know if there is enough or not - as I said assuming
a sample of statistical significance)

This is where we disagree. I think we can question the data. You're right. I don't know if there is enough of not - which is why it has to be questioned. If you're assuming things about the data, then I can't understand why you're not questioning it. If you're making assumptions about the data, then your assumptions may be incorrect.

- you seem to have changed your argument mid stream
by saying that there is not enough data and then it is too broad !!

When I say broad, I mean that the data is too generic. It needs to be broken down much more before we can make significant conclusions
And of course a turbo engine will be more expensive than a non-turbo to repair
- you don't have to replace turbo associated hardware in a non-turbo car.

It depends what goes wrong. A head gasket repair on a non turbo car will be cheaper to repair than a broken hose on a turbo car.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - WellKnownSid
The average overall rate of problems for turbo cars is 32% at an average cost of £399. Therefore the average 'risk' to Mr Average motorist in terms of an unexpected repair bill, even on a turbo car, is just £127.68p per year.

For non-turbo cars it's 25% @ £379 - just £94.75.

I don't know what a WD warranty actually costs these days, but I'll bet it's more than £127 a year for diesel, £94 a year for petrol!!
It was about £280 for the 1.9 TDi PD engine when I used them... and it never went wrong!!
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - nb857
I have no experience with turbo charged cars, but have been using turbo charged tractors and farm equipment for 20 years. I have seen 3 turbo failures but have used over 100 turbo charged engines and worked along side many more.

One of the turbos that failed was on a machine with circa 6000 hours and had been neglected. The block went porous shortly after. The other 2 turbos that failed were on machines that did alot of start stop work and were basicly the same engine. One of them lost an oil seal which sucked oil into the engine. The other was spitting oil on to the floor after and seal failed.

It's not unusual for these engines to be running under full load for many hours without any problems. Just keep the oil changed and allow them to cool down before they are switched off.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Altea Ego
"Also among diesel engines the average overall rate of problems on non-turbo cars is 25% at an average cost of £379, while for turbo cars the average problem rate is 32%, with an average cost of £399."

where have you been able to buy new non turbo diesels for the last three or four years? Must be a very small sample

I don't think your reading it correctly AE - it was an overall comparison - not just diesels - as b308 and others have said before - diesel turbo engines are more complex to meet emissions laws etc and hence more liable to fail.

We seem to keep agreeing with each other though which is good.
Must be a very small sample

And there is the real issue, and also why I'm very wary of Which reports as well, to have a fair comparrison we should see similar numbers, and thats very rarely the case, yet Which seem to still draw their conclussions regardless...

What was it... Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics?
What was it... Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics?

be careful b308 - many of the most successful companies in the world have have used statistics to be the best in their field (GE, Toyota, Motorola etc). Where companies have failed is that they ignore what the statistics are telling them.
Or twisted them to show what they want them to show and then got caught out....

Governments/Politicians are past masters at that!! ;-)
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - M.M
Manatee said.......The absolute failure rates may be a poor guide to actual failure rates in the whole fleet because of the various skews in the WD-insured population.

That's probably the most important factor in all this

In the fairly large sample of turbo diesels I have owned, maintained for others or know of in my contact circle none have suffered turbo or engine failure. Because we have them serviced properly and know they are cars with a decent history we do not insure them Warranty Direct. So Warranty Direct misses out on this large sample of reliable turbo diesel cars to even up its stats.
You seem to feel this data supports some point, OP.

What is it you think it shows?

Is my Subaru less reliable than an average N/A car?

Pointless data as it has zero to offer you or me buying a car. Which makes/models/engines ?

Funnily enough manual cars suffer more clutch failures than torque converter autos... BMW 7 series have more aircon problems that Austin Maxis.

It gives a nice soundbite for a lazy journalist though.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - cheddar
Stats are funny things, haven't read the data though of course turbo engines suffer more turbo failures than non-turbo engines. Could this simple fact be skewing the data?
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - movilogo
A more complex engine will have higher failure rate - not really surprising event.

Boeing 777 has 2 engines because they realised that if they fit 4 engines, more things can go wrong.

:)

Probably more to do with the fact that 4 engines drink twice as much fuel, weigh twice as much, and cost twice as much.

As the pilot at heathrow found out, statistically you can actually land (ok a bit roughly) with no engines, so why not do away with them completely?
Clearly written by someone with absolutely no knowledge of aerospace economics and operation.
And I am accused of being factually incorrect.
I now feel reprieved.
And clearly read by someone with no sense of humour

Clearly I don't share a similar sense of humour to others on this site - I always considered a plane crash to lack humour in every way.
Still - each to their own EA.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - cheddar
>>Boeing 777 has 2 engines because >>

Google "ETOPS"

Three or four engines used to be required for trans ocean flight, ETOPS introduced system redundancy etc enabling twins to be certified.

Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Roly93
Another factor which could skew these statistics is the fact that a lot of turbos are replaced needlessly by garages who eithert dont understand the true nature of the fault, or are just fleecing the unknowing owner.

