Renaul Clio 1.6 RXE (Water getting in) - Will_375
I have a Renault Clio 1.6 RXE 1998 Model. I have had the car since new with no problems until quite recently. The first failure was of the central locking not wanting to lock the doors or activate the alarm; the second failure was of the driver electric window getting stuck in the down position (isn't this always the case - never stuck up!). I managed to trouble-shoot the problems to relays in the multi-timer unit (around pasenger foot level) where I found that there was dampness on the relays suggsting water was getting in somewhere. I have been pulling my hair out trying to find out where the water can be getting in as there is no real evidence of a leak. The car does have air-con but that has not been used for ages, I have also checked for a leaking heater matrix etc but with no joy. The car does have a tilt and slide sunroof, but I can't see how water can migrate from the roof to lower down without leaving more evidence. Can anybody give me a steer as to how water could be getting in behind the engine bulkhead and in to the passenger cell? I am talking a small leak too, as the sound proofing and carpet is also dry, but after the recent rain the relays are again wet, almost as if the water is being dropped dirctlty on the multi-timer unit, and then falling down to the relays which plug in to the unit upsidedown. Can anybody please help me, or at least give me some handy hints where to look next.
Many thanks
Will_375
Renaul Clio 1.6 RXE (Water getting in) - madf
Try the following.
Leaves/dirt in the bulkhead where the wiper motor lives: blocking the drain holes (usually at each end)

From underneath the car, check the seam sealnt above the area in case it is missing.

The water is clearly coming DONW the car as the carpets so far are dry (are you sure?) .. which suggests ingress from above.

Is the relay at the side beside the door sill? If so you may be getting leaks from a split drain hose from the sunshine roof (if there is such a hose). Or in from the door seals ?

Test by hosing down the car when someone is inside it looking for a leak.?

Is it water or antifreeze? A clean white cloth could help you decide. If it dries to the colour of the coolant you have a heater hose leak.. Probaly a loose union (yes I had it in a BMW once)