Don't leave the key in the car - Optimist
Now I know that to leave the key in the car is a stupid and unfortunate thing to do but we all have stupid moments and do unfortunate things.

That's why we have insurance, right?

Not if you insure with LV where a general exclusion is:

Loss of or damage to your car by theft or attempted theft if your car has
been left unlocked, left with the keys in it or left with a window or roof open.

Is this common practice?

Don't leave the key in the car - Pugugly
Seems fair and not an unusual clause.
Don't leave the key in the car - Robin Reliant
There was a thread here a year or two back where one of a poster's delivery drivers had his van stolen after he had left it with the keys in the ignition. The insurance company refused to pay out.

Fair enough, were I the insurer I wouldn't have either.
Don't leave the key in the car - Westpig
Is this common practice?

Yes.

On petrol station forecourts, o/s newsagents in the mornings, outside people's houses on cold frosty mornings, etc....

More prevalent than you'd imagine...
Sorry.

To clarify: I was asking was it common practice to have the exclusion clause in the policy T&C's.

Don't leave the key in the car - Pugugly
Certainly in mine.
OK.

I was trying to edit my post when you replied to say that since most cars have immobilisers and won't go anywhere unless the car recognises the key, it seems to me that the theft cover is only good if you're in the car when it's taken by hijack or it's lifted onto a truck.

I know the whole point of insurance is not to pay out but if you're not covered for a bit of carelessness....................
Don't leave the key in the car - bell boy
I know the whole point of insurance is not to pay out but if you're not covered for a bit of carelessness....................
>
>>>> would you leave your wallet on the dashboard?
its the same thing
please dont answer this :-)
Don't leave the key in the car - ifithelps
... it seems to me that the theft cover is only good if you're in the car when it's taken by hijack or it's lifted onto a truck...

Fair point, so anyone trying to run a cheap car cheaply should consider third party only cover, which I believe is still legal for the public road.

Don't leave the key in the car - gmac
To clarify: I was asking was it common practice to have the exclusion clause in
the policy T&C's.

There is usually something and you should carefully study the documentation you receive as renewing with the same company can sometimes have changes in there.

I changed companies with my motorbike insurance this summer. The new company have a Garaging Warranty. This says they will not cover my bike for loss and/or damage caused directly by theft, attempted theft or malicious damage between the hours of 10pm and 7am unless the bike is in a locked and secure building at my house or a previously agreed address specified with them.

Just watch at country pubs in the summer for the bikers disappearing Cinderella style at 9:30pm to have their bikes safely tucked up before the witching hour of 10pm.
Don't leave the key in the car - Andrew-T
House insurers certainly won't pay up if it was unlocked before an entry and theft. Why should a car be different? A certain duty of care rests on the owner/claimant.
Don't leave the key in the car - henry k
House insurers certainly won't pay up if it was unlocked before an entry and theft.

>>
An insurance company, this year, paid up in full to a relative of mine.
Laptops, DSLR camera etc etc went. The house back door was not locked.

I was surprised at the payout and there was no hassle.
Don't leave the key in the car - movilogo
IIRC this clause is common to all insurers!
Don't leave the key in the car - bathtub tom
My pushbike insurance says it must be locked to 'an immovable object'.

I suppose that's fine as long as any tea-leaf doesn't use an unstoppable force to remove it.
Don't leave the key in the car - jbif
Is this common practice? >>

Yes, and discussed here before. Eg:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=69800&...f
"DON'T leave your keys in the car when you get out"

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=65216&...f
"Delivery van stolen - keys left in "

and others.

Also, see these:
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/techni...l
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombuds...m
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombuds...m

The key link which is worth noting is:
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/techni...l
October 2009
This note describes our current approach to cases where a consumer complains to us that an insurer has refused to pay a claim for the theft of a vehicle ? when the ignition keys were left in or on the car.

Edited by jbif on 15/11/2009 at 19:53

Don't leave the key in the car - Robin Reliant
When I worked for a local authority about 25 years ago either the insurers or fire authorities insisted that all vehicles at the councils main depot had to have the keys left in the ignition so they could be moved in the event of an emergency. It wasn't unheard of for new or nearly new vehicles to disappear from the yard, which was open 24/7 and "guarded" by a low paid watchman.
Don't leave the key in the car - Hamsafar
"To clarify: I was asking was it common practice to have the exclusion clause in the policy T&C's."

It has been on every policy I have had since I started driving 17 years ago.