There are loads of things - many quite quick and cheap to fix, that cause lack of boost or low power, but some mechnics tend to go straight for the turbo.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - jag
torbos fail mostly because numpty drivers jump in and floor the pedal from cold and charge to a stop and switch off when hot. i suppose the touran turbo will now go pop.
jag.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - dimdip
Yes, it seems impossible to separate out basic reliability of turbo systems, from damage caused by neglect. Perhaps one tentative conclusion is that N/A engines are more tolerant of neglected servicing and/or lack of owner 'mechanical sympathy', though the shorter lube service intervals of turbos feeds directly into that, too.

Someone earlier made the comparison to Saabs and Subarus; the fact that the majority of these will have been cherished private cars must count for a great deal. Whereas I presume a much larger proportion of the Warranty Direct cars will be ex-company / lease / rental that have just entered private ownership, and so will have been less likely to have been cared for in early life.

If it /is/ true that turbos are less relaible than N/A, then coupled with HJ's news item that turbos are likely to become the norm, that's bad news for the motorist in the long term I guess. Turbos cost, what, £500? So that's greater expense at point of sale, greater lifetime repair costs, and potentially a shortened vehicle life since turbo failure would prove an uneconomic repair at an earlier age, and so greater depreciation :(

Edited by dimdip on 05/12/2009 at 20:32

Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - rtj70
Turbos cost, what, £500?

And then a fair bit more.

I have started to wonder if the environmental rules that may appear to guide the motoring manufacturers to make more efficient cars is not them making cars more costly to repair so they can sell more new cars. For example:

- I have had a few turbo petrol cars out of choice but soon that will be the norm. Out of warranty these could be costly. Instead of a reliable ten year old 2.0 Mondeo petrol you'll have a ten year old turbo charged 1.4 turbo Mondeo.

- LED lights - how much do they cost to repair/replace

- Stop-start - again how much to replace/repair down the line?

- Regenerative braking....

- DMFs

- DPFs

- DSGs

- Hybrids

... this is for a different thread to discuss though.

Edited by rtj70 on 05/12/2009 at 21:43

Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Old Navy
- Regenerative breaking....

>>
Is that automatic recycling? :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 05/12/2009 at 21:22

Yes... :-) Well no of course.

Was posting at the same time as taking an old Mac iBook apart to fix a problem with the system board. Of course I meant braking.
we bitch and whine these days, when a DMF fails at 110k miles. A turbo at 80k miles.

50 years ago, the whole car was in the breakers yard after 100k miles. It was considered normal to get a recon engine at 50k miles.

Edited by Webmaster on 06/12/2009 at 02:18

Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - the swiss tony
>>
Instead of a reliable
ten year old 2.0 Mondeo petrol you'll have a ten year old turbo charged 1.4
turbo Mondeo.

Wake up people!
you wont have ten year old cars in ten years!
already there are cars that by 8 years are uneconomical to repair, as technology marches onwards, then the average age of cars will drop - as will the residuals.
Im really not sure where that will lead us, maybe only the rich owning cars again?
swiss tony, that is the point I'm making too. Stop shouting! :-)

All this technology is in the interest of the manufacturer.
Take one mole hill

create

One Mountain
My next car will probably be turbo petrol, stop-start, regen braking, LED lights, etc. And I'll enjoy it. It might be diesel instead of petrol but if a turbo petrol does provides good mpg and low emissions I might go back to petrol.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - gordonbennet
Im really not sure where that will lead us maybe only the rich owning cars
again?

Same as recently no doubt, in debt till the pips squeak.
We'll see hard times in the next few years when mortgage rates spiral.
Going to be strange car owning times, many of us have been through hard times when we'd buy basically scrap cars and fix them up, that won't be an option with the techno wonders.

I agree with you about many present day cars not going to make 10...only carefully selected fairly simple vehicles likely to make the term imo.
We'll see hard times in the next few years when mortgage rates spiral.

Assuming they do spiral. But that's for another thread. Don't debate here.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Mr.Tee43
So where in the reliability stakes will the new 1.4TSI engine from VW be, with its turbocharger and supercharger ?
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - mattbod
We are going to have to get used to small turbo engines in the medium term as manufacturers strive to maintain good performance while meet emissions and economy targets. Renault are advertising a 1.4 turbo on here, VAG has it's TSI and I hear Ford will have downsized turbos too!

As for failure my 130 TDI PD let go its turbo at 35K and it's well looked after.
A Passat petrol (1.8T) I had new in 2000 needed a new turbo on delivery!
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Andy P
Does it state the age range of the cars involved in the "statistics"? To me, a company like Warranty Direct will look after cars that are outside the manufacturer warranty period and may have gone on to independant servicing. Without knowing the exact history of those that failed, it's impossible to draw a definite conclusion - these figures are just that - figures.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Manatee
>>Does it state the age range of the cars involved in the "statistics"?

Good question.

I'd take the whole story with a pinch of salt, in the absence of more detailed information about what the data are and how they have been used. Even then, the information is necessarily way out of date.

