07 1.4 intermitent problems just after starting - macsbram
My car is a R Clio Dynamique 1390cc 1st reg 1/4/07. Still under warranty.
I have an intermittent problem when i first start the car, that the garage say they cannot find, probably because it doesn't happen everytime! When i first start the engine everything is OK, If I rev up the engine to 3000 revs its okay but once i engage gear and reach about 2000 revs it suddenly dies. No warning lights have ever come on. I have to change up and down gear and slow down to an almost standstill until after a minute or so it warms up and then works OK. This has gone on for some time and I now notice that when the revs die if i put my foot down on the accelerator to try and 'push'it it will suddenly surge up then die back down and become a bit juddery. Problem only in the first few minutes of starting, the car might be cold but the weather is not that cold and damp yet and the car's not that old. Surely a garage mechanic can work out what is wrong, looking on the web i thought it could be something to do with an ECU failing to tell the choke to increase fuel when its first needed.
First time in garage they did a diagnostic and said there was a recognised Clio problem and replaced the accelerator cable that was fouled up, BUT ITS JUST THE SAME.
I always thought it seems to be very lacking in power when driving, not what I would call nippy which i expected from a small 1.4 car but it seems to be worse, quite flat. The garage also increased the idling speed and I swear the MPG has dropped to 35MPG.