Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - moonshine
"The Dutch government approved a bill on Friday that will implement a new per-kilometer-tax on drivers. Beginning in 2012 the law will abolish current road taxes and sales taxes for automobiles, cutting the cost of a new car by 25 percent, in favor of the pro-rated distance tax.

Drivers will be charged 0.03 euros per kilometer (7 cents US per mile) in an attempt to reduce traffic jams fatal accidents and carbon emissions.

The tax will increase every year until 2018, when it will cost 6.7 cents per kilometer to drive in Holland."

www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4893141,00.html

Scary stuff if you ask me. Lets hope it never makes it over here. Completely pointless and we already have a perfect tax in place - fuel duty.
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - Armitage Shanks {p}
How will this work for visitors and vehicles in transit? Windscreen stickers like Austria, Czech Republic and Switzerland?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 16/11/2009 at 20:11

Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - moonshine

Who knows, just add it to the list of problems with this type of system.
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - mickeybay
Just read the article. It says that road and sales tax will be abolished 'in favour of the pro-rated distance tax'. Who are the 'pro's' who will rate this, will they come from the famous Amsterdam red-light district?
If, however, the tax will be pro-rata, then...
I presume we will have to buy some kind of smart card that can be read from an overhead gantry as per the HGV motorway tax in Germany.

We are heading from open borders across Europe to borders where you have to stop and buy various smart cards and vignettes. Soon the cost of driving across Europe will be prohibitive, maybe that's the point. I like to use the French motorways for exactly this reason, they are empty, the cost keeps all the poor people away. Now all we need is increased flight taxes to keep the proles off the airplanes. Oh, we already have that!

Germany is thinking how they can bring in a similar tax. It is strongly opposed. However, they do have a problem with all the Dutch (and people like me who fill up in France) driving through Germany to get to Italy and other places south. You can fill a diesel up and drive through Germany without using any of their taxed fuel, and so pay nothing for the road use. It was mostly this logic which lead to the HGV tax.

Anyone have any ideas?
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - bell boy
I like to use the French motorways for exactly this reason, they are empty, the cost keeps all the poor people away
>.
>>>>>>>>>>>> :-00000000000000000
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - mickeybay
>>>>>>>>>>>> :-00000000000000000

Look up irony :-) , or was your smiley being ironic at my irony?
i dont do irony
the wife does it
im chief plate washer
see
:-)
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - gmac
Beginning in 2012 the law will abolish current road taxes and sales taxes for
automobiles cutting the cost of a new car by 25 percent in favor of the
pro-rated distance tax.

Presumably you'll need to have a Dutch address to qualify otherwise German, Belgian and UK dealers will not be able to compete.
It could be good news for the port of Zeebrugge. I bet P&O will be watching traffic to see if there is much of a shift from the Hull --> Europoort crossing to Zeebrugge. DFDS may have to up sticks too.

Edited by gmac on 16/11/2009 at 21:11

How will every Dutch registered car be tracked and charged and how will no-payers be chased/penalised? Standby for an outbreak of cloned or fake plates. I'll bet the money in hand from payments, after taking into account the infrastructure and admin, won't amount to much.
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - CGNorwich
How will every Dutch registered car be tracked and charged

I believe a gps based unit will be fitted to every Dutch registered vehicle.
i reckon they will make a hash of it
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - CGNorwich
more info

tinyurl.com/ybuatqy

Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - Nickdm
A per-kilometre tax is levied on diesel-powered vehicles in NZ. It equates to approx 2 pence per km. A card/sticker on your windscreen shows how many km you have purchased based upon the total km figure on the car's odometer. So the tax paid can only be verified with the driver present and the key in the ignition... Then again, the kiwi police seem to like random roadside spot-checks for registration, MOT (also a sticker on the windscreen), drink-driving etc.

The scheme is administered quite simply and effectively through the post office, in the same way that tax disks are renewed in the UK I guess.

Hasn't car insurance based upon mileage also already been floated in the UK? I guess any of these schemes can be implemented in the same way as the London congestion charge, with roadside cameras, scanners, barcodes etc?
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - Kiwi Gary
Heavy vehicles [ 2.5 ton upwards ] have to have an approved make and model of hub-odometer fitted and visible for inspection by the powers that think they be, so the driver doesn't have to be around. Only cars and light vehicles can use their own odometer.

This way of taxation actually applies to any vehicle not petrol-powered, not just diesel vehicles, so electric cars, should they be received, will also be on distance tax. Diesel fuel is tax-free at the pump. The distance tax is based on a combination of gross vehicle mass and distance run, so the B-doubles [ as we call our double-artics mentioned in another thread ] pay top rate. Trailers have their own hub-odometers, by the way, so they are not charged if not running.

There is a movement to change to distance tax for all vehicles, but not yet strong. The Treasury has formally and publically informed the Gummint that the tax take is reducing rather rapidly because we tight-fisted Kiwis are buying more economical cars, hence the reduction in petrol tax grab.
Nickdm - your 3rd paragraph may well be what happens but see my earlier query/coment re vast cost of setting up and administering such a system.

Kiwi Gary thanks for your interesting news on the system in NZ; I am not sure how well it would or could be made to work with the number of vehicles we have in UK.We have a lot of tourists cars and a lot of visiting lorries. I don't see how they are going to pay. As I said earlier, perhaps a few days validity windscreen sticker bought on arrival in UK miht be the way forward
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - gmac
i reckon they will make a hash of it

Not the Dutch. Not when there is money involved :)
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - martint123
I'm all for it. Someone who has a very low annual mileage in a car (like me) finds the road tax a large percentage of annual running costs.

However, knowing out lot, the per mile charges would be "in addition to", rather than "instead of"
Dutch approve per-kilometer tax for drivers - Snakey
attempt to reduce traffic jams fatal accidents and carbon emissions.

As soon as I see that carbon emissions phrase I know my wallet is about to get hit! Maybe its only Holland at the minute but our greedy government must be looking closely at this scheme.