For example - suppose you are considering a 2 or 3 year old CRV 2 or 3 turbo diesel.

Look at the reliability index on WD. You'll find that Honda is the second most reliable manufacturer in their list, after Suzuki.

According to the index, Honda is about twice as reliable as Ford and four times as reliable as Saab, Mercedes and Audi, and about three times as reliable as the average. Actually, what it seems to mean is that WD has had a half, quarter or third the cost of claims per policy on Hondas - read into that what you will.

So far, so good - a factor of 2, 3 or 4 is significant and manufacturer rankings don't usually change overnight.

The model analysis pretty well bears out the manufacturer level index, which if anything puts Honda in an even better light - the poorer figures are coming from the older versions of the various models (though not necessarily older cars when on risk - just older data), the later ranges are better.

So Honda has in the past been a manufacturer of relatively more reliable vehicles - of that I would be reasonably sure. It's difficult to go much beyond that IMO.

Because - the last CRV version in the results published is the 97-02 model, the CRV I. In fact the most recent Hondas included are the 99-03 Accords. The CRVs in the analysis were all manufactured 7 or more years ago. They were on average nearly 6 years old during the time on risk. Honda did not even manufacture any diesel engines at the time, turbo or otherwise. It is now on its second generation diesel and the first generation has yet to influence the WD index.

Getting back to the point debated above - whether turbo engines are more than twice as likely to fail. I would be sceptical of the relevance of that to anyone buying a 2-4 year old car now. If Honda are anything to go by, the data underlying the analysis mainly relate to cars between 7 and 10 years old. Since then, turbo diesels have become a much bigger part of the fleet, and some of the early well known epidemic problems with certain makes have been more or less overcome. On the other hand, DPFs have become ubiquitous, a factor which may also be largely absent in the experience behind the results.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - turbo11
I have owned three petrol turbo cars(Escort RS Turbo, Cosworth Escort Turbo and Renault GT2 Turbo). Did 90,000 miles(each) in two of them and 12,000 in the Cosworth(had to sell to buy my first house!.)Never had a engine failure with any of them.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - DP
I have a 152,000 mile turbo petrol (with variable cam timing, drive by wire, canbus and all manner of other "horrors"), which is as reliable as the tides. A properly designed, cooled and lubricated turbocharger installation is nothing to worry about with modern oils and of course correct and timely servicing. With regard to my particular car, there are 250,000 mile examples still running perfectly happily on their original turbos.

I remember when 60,000 miles was a good life for a turbocharger, and when a friend got 100,000 out of the blower on his RS Turbo, the mechanics at the Ford garage who were tasked with the work were all citing it as some kind of miracle. That wasn't that long ago either.

Of course there are manufacturers (Renault, VW and others) who have had serious design flaws with the turbocharger installations on some of their engines at some point in time, which have resulted in an escalated number of failures. I wonder if these contribute to the higher statistics in this report?

Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Mr.Tee43
As a VW owner I would be interested to know what design flaw you refer to, is it the variable vane technology ?

I had one replaced under warranty because the vanes sooted up and would stick causing overboost and limpmode, but I think it was replaced rather then fixed because that is the way with big dealers these days and of course the manufacturer pays .

If it happened again, I would clean it because I would be paying this time.
Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - DP
I was actually thinking of the oil starvation problems affecting the earlier 1.8T petrol engines (which were known for blowing turbos), but yes the VNT system can be troublesome on the PD engines.

I have a VW PD and I love it, but I am told by someone who spends 5 days a week working on VWs and Audis that a sticking VNT mechanism, (along with MAF failure) is something I can almost expect if I keep it a long time. It can be fixed, and it's not the end of the world, as you say, but it is a very common problem. I guess it would count as a turbo failure for warranty purposes given that the dealer will just bolt a new unit on rather than clean out the (otherwise perfectly serviceable) old one.

Turbo engines suffer double the failure rate - Engineer Andy
I agree that the WD figures are (in my opinion) just that - I wrote to them recently concerning this subject, and they agreed that their "Reliability Index" is subjective, as many cars are not included as the sample is too small (they said that a disclaimer states this on their website) - my own car, a Mazda 3 (which by all accounts is one the most reliable in its class), is one of those missed off.

One of my points to them (which they didn't seem to contend) was that the figures don't include details of previous repairs/replacements of defective parts (whether under the manufacturer's warranty or not) BEFORE taking up WD's product - as such, some cars which actually aren't that reliable may have a whole swathe of relatively new parts, meaning that they may have a lifespan advantage over the more reliable cars which have original equivalents. I wonder what affect this may have on the results of any survey.

I find it amazing that (in my opinion) such reports/surveys seem to be so readily reported as "facts" on third-party websites (see MSN as an example) when such large sampling errors exist. My understanding from what WD told me, was that their figures are based only on the number and cost of warranty claims, and therefore the reason why their customers took out the warranties were not factored into their calculations (amongst other things, e.g. customer profiles).