How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - martinalexander
Hi, I've just test-driven a Suzuki Jimny. The salesman explained I could put the car into 4wd by (after stopping the car) pressing in the clutch and depressing the footbrake at the same time - I could then move the 2nd, smaller gearstick. It seemed to have 3 natural positions but I'm not sure what they do!
Could anyone explain how 4wd on the Jimny works? I don't intend to use it a great deal but it would be essential to understand. What function does the 'normal ' gearstick serve in 4wd? Any advice appreciated.

Edited by martinalexander on 01/12/2009 at 19:25

How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - rtj70
The "gearstick" you refer to is no doubt changing the gear ratios in the transfer box for real low-speed 4 wheel drive ability. i.e. this is a small real 4 wheel drive vehicle with the ability to select a low gearbox range.

I don't think what you refer to is about 2wd or 4wd selection. Probably about to be corrected by someone. But I think it could switch from 2wd to 4wd on the move.

Edited by rtj70 on 01/12/2009 at 20:11

How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - Lygonos
This must be quite an old Jimny - for some years they've had push buttons that allow changing while moving.

Assuming this is the predecessor for the button changes, the 2nd lever will act upon the transfer box:
position 1 = RWD
Position 2 = 4WD
Position 3 = 4WD with lower ratios (eg. rather than around 17mph/1000rpm in 5th, you'll get around 10mph/1000rpm - only really necessary for 'proper' off-road work).

How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - boggles
Lots of information about Jimny driving, and how to use the 4wd feature on suzuki4u.
Just to answer your last question, the "normal" gear lever selects the 5 speeds, whether you are in 4wd or 2wd. The 4wd system is very basic, unlike Discovery's, Freelanders etc, there is no viscous coupling in the drive. This means that all the wheels want to corner at the same speed in 4wd. Consequently, 4wd is only used in muddy, gravelly, or snowy conditions,this lets the wheels slip a bit to relieve transmission wind -up.
How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - 1400ted
Martin, this may be of interest to you, I have a LWB Vitara TD Auto and I find it useful.
If you have the little gearknob it might be the same system as mine.
I don't use any pedals to change the drive or ratios.

tinyurl.com/yzhwhat

Ted
How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - helicopter
Lygonos explanation of Jimny 4WD operation is correct.

The Jimny is great fun - particularly on holidays.

I have many times hired a Jimny in Crete and Kefalonia and done what I consider some serious off roading in the mountains around the Samaria Gorge in Crete and Mt Aenos in Kefalonia .

After much debate I once took SWMBO and helicopter jr up a rutted , hairpinned narrow 4 km mountain track with edges crumbling over unfenced drops of up to 1000 ft, scaring myself with thoughts of certain death should I slide off on this very narrow track.

I was using the Jimny in 4WD and reached a mountain retreat called Kallergi with spectacular views over the Samaria gorge.

Congratulating myself on getting there in one piece I went round the other side of the retreat to find parked there -- a large caravan, well lashed down against the wind!

I then asked the guy at the retreat how they got it up there and he said it was on the back of a lorry.

Respect to the lorry driver is all I can say....

How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - martinalexander
Thanks all for useful information. It is an older Jimny (2000) with a small gearstick/4wd selector.
Lygonos, your description of the gear positions sounds spot on. Would you happen to know the position of rwd/4wd/4wd lwr ratios? From the test drive, the salesman though the middle position was the rwd position but I wonder if it was actually the next 'notch' forward(toward the engine) with the 4wd lwr ratios location furthest to the back.

Thank you for the website forum link Ted - much appreciated.
How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - Lygonos
I have no idea - I would have thought there'd be a wee sticker next to the lever, or it will be in the owner's handbook if still present.

www.jimny.se is an English language site run by a Swede (Boris Ekner) - you'll get answers to any query you may have by registering there. You can even find a link to full workshop manual (= the one used by dealerships) if you look around...
How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - Martin Devon
My Jimny Auto 'W' reg. Same applies for manual I believe.

The small Knob (Transfer box lever).

Forward position = 2 wheel drive (rear) high ratio.
Back one notch (mid position) = 4 wheel drive high ratio.
Back again = 4 wheel drive low ratio.

NOW LISTEN UP!! From 2wd high, you can engage 4 wheel drive high on the move. I have found that it is best at say no more than 20 MPH although I have to confess that I have had, (or haven't seen any reason) to do this at a quicker speed, keeping the front wheels in the straight ahead position, it slips in just nicely (OooH! Matron). Similarly back out again.

Now then Now then. From 4 high to 4 low requires you to STOP, engage neutral (I think) and again with the front wheels straight, gently pull it back into 4 low. Simples really.

HTH...........MD
How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - 1400ted
From another son of Devon....Martin is spot on.
My Vitara is the same...It may even share the transfer box with the Jimmmbbly

Seemples as well

Ted

tinyurl.com/ycopwuo
How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - movilogo
How the 4WD works in Jimny? Does it have centre differential or viscous coupling?

How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - J Bonington Jagworth
"Does it have centre differential or viscous coupling?"

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, otherwise there would be no need to have a 2WD option (the corollary being that you shouldn't use 4WD on tarmac). This is not necessary a disadvantage, though, as you get more warning when you're running out of grip, so that selection of 4WD will nearly always get you out of trouble. One less thing to go wrong, too... :-)
How does 4wd on a Jimny work? - movilogo
Yes, I can confirm that from Jimny forum.

It is usually RWD. But has an engageable FWD if necessary.
So, it won't run in AWD in normal road surface.

Grand Vitara, on other hand, does have a lockable centre differential.